• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, can we talk about how Thirteen keeps making very morally questionable choices and no one - not even the writers - seem to call her on it? It would be fine if it were a character trait that was explored or caused her negative consequences, but it seems like the writers aren't even aware that they're writing her doing pretty unethical stuff a lot of the time while still taking the moral high ground in her speechifying.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What were the morally questionable decisions this time?
Wiping their memories?

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That, and
handing the Master over to the Nazis after removing his perception filter, essentially dooming him to literal concentration camps.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
That, and
handing the Master over to the Nazis after removing his perception filter, essentially dooming him to literal concentration camps.

Oh my goodness, I hadn't thought about that... and neither had the writers I imagine. Whoops.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's the thing - if the writers realized they were doing this and made it a trait of Thirteen to explore (stuff like this happens a lot with her, and has since Series 11), that would be an incredible arc for her ... but I don't think they're doing that at all. As you say, I don't think they know that they're writing her with a kind-of-fucked moral compass.

But I hope I'm wrong, because if that's the arc they're going with for Thirteen (kind of the inverse of Twelve's arc), I'd be so on board for it.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Orphan 55 didn't quite bowl me over. Thought they got into the danger way too quickly before the spa had been properly established. Monsters reminded me a bit of the one from Love & Monsters. Ending was ripped wholesale from serial one of Trial of a Time Lord and the Planeteer Alert at the end were deductive woke points.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Orphan 55 was really bad.  The pacing and editing were so frenetic I could hardly keep up with what was going on.  It's so bad I read a few criticisms from reddit asking if it was made on cocaine.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to say it but that episode was utter sh*t.

Did they re-use the cr*p monster costume from the worst ever episode of Babylon 5 'Grey 17 is missing'?:

49379651568_b4aa5e8fb0_o.jpg

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder if whoever edited this episode took a look at The Rise of Skywalker and decided to try and do an even worse job.  Holy hell was the editing bad, elevating a bad enough story into laughably bad.  Some of the acting (from the daughter and Vilma in particular) was atrocious, and it seemed like this was originally a two parter they decided to trim into a single episode, with hilariously bad results.  Personally, I appreciated that they finally gave Jodie a monologue to do, if only so the critics can stop using that as one of their standard complaints about the show currently.  Overall, its going do right with Love & Monsters, Fear Her, and Sleep No More as the worse that NuWho has to offer.

I almost wonder if the spoiler reveal near the end was intentional, as the episode would have fit snugly in the later part of the JNT era.  What I did notice is that the Doctor continues to be more apathetic and reckless with others' lives, making me think her going dark is going to be a dramatic shift in her character going forward.  Characters are asking her if she's ok, when her actions are clearly showing that she is not.  It should hopefully make for a good payoff, providing Chibnall gives her enough material to pull it off properly.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Did they re-use the cr*p monster costume from the worst ever episode of Babylon 5 'Grey 17 is missing'?

I knew that monster design looked familiar!

So did Hyph3n.
barf-doctor-who.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Announcement tomorrow probably.
915kzZ1bHOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yay the season with top stories re-introducing the evil Master, introducing badass warrior woman Leela and introducing embarrassing levels of racism to the show :D .

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I might be bowing out from the rest of this season.  Let me know if they ever get a new editor/writer/companions.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I quite liked this episode. I'm a big fan of Tesla alt-history since 95's C&C:Red Alert. The monsters were a bit embarrassing "Oh no it's an army of CGI scorpions but fortunately they aren't realistic enough to be allowed into the foreground to get us!".  Goran Višnjić and Robert Glenister made for a great Tesla and Edison. Nice that they went to the effort of hiring an actor of the same nationality to play Tesla... and good for old ER fans too.

I can't have been the only one that looked at this shot and thought Goran would've made a great Doc:

49413187501_1be08c3a1b_b.jpg

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This episode was a huge step up from last week. My only problem with it was that the new Skithra queen looked a little too similar to the Racnoss  queen.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Going to show some skeptics the Capaldi era of the show.  I've abridged his three years to:

S8
Mummy on the Orient Express
Flatline
Dark Water
/ Death in Heaven

S9
The Sorcerer's Apprentice / The Witch's Familiar
Under the Lake
/ Before the Flood
The Zygon Invasion / The Zygon Inversion
Face the Raven / Heaven Sent / Hell Bent

S10
The Pilot
Oxygen
World Enough and Time
/ The Doctor Falls / Twice Upon a Time

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Other than adding in Listen and Time Heist for Season 8 and maybe Thin Ice or Empress of Mars for Season 10, your list pretty much matches mine.  It really shows me that the show has been about highs and lows, and now its just more magnified because the lows have regularly outnumbered the highs.  The show has never really ever been extremely consistently good, with Tom Baker's first few years being the exception rather than the rule.

Who is more about the experience and the characters, and even though many are still struggling to connect to the new crew, I have enjoyed this season immensely sans the awful Orphan 55.  Looking round the interwebs it seems that many are enjoying the show again so that's good to hear, but even in bad times I'll still take Who over the majority of crap they churn out on tv.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I'd remove the Zygon episodes, and add Listen like Hymie suggested. Time Heist I like a lot but wouldn't call it essential. Thin Ice and Empress I don't remember off the top of my head so I can't say about those. Guess I have some episodes I get to rewatch!  :)

I almost want to say you could lose the Lake and Flood episodes but only because I also don't remember those very well (I mostly just remember the visual of Capaldi with the skull eyes walking around underwater) and it would make for a more compact abridging; less time to commit to watching makes it easier to convince someone to watch.

Top Bottom