• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
asterixsmeagol said:
This apparent discrepancy can be explained easily if 
the Eighth Doctor encounters Mary Shelley at a later point in her life than the Thirteenth Doctor. The Eighth Doctor and Mary have their adventures, then from the Thirteenth Doctor's point of view, she meets Mary again, but from Mary's point of view they have never met. The story features the re-writing of history, so for this Altered-Point-of-View-Mary, her encounters with the Eighth Doctor will never occur.

That can't work because Haunting of Villa Diodati and Mary's Story both take place on the same night...

This apparent discrepancy can still be explained easily if
the Eighth Doctor encounters Mary Shelley at a later point in her life the evening than the Thirteenth Doctor.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It really doesn't, though. The Time War rewriting stuff is the only explanation that works.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never thought we'd see Russel T. Davies write anything Doctor Who related ever again.  This is wonderful stuff.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

Tommy Knight made me well up. Little sod.

But I'm glad RTD got Sanjay and Luke to finally happen. And Ace got her Sarah Jane Adventure

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More lockdown vids, this time Paul Cornell brings his New Adventures companion Benny Summerfield along!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FA9DD924-C163-485B-8D93-4371DC079435.jpeg

Our Sarah Jane: The life of Elisabeth Sladen (2020)
A heartfelt feature-length Documentary tribute to Doctor Who companion/actor Elisabeth Sladen, which is on the new Season 14 blu-ray set. The score was a little overbearing at times, moments like Tom Baker's dewy eyed remembrances of Liz leaving the show and of passing away were emotional enough on their own.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Upon rearranging my discs, I saw that the first Doctor story I owned was the Aztecs, not Unearthly Child like I thought. So I researched a little then went on Amazon and bought "The Beginning" DVD, that should be here soon. While I was at it I saw the David Tennant collection on Blu-ray for 23 bucks, and the one Eccleston season on a UK Blu Ray, so I got those, hopefully that plays for me but the reviews were from US residents so I'm optimistic about it.

Anyway once that gets here I can experiment on upscaling and colorizing and probably widescreen cropping the first Doctor's first episode, with the end goal being creating a high quality source for a Nu Who style fanedit. I'll keep you all posted on the experiments.

Edit: I got the shopping bug, went back on Amazon and found the Paul McGann film on Blu-ray cheap, about 10 bucks, and grabbed Survival on DVD because it has the video game footage of Anthony Ainley in his last performance as the Master. I already own a copy of the movie but it's on DVD with two feature length files on the same disc, so even though the Blu-ray is not true HD it'll be better than the version I have. Plus having an official upscale along with an official SD version gives me something to compare my unofficial upscale tests to. But I've bought too much Who now. Somebody stop me.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow...the BBC have made a professional re-edit of Classic Who, reducing "Masque of Mandragora" to just under half an hour!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Interesting!

'Power of the Daleks' is getting re-released with the animation redone, improved, or something. It'll be in B&W only, it's too much to hope they'll release it in 4:3 this time too.

91TfHsNEPJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks to the Josh Snares YouTube channel I was made aware of Remini, a mobile app that upscales faces specifically. It has a weekly limit for free usage but unlimited with a subscription to the app, and I'm thinking if EB Synth tests go as well as this still image test, I might have to subscribe for a month and knock out keyframes for Unearthly Child.

Zoom into the faces here, I think this will be suitable. Top is untouched image from Google, bottom is upscaled with the app.

Cfl3kcA_d.jpg

hfDd7RE_d.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My "The Beginning" DVD arrived today, that was quick. I'll probably end up waiting to rip it until I finish my current edit.

Edit:
My "Survival" DVD arrived today. I now own the beginning and ending stories of Classic Who, and also own at least one story for each Classic Doctor. The David Tennant collection arrived, 8th and 9th Doc Blu-rays are on the way. Now I just need the newer Doctors' Blu-ray collections to be cheaper and I'm all set. Maybe in a few more years.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ Interesting!

'Power of the Daleks' is getting re-released with the animation redone, improved, or something. It'll be in B&W only, it's too much to hope they'll release it in 4:3 this time too.

No hope for a US release, I'm guessing.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
TM2YC said:
^ Interesting!

No hope for a US release, I'm guessing.

I'm almost sure all these DW blu-rays are region free/region ABC as standard.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They are still 50Hz a lot of the time, which displays here don't support usually.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Paul McGann Blu-ray arrived from England. I popped it in to make sure it would play on my US system. No worries there, it plays.

But it looks hideous! The official upscale is terrible, nowhere near the David Tennant episodes' visual quality. This whole re-upscaling idea I've been thinking about for the first Doctor might have to be applied to the eighth.

Good thing is that I also have this movie on DVD, I don't know how the image already being upscaled would affect the AI algorithm(s), so I can compare SD and pseudo-HD sources and see which actually produces better results.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That's very disappointing. The movie was shot on full-frame 35mm (the only DW thing at that res?), it would look stunning if re-scanned. The FX would be a bit of problem though like most 90s Sci-Fi.

Some of the 16mm footage on the most recent Tom Baker "The Collection" hasn't been re-scanned. I'll partly give them a pass on that one because the current crisis has probably effected their restoration plans. I was surprised the set came out at all really.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ That's very disappointing. The movie was shot on full-frame 35mm (the only DW thing at that res?), it would look stunning if re-scanned. The FX would be a bit of problem though like most 90s Sci-Fi.

Yeah, the cinematography is great, composition, lighting, all that. I could live with bad FX if the scan was decent.

I'm gonna have to watch it through sometime and see if it gets any better looking.

Top Bottom