• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That episode was a total classic, boy this series is up and down.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anybody here ever done a Torchwood: Miracle Day edit? I've looked around a bit but didn't find anything.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

For me, other than the abysmal Orphan 55, I've enjoyed this season more than any since Season 5.  I just hope that Chibnall can nail the landing.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Has anybody here ever done a Torchwood: Miracle Day edit? I've looked around a bit but didn't find anything.

Ive always wanted to see it as a 2hr movie.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
TM2YC said:

For me, other than the abysmal Orphan 55, I've enjoyed this season more than any since Season 5.  I just hope that Chibnall can nail the landing.

The opening two-parter was better than anything from last season and Orphan 55 was a huge letdown from there. Last week's episode was pretty good but nothing special. This week was the best episode we've seen since Matt Smith.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DANLAV05 said:
asterixsmeagol said:

Ive always wanted to see it as a 2hr movie.

I should have expanded more on this, but I was typing it quickly during a commercial break watching the new episode last night. We were talking about Torchwood, which one of the friends I was watching with has never seen and he was asking if it was any good. I generally enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 and really loved Season 3. Season 4 could have been good but it felt like a 5-part story stretched over 10 episodes. It wasn't bad watching it week to week, but it did feel a little slow. Rewatching it though is extremely tedious.​

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Hymie said:
TM2YC said:

The opening two-parter was better than anything from last season and Orphan 55 was a huge letdown from there. Last week's episode was pretty good but nothing special. This week was the best episode we've seen since Matt Smith.

You say that like Capaldi's run wasn't the best of the show since it was revived. Series 5 is the only Smith season that approaches the highs of Series 8-10.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
You say that like Capaldi's run wasn't the best of the show since it was revived.

source.gif

I liked Capaldi's take on the Doctor, but the writing for his seasons and Whitaker's first season were not as good as the Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Smith's writing went off the rails shortly after series five. With Capaldi it stabalised somewhat. Episodes like Listen, Time Heist, Mummy on the Orient Express,  Flatline, are better than ANYTHING in series seven for one thing. Too bad Moffat was fixated on paying too much attention to Clara. 

I still think series nine was the best new who season since  series five though, but that's largely because they toned Clara way down and she acted like a regular companion for once.

Last sunday's episode was a monumental one, first time New Who has dared to be different in a very long time

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
ChainsawAsh said:
You say that like Capaldi's run wasn't the best of the show since it was revived.

source.gif

I liked Capaldi's take on the Doctor, but the writing for his seasons and Whitaker's first season were not as good as the Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith.

Hard disagree. With a couple exceptions (such as Kill the Moon), the writing for the Capaldi seasons was head and shoulders above any Eccleston or Tennant season, and only Series 5 of Smith's years reaches the same level..

S9 > S5 > S10 > S8 > S1 > S6 > S4 > S7 > S3 > S11 > S2

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I maintain this ranking:

Great
  • Series 9 (Almost perfect)
  • Series 4 (Almost perfect)
  • Series 5 (Almost perfect)
  • Series 10 (Favorite TARDIS team, some messy stories)
  • Series 1 (Got me hooked)
Good
  • Series 3 (Tennant shines without Rose, there are no bad stories here)
  • Series 8 (Love Capaldi's take on the Doctor here, but there are only maybe three good episodes)
Not so Good
  • Series 2 (Rose and Tennant are not a good match, and for every Girl in the Fireplace, there's Fear Her)
  • Series 6 (Great opener, fun standalone episodes, but super messy overall)
  • Series 7 (Super bland. Basically on auto-pilot)
  • Series 11 (Same as S7, but with untested new characters)

And if the leaks I've heard about S12 are true (and it looks like it will be) then S12 will be right at the bottom.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Autons weren't in the episode, though they were mentioned in the episode as a possible suspect in the mystery by The Doctor.

Turned out to be an entirely different alien species that was trying to save their own skin by unleashing a virus on Earth. It was stopped in time.

Not a bad story this week, had more tedious greenhouse preaching from Jodie, and there was some ill-timing with the episode coming out the week the coronovirus broke out globally, but the story held together well, both sets of companions (series regulars and the ones for the episode) all got screen time and something to do, also liked The Doctor admitting to Graham she's a romantic (that's only 'cause I 'ship the two of 'em though)

Unfortunatly, or rather all too expectedly, nobody really bothered to tune in...the live overnights were yet another s*itshow at 3.97, the lowest ratings yet for Jodie's era.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was really hoping the villains were going to be revealed as the Sea Devils, as they are one of my favorite nemesis.  I didn't mind the ultimate reveal but it felt disappointing after I built it up myself, though its no one's fault but my own.  Overall, I felt it was a nice episode, a standard fare that can be enjoyed regardless of the overall plot.  The Birds homage was nicely done and not too over the top and in your face.  

