• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Graham once again proves he is the best, with his scarf.

image.php

I'm lovin' the Doc's scarf too. I could go for one of those.

This is fun:

It would be interesting to bring back Susan for an episode. The original actress is 78 now, so it would be nice to give her and the role a swan song. You could have The Doctor visiting Susan on her death bed. Susan is surrounded by her large and loving family, leaving the Doc to reflect on the different choices they have made and her lonely travels in the Tardis. The Doc catches her reflection in a mirror and realises they have reversed roles since they parted, Susan is now the grey-haired old person and The Doc is the young woman. The dialogue could call back to this famous speech:

Then when she dies peacefully, she regenerates into a young person and decides to leave her family thinking the person they loved has passed on. Young Susan rejoins the Doc for a few more adventures. Maybe they both finally go back to Gallifrey (somehow).

Idea © TM2YC. Give me a call Chris Chibnall :D .

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched the finale yet, but I'm otherwise caught up.  I've actually really enjoyed this season.  Then again, I tend not to be quite as critical of TV shows as I do, say, movies.  Not sure why.  O well.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a lovely prospect, but Susan is Carol Ann Ford.  I believe it's been suggested she is not a Time Lord, just a Gallifreyan, so she doesn't have the ability to regenerate.  I couldn't see them recast her after 50 years.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:

They should have done 'The Space Pirates' instead because then they'd have Troughton's last Season (S6) 100% complete (in film or animation), where as S4 (where that serial is from) is nowhere near complete.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
51SbXSEfQFL.jpg

Finally got a copy of this!  Just in time for Christmas.  And my 60s Who DVD collection is now complete (That is, until The Macra Terror shows up).

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This feels more like a series finale than the actual series finale did.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Twitch will be streaming Classic Who for the majority of January, starting today

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally watched RESOLUTION.

It was good.  Easily better than the majority of Who Christmas specials the last few years.

It was the first story where I felt we got a glimpse of this newest Doctor incarnation as an actual character.  Instead of the typical fast-talking joking dialogue (that could easily coming from the mouth of Smith or Tennant) we had some real moments, though brief, of depth and vulnerability.  

So I liked it.  I didn't love it.  Much like this entire season.  Liked.  Not loved.

If one had never watched Who before and was completely unfamiliar with it's lore, I can see this season being very accessible and enjoyable for many.   And I think the ratings support this, according the BBC, this season is the highest it has been in years.

However, if you have been watching since Eccleston, or even the original series, I could see how for some this season may feel like a frustrating step or two backwards.

But if one wants WHO to survive, it has to thrive and pull in new viewers.  It can not stay loyal to a small specific niche of uber fans, and ignore all others, which Moffatt's writing often felt like through his run.   I personally, being a geek, loved Moffatt's continuity obsession to the classic series and loved researching odd references he would make in an episode, leading me to discover the joy of a classic Who episode I was unaware of.   But that can be intimidating and off putting for many viewers.  So I think this new direction is probably a smart move on Chibnall's part.

On the whole, I would give this new season a 7 out of 10.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
And I think the ratings support this, according the BBC, this season is the highest it has been in years.

That's entirely all spin and based off consolidated figures. The show's live overnights this season (i.e first transmission) were just about all on par with Capaldi's numbers and steadily dropped every week. Resolution's ratings, even when consolidated, were still below expectations.

I enjoyed this season in parts as well, but it is not the game-changing success its' fans pretend it is.

The idea the show has to abandon all trace of continuity to draw in "new viewers" is absurd. People aren't stupid, if they want to catch up on the show's lore all they have to do is ask and a fan will point them to the simple approach of binging RTD's run as that is a perfect step-by-step introduction/reintroduction to everything. Viewers learned more about the Doctor and his story, plus a few new twists and turns, in one season of Eccelston than they EVER did in Jodie's first season.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
bionicbob said:
And I think the ratings support this, according the BBC, this season is the highest it has been in years.

