• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doctor Who

addiesin said:
I feel you're moving goalposts. I asked about ratings. That's all I wanted to know. Are they going up or down. They have been going up, according to the site you mentioned as your source. I'm not trying to fight or argue, but I don't see a credible source for the claim that viewership has declined.

I'm not moving any goalposts, I'm telling you not to count consolidated figures as "proof" the ratings are up, they're low on the live overnights, something DWTV  and plenty of Youtube critics have brought up in the past in articles and videos that you can easily find.

There is a divide going on with this series that you cannot deny, and it has everything to do with politics.

However, now's not the time or place for this, if you want an overview that critiques this season without delving into politics, watch this.

We will have to agree to disagree about the politics. Again, I'm not interested in critique or discussing quality or opinions on the content of the show. I just want to know what source says viewing numbers have gone down, because I can't find one. I only see people making the claim without elaborating fully. At this point I don't expect such a source to exist.

The sources do exist, and I advised against counting consolidated figures (which improve ANY rating after transmission) and to focus on the overnights. 

If you want to believe the ratings are up, I can't stop you, but they have declined regardless of what you're being told by the media, who cannot be trusted for reasons I have already went into detail about

Zarius said:
The sources do exist, and I advised against counting consolidated figures (which improve ANY rating after transmission) and to focus on the overnights.

Looking at both stats, S11 looks slightly better than previous seasons at best, or more or less the same at worst. You can compare both stats for all episodes at the bottom of this wikipedia link on a handy chart...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_(series_11)

...and if you go to the top of that page you can click to go back to comparable charts for S10 to S5. S11 seems to compare well to all those series, except S6 (which was a high watermark).

Good grief indeed.  The only people who should care about ratings are working at the BBC.  This show isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Zarius said:

The links I found and posted from Doctor Who TV listed overnights, and that is what I referenced earlier, those numbers match what TM2YC posted from wikipedia. The lowest overnight rating for a S11 episode was 5.07m. The highest for S10 never even got up to 5m.

addiesin said:
For example, even the lowest overnight number for series 11 beat the highest for series 10.

I will gladly look at whatever source exists if you can provide it, but the only site that has been mentioned so far, Doctor Who TV, debunks the claim.

Ok, moving along now...

5173tz10.jpg

rev10.jpg

Anyone picking these up?

Some nice fan editing here, giving the 6th Doctor a better send off...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbxMg6i0cmQ[/video]

So among the wonderful pile of dvds I received for Xmas was DOWNTIME...

...finally sat down and watched it today.

I must admit I was a hesitant as I am not very familiar with the Second Doctor era, and have never seen either of "The Abominable Snowmen" or "The Web of Fear" (though I guess there is no excuse for this one any more), so I was worried this 'authorized' fan film might be too mythology centric, leaving me lost and confused.

But my fear was for naught.  Yes, there are some definite continuity head scratchers that I will have to google later, but over all there was enough exposition for me to figure out what was going on and to enjoy the show.  And I must admit, I was very surprised at how much I liked this 'amateur' production.  Production wise, it is low budget but it is no worse than the final season of the McCoy's run.  Courtney and Sladen are wonderful in their respective classic roles, though Sarah-Jane really doesn't do too much and the story would have been fine with out her.  Deborah Watling (again not familiar with her time as a companion) was very old school melodramatic, which sometimes felt a bit too over the top but at the same time appropriate for the story being told, depending on the scene.

There is some neat camera work done, but some of the editing needs work, as characters' geography is sometimes confusing, they appear and disappear, and one or two places in the last act it felt like a scene was missing.  But I did like the intercutting of dramatic scenes and the voice over approach. 

Overall, I really liked it.  I could easily believe this was an episode from the Seventh Doctor's final season or the lost pilot for a UNIT series.

Not clear if the BBC or Dr Who show runners view this story as canon?   This is the first introduction of the Brigadier's daughter Kate, and while played by a different actress, I could believe she is the same character who evolved in the future leader of UNIT as seen in The Day of the Doctor.  Has Moffat ever commented on this?  We know of his passion for classic Who canon.  

Regardless, it is now part of my Who Head Canon  :D

I guess I need to buy WEB OF FEAR now?

I don't think this show really has any concept of canon.  Moffat was really strict about it, but then he'd go and make the TARDIS materialization noise "the parking break". JNT loved to make continuity references to the 60s and 70s shows, but then completely disregarded it whenever Pat Troughton showed up for a multi-doctor story.  And let's not get started on the audios, the books, and so on.

Basically, it is what you make of it.

Handman said:
I don't think this show really has any concept of canon.  Moffat was really strict about it, but then he'd go and make the TARDIS materialization noise "the parking break". JNT loved to make continuity references to the 60s and 70s shows, but then completely disregarded it whenever Pat Troughton showed up for a multi-doctor story.  And let's not get started on the audios, the books, and so on.

Basically, it is what you make of it.

It's all head canon. For me the new show takes priority, followed by what I've seen and know of the old show, then the Eighth Doctor short regeneration video, audio dramas and comics, then the audiobook version of the Eighth doc's tv movie, the movie itself, and finally I suppose the spinoff shows, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Chronicles, and Class. Anything near the beginning of that list contradicts or retcons anything near the end, the former "wins" IMO.

I finally caught some time to watch Resolution and loved it! Man it felt like it had something that was missing all season, everything seemed to click well and it was the best use of a
 Dalek 
 in the show in a long time.

It was tense then had character stuff then got exciting and kinda stayed there pretty well till the end. I've purposely ignored people's reactions to this episode, I wasnt even sure the spoiler was what it was at first.

This was the true season finale I think.

Handman said:
I don't think this show really has any concept of canon.

Can a show based on time travel and changing timelines really have a canon?

I finally watched Resolution. Short review: I liked it. One of the stronger episodes for me and the performances are great, I like the "new" Dalek design, and I do enjoy the production quality and humour of this series.

^ Has anyone listened to any of the Big Finish productions and have a recommendation? I love audiobooks/audio dramas so I want to check them out.

theryaney said:
Has anyone listened to any of the Big Finish productions and have a recommendation? I love audiobooks/audio dramas so I want to check them out.

If you're at all interested in Paul McGann, his audios are great. A short one I enjoyed a lot and think makes a good introduction to the format is "Mary's Story" wherein he meets Mary Shelley before she wrote Frankenstein. You don't need to know anything special prior to the story to understand it. It does tie in nicely to the TV Movie because of the Frankenstein references the movie used during regeneration.

Handman said:
 Moffat was really strict about it

Actually, in my experience, he wasn't strict about it at all. Here's a quote from him: "It is impossible for a show about a dimension-hopping time traveller to have a canon." (San Diego Comic Con, 2008; link to quote below)

http://whoniverse.net/features/canon

That's why he was so keen to have the Big Finish stories acknowledged in "Night of the Doctor," despite people who might otherwise look down on the audio dramas as lesser or not "real" Doctor Who stories.

Back
Top Bottom