• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Once my current project is complete I'd like to do a little experiment with Doctor Who. I have some William Hartnell on a Doctors Revisited DVD that I'd like to run frame by frame through an AI colorizer and possibly also through an AI upscaler to see if the added color and sharpness makes any difference in the watching experience. I'd feel differently if it were well-preserved film stock that looked amazing as is, but we all know the picture quality of early Who leaves much to be desired, so I think it's fair game for improvement attempts.

Then to correct the colorization still in a somewhat automated process (for example to make sure the TARDIS is blue), I think I could manually recolor a few reference frames and run it through ebsynth to see what happens to it.

I suppose this could evolve into a fanedit and eventually if the upscaler works, maybe it could be cropped for widescreen on a shot by shot basis. I'm thinking An Unearthly Child is the perfect test subject for this. If successful, this might be something that can be used as a workflow foundation for other edits, and would hopefully allow for editors to have a more modern take on the black and white seasons, maybe allowing footage to mix into a multi Doctor story.

Any interest in seeing something like this in a raw experimental form? Like short, contextless clips that demonstrate differences in different attempts, software, and workflows?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Massive DW fan here, big fan of what Babelcolour has done with colourised Hartnell too, so I'd be interested

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not a bad premiere, monsters were naff and they spent very little money on them

A shame Doc and Graham didn't have many moments together as they had to share screentime with Sacha Dawan's Master, but I liked the little spots here and there like Doc making them both ice tea, Graham realising Doc was serious about her being a man once, and saying she never listens to him (at least until he tells her to get inside)

"O" as in "Oh, it's The Master" was funny

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OMG, so...

...The Master went back in time and helped create Doctor Who!?!:

f89c00904538ab57aec9c39fd14e8cab.jpg

Great choice of actor.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a bit surprised they brought the Master back already. 
Other than that, I'm not in love with the show anymore, but it's not terrible.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Not a bad premiere, monsters were naff and they spent very little money on them

A shame Doc and Graham didn't have many moments together as they had to share screentime with Sacha Dawan's Master, but I liked the little spots here and there like Doc making them both ice tea, Graham realising Doc was serious about her being a man once, and saying she never listens to him (at least until he tells her to get inside)

"O" as in "Oh, it's The Master" was funny

I actually thought the monsters were one of the best new ones we've gotten in quite a while. Reminded me of some of the Lovecraftian "unknowable" Big Finish aliens, like The Eminence.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think they might actually be the Voord, since the company is called VOR, and Voord were retconned into becoming ancestors of the Cybermen in the expanded media.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
See now, if this turns into another Army of Ghosts situation and they're actually Cybermen or whatever, then I'm going to be annoyed...

I was actually thinking they may be the Boneless evolved to better function in our three dimensional universe.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think there is any way the Voord are coming back in anything but the expanded media.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the Master is back.   Did they explain how the Master survived "The Doctor Falls"?  When the Master shot Missy, he said "don't bother trying to regenerate, you got the full blast"

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
I don't think there is any way the Voord are coming back in anything but the expanded media.

Expanded media gave us planet 14, which was name-dropped in The Doctor Falls as a planet of the Cybermen. Planet 14 was Marinusm, thus the Voord have been acknowledged as Cybermen prototypes in TV canon

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
So the Master is back.   Did they explain how the Master survived "The Doctor Falls"?  When the Master shot Missy, he said "don't bother trying to regenerate, you got the full blast"

No, at least not yet. Maybe in part 2 this Sunday. But the Master coming back from death with no real explanation is tradition at this point.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
It is not a tradition that I like.

Simplest explanation: he was lying to her(self).

They've had bigger stretches. It also gives Big Finish and the comics an opportunity to jump in somewhere.

There is a lot of audio based material featuring the Master that fills in everything between the TV movie and Nu Who

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Planet 14 was mentioned in The Invasion.

Ah, you're right...I'm sure Marinus was mentioned in The Doctor Falls though

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow...Spyfall part two literally went places.

A nice mix of peak Moffat and RTD tropes, a blatant rehash of stuff from The Sound of Drums to give the companions something to do while The Doctor had the real adventure with the guest stars of the week. Tap dancing lasers, the Master as an asian S.A.S agent (don't worry, they explained how he got away with that), and Gallifrey destroyed for the umpteenth time

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't understand the nu-who's ongoing aversion to bringing Gallifrey back permanently (apart from that one time ages ago and it was awesome 'cause James Bond was in it ;) ). The Doc feels like less of a rebel when we never see what she is supposedly rebelling against. I could do with some episodes where they are trying to control her and she's all like "see ya losers!" :D .

Top Bottom