• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some of the 16mm footage on the most recent Tom Baker "The Collection" hasn't been re-scanned.

There is a very real possibility the original 16mm materials no longer exist.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Some of the 16mm footage on the most recent Tom Baker "The Collection" hasn't been re-scanned.

There is a very real possibility the original 16mm materials no longer exist.

(FYI: It's 'The Face of Evil' I was referencing)

That is a distinct possibility but since they didn't bother to present the deleted footage that they'd definitely re-scanned from film elements for the original SD DVD release, in new HD, I'm suspicious that corners were cut.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My first Doctor.  Only took a worldwide pandemic to bring him back.  Beyond thrilled!!

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

Hey, if he starts here, maybe it'll eventually turn into a live action return?  I HOPE HOPE HOPE that for the 60th anniversary they do something crazy like, I don't know, have ALL of the living Doctors together on screen?  Crazy thought, I know.  It was the ONLY thing that I was HUGELY disappointed in with the 50th.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Indeed.  I don't care if it's shit plotwise, just so long as they get those actors together and the writing nails their incarnations' quirks.  Even Dimensions in Time would have been a lot more bearable if the Doctors actually met one another.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If his Big Finish experience is a positive one, I'd be surprised if he DIDN'T return for the 60th in some capacity, even if it's a simple "Night of the Doctor" style short.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some tests (nothing conclusive, but getting there)

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/FBBECNNU

I used a variety of methods to see how close I could get this compressed frame from Google into a semblance of acceptable quality for hd and in color. I don't think I achieved that yet but I'm just starting. A lot of Photoshop and a lot of help from AI tools, this is an experiment and not meant to be definitive of anything.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:

I used a variety of methods to see how close I could get this compressed frame from Google into a semblance of acceptable quality for hd and in color. I don't think I achieved that yet but I'm just starting. A lot of Photoshop and a lot of help from AI tools, this is an experiment and not meant to be definitive of anything.

WOW!!! Nicely done good sir!!!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:

The coloring looks great and the upscaled faces are an improvement, but everything else got much blurier.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
The coloring looks great and the upscaled faces are an improvement, but everything else got much blurier.

Yeah that was a lens blur I added to the foreground and background, attempting to add depth and also cover up parts of the background where I went too hard with the smoothing. Maybe weird, but it was intentional.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice attempt.  Hartnell looks a bit off with his lips (they are very thin, the AI makes them too thick) and skin tone, plus there are haloing artifacts around him.  The others are much better but as has been mentioned you are losing a lot of original details in there.  I'm sure you've seen BabelColour's work in colorization, if not they are great examples of this.

00f180e194a66f841286b163b18b3e45.png

Babelcolour-Reign-of-Terror-01.jpg
Babelcolour-Unearthly-Child-02.jpg
Babelcolour-Unearthly-Child-01.jpg

More: http://babelcolour.com/hartnell/frames/season-one/#!

He has done colorization work for the official DVDs as well, for some Pertwee era episodes as well as some deleted footage from Terror of the Zygons.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Handman"
I don't expect to get anywhere near as good as BabelColour, I have seen his stuff, it's amazing. Thank you for posting those examples, it's something to aspire to. I'll try to remember to look at more reference next time and not just wing it with the colors.

I've been trying to keep quiet about this idea until I have time to dig into it but the thoughts don't stop. Spoiler tags in case you don't want to see me ramble.

My real goal is to find a chain of programs and settings that will do an acceptable job of coloring and upscaling, require minimal manual work, and be able to mass reproduce the results for whole black and white seasons (and eventually fan edit them). Frankly I'm nowhere near achieving that either, this one image took a lot of manual work and I'm still poking at it making little improvements and changes.

The color in this started with Photoshop's new neural filters, there's one filter to colorize automatically. I found it a bit bland so I changed the colors a lot after the fact, but that blandness I think will be at least consistent. As in, I think you could feed in a ton of frames of footage and the quality and temperature of the colors will remain stable.

This means there's a starting point, software that will (possibly, testing pending) work for semi-automating colorization of video without flickering badly, so at a later point colors can be enhanced or altered in a relatively small quantity keyframes and the keyframes' style can be transferred to all video frames either with Ebsynth (which isn't magic but should work with color adjustments perfectly) or possibly with Photoshop's new style transfer tool (which I haven't tested yet). That's a lot of maybes, but there's hope.

I'm also counting this as separate tests, there's the upscale, and there's the colorization. One might work better than the other and prove more feasible.

By the time the workflow is ironed out and the output looks good enough to me, the first and second Doctor Blu rays may have already released and would probably give the cleanest starting point for source footage. This experiment will be slow until more software magic shows up.

You're right, the AI didn't handle Hartnell well, I think I lost too much detail before getting to the face upscale. I definitely overdid some smoothing so really all the faces are uncanny if you zoom in enough. The halos are because of the blur I also overdid. :)

I'm gonna try ripping one of my Hartnell dvd stories and start from full quality frames for my next round of experiments.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh no! That does not bode well. Hopefully they really focus on giving us eight stellar stories this year or it could be the end.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Oh no! That does not bode well. Hopefully they really focus on giving us eight stellar stories this year or it could be the end.

It's due to covid based filming restrictions, although yeah hopefully fewer episodes means better writing.

Top Bottom