• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved this week's episode, my favourite by far. It's definitely emotional, focusing on the idea of "letting go", mystical, and had a pretty good plot. I'm really loving the cinematography, it looks really good. Bradley Walsh and Jodie Whittaker are stellar as usual. 8.5/10 (a close 9 but then they had to have a cartoonish villain and have the Doctor talk to a *spoiler* at the end).

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it would have been nice to have had at least one episode this season with with a traditional villain/monster.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tons of news today

Jodie confirms she's staying on as The Doctor for Series 12

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jodie-whittaker-confirms-return-doctor-who-season-12-1167388

Rumours: 

New Year Special's villains are

The Daleks

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/07/so-what-about-the-daleks-returning-then-doctor-who-spoilers/

No full series in 2019. Chibnall and Jodie had a "bad day" and ALMOST quit, but smoothed things over with the BBC.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/07/no-doctor-who-series-12-in-2019/

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Tons of news today...

All very interesting.  Great to hear viewership and sales are up despite the very vocal naysaying on the old inter web.

I can not believe this weekend is the main series finale already!?! 10 episodes already?  And still I am not certain how I feel about this latest incarnation?   I do not think it is bad show.  It has had some very nice moments.  I find Whittaker very enjoyable, though I do not feel she has really owned the character yet.  And while I understand the stand alone (no season arc) format is great for pulling in (and hopefully keeping) new viewers uneducated in Who, the lack of an underlying driving/building narrative has made many of the aired episodes  very forgettable to me and may be why I am shocked we are at the end already.

I watched an interesting analysis of this season of Who, in which the reviewer proposed that perhaps it is the lack of allegory and whimsy in this new version that has ruffled long time Whovians?   This series certainly seems to have gone out of its way to try to feel more grounded in terms of production design, episode scoring, cinematography and narrative.   And for me, the strongest stories are been the ones that dealt directly with real world history -- Rosa Parks, Demons of Punjab and Wichfinder.   While I for one, am happy the Fairy Tales Moffat era has come to close, I think like many fans of the classic age, I was hoping for a return to Harder Science Fiction, rather than a real world problem solver procedural that this season sort of feels like to me.

When I think back on this season, somehow this show that is about All Of Time and Space, feels smaller.
While I do not think we need a return to the always epic, messy rollercoaster madness of the Smith/Capaldi years, it would be nice to get some sense of wonder and grandeur that existed in the Tennant or Classic age.   I mean, even the TARDIS feels smaller.  Except for a few tight close up shots around the door and console, I have no sense of its interior design or size.

As I said before, I think its still an enjoyable, if somewhat forgettable, new season.  And like many New Doctors first seasons from the classic era, it seems to be struggling to find its own unique voice while battling to keep old and news fans happy.

I dunno.  Change is good.  Change is bad.  Don't change too much.  You didn't change enough.  :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So has anyone picked up the Peter Davison Blu Ray set yet?

I pre-ordered mine ages ago, the Region One release date was Dec 3, but Amazon still has not shipped my order.

I was completely satisfied with the Tom Baker set, the picture/sound quality was excellent and the bonus features were very entertaining.... and the space it saves on the shelf is amazeballs! lol

I hope with the announcement of the next Tom Baker being so close after Davison's, that it means these sets will be coming out on a more regular schedule... every quarter maybe???

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, looks that way.  I just ordered the first Baker set, I'm afraid I won't get another chance.  I just hope they corrected the discs.  I'll probably get the others later.  But I'm most looking forward to having the Pertwee, Tom and McCoy years.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoy this fellow's channel.... his love for all things WHO is so earnest, positive and pure.  

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1P4bPE_syQ&t=112s[/video]

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was a weak finale, but it did tie up loose ends from the first episode of the series. At times it felt like a rip-off of Pirate Planet and Stolen Earth, and the returning villain didn't do a hell of a lot other than brag. Bradley was the breakout star of the episode and got the best scenes. Yippe-Ki-Hay

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bradley was the breakout star of the entire season, as far as I'm concerned.  And I'm pretty sure the New Years Special could potentially be the best episode of the lot, based on the trailer alone.  Too many episodes were spent just talking (which wouldn't be bad if the dialogue was memorable, but it wasn't), with not much action in them.  It looks like that may change with this next one.  I can only hope.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I finished the season finally (I know it only just ended, but I was 4-ish episodes behind as of Friday).

Very average. Demons of the Punjab, The Witchfinders, and It Takes You Away were the standout episodes, but only maybe Witchfinders was up there with the best of Moffat's or Davies' era. Rosa was decent but the villain kind of ruins it on a rewatch.

In fact, all of the historicals were made lesser with the obligatory sci-fi element forced into them. Would've been nice for at least one of them to have been a pure historical, Marco Polo or Black Orchid style.

Jodie was good, but Thirteen is poorly written. She needed fewer companions in her first season, she was overshadowed and underdeveloped. It also felt like there were huge aspects of the Doctor's characterization that were either always there or have been built over time across various incarnations that were just left out of Thirteen. I think that's mostly down to writing, but there were also opportunities in the scripts for Jodie to run with or lean into and she just didn't unless it was the wide-eyed wonder angle. She never felt ancient or dangerous or impossibly clever and any amount of survivor's guilt that has been there since Nine is non-existent.

I don't know. Like I said, Whittaker didn't do a bad job, she just felt like she was playing a different character who happened to be named the Doctor.

Then again, I felt that about Davison for almost all of his TV run...but he's also unfortunately my least favorite Doctor.

I'm not dropping the show, but Chibnall, Whittaker, and the writing team need to step it up next season. And one of companions needs to be written out (Ryan please).

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
I think it would have been nice to have had at least one episode this season with with a traditional villain/monster.

Sadly, this was a mandate by Chibnall. I actually welcomed the idea before the season started, but all the villains we got were fairly weak, not really reusable, or not really villains.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
Jodie was good, but Thirteen is poorly written. She needed fewer companions in her first season, she was overshadowed and underdeveloped. It also felt like there were huge aspects of the Doctor's characterization that were either always there or have been built over time across various incarnations that were just left out of Thirteen.

Agreed.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought there was a lack of hilarious and memorable Doctor-ish "I'm an alien so I genuinely don't quite understand the basics of being a human" type quips e.g.

c767428fd85eada7298303248932116d.png

Wo05hEhx2uMZG.gif

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I definitely agree that Witchfinders was the best of the lot from the most recent series.  It's the only one I'd want to rewatch, and that's just for Alan Cumming.  The story itself was fairly basic, like all the others.  (Did I say that already?)

I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it here too.  This series can best be described as "aggressively mediocre".  That is, there are so many elements there that could be great, but as if by some external force, none of it is put together quite right.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The best episodes were the premiere (with Jodie's best stand out performance as the Doctor, she peaked too early), "Rosa" (bits of it anyway), Kerblam (a 7th Doctor DWM comic strip story come to life), Demons of the Punjabb (should have been a pure historical...wonder if it can edited that way?), and Witchfinders (star performance from Alan Cumming) everything else I could have done without.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Graham once again proves he is the best, with his scarf.
image.php

Top Bottom