That's entirely all spin and based off consolidated figures. The show's live overnights this season (i.e first transmission) were on par with Capaldi's numbers and steadily dropped every week. Resolution's ratings, even when consolidated, were still below expectations.

I enjoyed this season in parts as well, but it is not the game-changing success its' fans pretend it is.

Are the BBC the fans that are pretending? I'm not sure I understand. Where can one check ratings? Casual google searching (first page results) shows one result from The Sun claiming ratings went down, which another google search suggests is a tabloid. All other results appear to say they went up.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All of that is the shill media, who are only interested in the PC agenda the show now represents and will say anything to big it up. I check the ratings analytics on Doctor Who TV.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
All of that is the shill media, who are only interested in the PC agenda the show now represents and will say anything to big it up. I check the ratings analytics on Doctor Who TV.

I didn't ask about PC agendas or whatever (and the fact that you brought it up worries me). Asked about where to check ratings. Is Doctor Who TV a website?

Edit: Found it myself

Series 11 http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-11-2018-uk-ratings-accumulator-88397.htm
Series 10 http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-10-2017-uk-ratings-accumulator-84045.htm
Series 9 http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-9-2015-uk-ratings-accumulator-76154.htm
Series 8 http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-8-ratings-accumulator-66394.htm
Series 7 http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-7-ratings-accumulator-2013-46939.htm

Looks to me like the ratings ARE the best they've been in years, according to your source. For example, even the lowest overnight number for series 11 beat the highest for series 10.

Again, who is saying the ratings are going down?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
People who don't care for consolidated figures, check the audience appreciation scores on Rotten Tomatoes, and who rate an episode on quality content. It may be performing slightly better, but to suggest that means it was a quality season is rubbish. If you look around Doctor Who TV you'll find opinion polls tell a much different story also.

And I brought up the PC stuff because it's blatant, in your face, and completely distracts from the story. Classic Who and early New Who have left-leaning policies also, but they never intruded much on an otherwise engaging adventure packed with incident.

Why does criticism of the PC agenda "worry you?". I LIKE elements of series 11, I don't mind diversity, but I don't care for white shaming and a story that is 90% trying to tell me men or members of the right wing are scum (I lean towards the left, but everyone has a right to their political beliefs)

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
People who don't care for consolidated figures, check the audience appreciation scores on Rotten Tomatoes, and who rate an episode on quality content. It may be performing slightly better, but to suggest that means it was a quality season is rubbish. If you look around Doctor Who TV you'll find opinion polls tell a much different story also.

And I brought up the PC stuff because it's blatant, in your face, and completely distracts from the story. Classic Who and early New Who have left-leaning policies also, but they never intruded much on an otherwise engaging adventure packed with incident.

Why does criticism of the PC agenda "worry you?". I LIKE elements of series 11, I don't mind diversity, but I don't care for white shaming and a story that is 90% trying to tell me men or members of the right wing are scum (I lean towards the left, but everyone has a right to their political beliefs)

And that is why I skipped most of series 11. Maybe I'll watch it if somebody edits out the PC stuff, but I won't until then (unless I grow to hate myself so much I'll torture myself with the rest of series 11).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh good gravy, let's not get carried away with the politics please and certainly stop using labels like "PC".

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I AGREE

PC IMPLIES YOU OWN US

YOU DONT

WE JUST LET YOU THINK YOU DO

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

I didn't realize you had responded or I would have responded back earlier. 

I feel you're moving goalposts. I asked about ratings. That's all I wanted to know. Are they going up or down. They have been going up, according to the site you mentioned as your source. I'm not trying to fight or argue, but I don't see a credible source for the claim that viewership has declined.

I said nothing about the quality of the show or its relation to ratings. What worries me about what you brought up is that I am not talking about any of the politics or political opinions mentioned, but you insist on bringing them up repeatedly. Not everything needs to be politics. If you want to know how I feel about it, broadly, I have noticed no change in the political stance of the show since 2005, and certainly not a blatant change. I'm sorry you don't feel the same.

Top Bottom