• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well... that was awful.  In what has been a pretty terrible season, with the occasional glimpse of hope here and there, this finale was so badly written and constructed that I literally sat there numb to everything that happened. 

Not sure what they were thinking with The Master going for the best over-acting award of the last 50 years, but I think they won.  A dreadful performance which left me not knowing whether to laugh or cry. 

More than that however, a story such as this,  which has so many implications to the history of the programme,  should never have been attempted when the show is in such a sorry state.  

Thanks Chibnall... for producing the worst season of Doctor Who I have ever seen.   Time for this Doctor Who fan to leave perhaps. 

Btw... If you enjoyed the programme I'm happy for you... this is just my opinion ;)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Well... that was awful.  In what has been a pretty terrible season, with the occasional glimpse of hope here and there, this finale was so badly written and constructed that I literally sat there numb to everything that happened. 

Not sure what they were thinking with The Master going for the best over-acting award of the last 50 years, but I think they won.  A dreadful performance which left me not knowing whether to laugh or cry. 

More than that however, a story such as this,  which has so many implications to the history of the programme,  should never have been attempted when the show is in such a sorry state.  

Thanks Chibnall... for producing the worst season of Doctor Who I have ever seen.   Time for this Doctor Who fan to leave perhaps. 

Btw... If you enjoyed the programme I'm happy for you... this is just my opinion ;)

I enjoyed the episode despite the massive flaws, but I very much agree on the season as a whole. It hasn't been kind to rewatch value much at all. Only four episodes out of ten were crucial when you kind of want that to be the case all year 'round in the way the RTD years were, or series five, or series nine. Viewers have turned the show off in droves too, this week's episode scored a 3.71, dismally low, and lower than what the final series of classic who was getting at it's peak

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
LastSurvivor said:

I enjoyed the episode despite the massive flaws, but I very much agree on the season as a whole. It hasn't been kind to rewatch value much at all. Only four episodes out of ten were crucial when you kind of want that to be the case all year 'round in the way the RTD years were, or series five, or series nine. Viewers have turned the show off in droves too, this week's episode scored a 3.71, dismally low, and lower than what the final series of classic who was getting at it's peak

I've come to understand that the ratings really can't be judged so quickly as most people will watch the program on a delay.  One must also take into account the massive amounts of alternative programming that is available now compared to when the show aired in 1989.  

I'm disappointed that so many seemingly did not like the finale (or the season in general) as I thought it was the best the show has been since Season 5.  To me, there were a few episodes that were the focus of the overall plot of the Timeless Child, which is more than RTD ever did for the season finales. Usually we'd just get a word (Torchwood, Saxon) thrown in an episode and that was it.  Moffat obviously went much more in on the season long arcs, but to me that became a detriment of his era.  Last season Chibnall seemingly didn't want to have any arching plotline, and I was fine with it in general though it made a very underwhelming finale.

With the 3 part finale this season, the buildup and anticipation was great and hooked me right back into the show in a way I hadn't been in a while.  I think the new Master is amazing and is already contending for my favorite iteration of the character (already the best NuWho has to offer as far as I'm concerned).  As for the overall implications, I think it can lead to some very interesting potential stories in the future, but does little to effect the show for me overall.  I can understand people being upset, but I just feel its being overblown especially considering the amount of times the show rewrote its history throughout the course of the classic era to many degrees.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, I am really surprised to see so much dislike for this season here. I was really let down by the last Capaldi season and was only interested in watching Whitaker's first season to see what she could bring to the role. I was again really let down by the stories last season. With the exception of Orphan 55, I have liked every episode this season, and the three-part finale kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I watch each week with several other people who have been watching since 2005 but are pretty unfamiliar with the classic series, and we had to pause during​
the memory montage as the Doctor escaped from the Matrix when the faces from The Brain of Morbius showed up on screen, confirming them as real past regenerations.
Morbius_Doctors.JPG
We're planning on watching The Brain of Morbius and The Deadly Assassin over the next couple of weeks so they can find out some more about life on Gallifrey before the Time War.​

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the way to mind-melt a giant space computer is to show it every episode of Doctor Who? :D

Somebody should do a fanedit of the episode where everything is the same except we cut to this...

...in that moment instead.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm okay with the lore changes for the most part, but my God, that whole thing was just the Doctor being monologued at for an hour. Lame.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Composer Segun Akinola discusses the S12 score, a definite highlight whatever anybody thought of the quality of everything else:

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hear Chris Chibnall is totally wrecking the history of the Doctor.   :(

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:

Sounds like a standard DW showrunner move. Are you planning on watching his episodes?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:

I wouldn't say he's wrecking their history as much as
he is solving the Morbius Doctors "error" in an intriguing way.
Whether or not you like the latest story line is up to personal tastes.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Warbler said:

Sounds like a standard DW showrunner move. Are you planning on watching his episodes?

Nah, I am probably done with Doctor Who.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Warbler said:

I wouldn't say he's wrecking their history as much as
he is solving the Morbius Doctors "error" in an intriguing way.
Whether or not you like the latest story line is up to personal tastes.

My preference is that

The First Doctor (William Hartnell) is the first Doctor. 

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:

Then no harm done, even if what you heard is an opinion you'd agree with.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Warbler said:
addiesin said:
Warbler said:

Then no harm done, even if what you heard is an opinion you'd agree with.

huh? Chibnall is totally wrecking the history of the Doctor and Doctor Who and you say "no harm done"???

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
huh? Chibnall is totally wrecking the history of the Doctor and Doctor Who and you say "no harm done"???
That is a fraction of what I said, yes. Specifically the conclusion, but without the context of our short conversation. To reiterate my entire point:

I disagree with the claim personally, but if you're not watching anyway, then whatever the show does has no effect on you. No reason to be upset.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just because I am not watching it doesn't mean I don't care and certainly doesn't mean "no harm done".

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
Just because I am not watching it doesn't mean I don't care and certainly doesn't mean "no harm done".

I don't understand what you mean. You're upset about second-hand opinions of something you cared about but no longer care enough about to engage directly. Clarify if you want but that's what it looks like to me.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is pretty certain 2nd-hand opinions from multiple sources.  (wikipedia episode descriptions for one, threads like this for another).  I am not watching anymore more because I can't stand what Chibnall has done to the Doctor and Doctor Who.  This doesn't mean I don't care and it doesn't mean "no harm done".

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
It is pretty certain 2nd-hand opinions from multiple sources.  (wikipedia episode descriptions for one, threads like this for another).  I am not watching anymore more because I can't stand what Chibnall has done to the Doctor and Doctor Who.  This doesn't mean I don't care and it doesn't mean "no harm done".

Whatever you say, chief. Have a good night.

Top Bottom