Honestly, this felt right out of the Barry Letts era of the show, hardly a favorite of mine, but I felt it was nicely done and was down right subtle about its environmental message compared to how Orphan 55 hit you with a sledge hammer at the end of the episode.  So much of Doctor Who's past is about environmental messages and allegories so I appreciate Chibnall's efforts.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
So much of Doctor Who's past is about environmental messages and allegories so I appreciate Chibnall's efforts.

The stories back then were a lot more subtle and knew HOW to tell a story, applauding it for 'woke' points just because it's 'current year' doesn't excuse mediocre tosh. The story was passable, but the preaching still seemed shoe-horned in there. People noticed, and, more importantly, people switched off.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Doesn't really explain why Fugitive of the Judoon saw an increase in ratings right after Orphan 55.  But this is definitely a dark time for the show.  I didn't even bother watching this one, which is a first for me.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Doesn't really explain why Fugitive of the Judoon saw an increase in ratings right after Orphan 55.

'Member Berries and Twitter hype. None of which were present for this episode.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think television producers are still in the mindset that a good episode one week will lead to increased viewership the following week, but in the age of streaming a good episode will lead to better Live+7  ratings for the good episode itself.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Hymie said:
So much of Doctor Who's past is about environmental messages and allegories so I appreciate Chibnall's efforts.

The stories back then were a lot more subtle and knew HOW to tell a story, applauding it for 'woke' points just because it's 'current year' doesn't excuse mediocre tosh. The story was passable, but the preaching still seemed shoe-horned in there. People noticed, and, more importantly, people switched off.

So what every story that tries to hide its message behind so much subtext its unnoticeable is the only way to go?  To act like Letts and Dicks were always subtle is just an untruth (stories like Inferno and The Green Death were hardly subtle).  I'm not applauding it for woke points, whatever the hell that means, but for tying in a message to the story and making it work rather than simply a bland science fiction romp. Could the dialogue have been a little less clunky, sure, but there's nothing wrong with it. All stories mostly are trying to tell some kind of message underneath the obvious, and Who's been doing it since the 1960s.  To act like this is some sort of new revelation that Chibnall enacted is just factually incorrect.  You may not like the execution, but the facts are the facts.

At this point, the Who fandom is becoming as toxic as Star Wars has become, and its making me ashamed to be a part of both of them.  People are entitled to their opinions, and when others outright attack them for having a different point of view it makes people turn it off.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Where was the attacking?  People can disagree and still have a discussion.

I'm really disappointed with Star Trek, Star Wars, and now Doctor Who for seemingly not understanding what made them so appealing to me in the first place.  You mention Letts and Dicks, but they don't sit you on their lap and tell you what the moral of the story was. You figure it out for yourself through well developed characters, great plot, and symbolic themes. The way Chibnall delivers a message is condescending and with all the nuance of a sledgehammer. Even when I agree with it, I'm annoyed. 

To be ashamed because other people are disappointed with the way the show is going at the moment is frankly absurd.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Where was the attacking?  People can disagree and still have a discussion.

I'm really disappointed with Star Trek, Star Wars, and now Doctor Who for seemingly not understanding what made them so appealing to me in the first place.  You mention Letts and Dicks, but they don't sit you on their lap and tell you what the moral of the story was. You figure it out for yourself through well developed characters, great plot, and symbolic themes. The way Chibnall delivers a message is condescending and with all the nuance of a sledgehammer. Even when I agree with it, I'm annoyed. 

To be ashamed because other people are disappointed with the way the show is going at the moment is frankly absurd.

Thankyou. I wasn't attacking anyone, but unfortunately Doctor Who breeds a sub-culture of people who are sensitive and ridiculously resistant to any form of critique levelled at it. I should know because I used to be one of those people.

You are correct, Classic Who told a story first, the messages were there, but the stories were so strong, they were invisible at a certain age and got more apparent as your mind broadened. Now they'd rather spell it out for you fairly blatantly in the middle of a story, and the real world problems take you out of the immersion.

Top Bottom