• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
TM2YC said:
I imagine anything pre Tom Baker will be released last/later because those Doctors still have many episodes missing and/or not in colour and/or without animated replacements.

Pertwee S10 is confirmed next.  So I'd amend that to pre-Pertwee.  S18 was a last minute addition.

U40xR2j.png

Oh neat :) . I went and had a look on Wikipedia and Season-10 has every episode on "PAL 2" colour videotape" except Ep3 of 'Planet of the Daleks' is available in a colourised "Chroma dot colour recovery and Manual recolourisation hybrid". IIRC an impressive computer algorithm recovered the original colours by analysing a black and white 16mm copy of the episode.

Looking at more of Wikipedia, S9 looks almost complete too, but S8 and S7 are missing most of the colour originals. I watched Pertwee out of sequence, giving me the impression that all his seasons were somewhat patchy.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An amusing and clever Season 18 blu ray trailer....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqgaRb3Le5Q[/video]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yeah that's very H2G2 :).

Random thought about the current show:

I missed having a mix of companions when it was just Doctor+20-something-girl, I liked it when it was 2 or 3 people in the old days. So I welcomed the change in this current series. However, was it perhaps a mistake to bring back that old aspect of the format, while still exploring the deeper character stuff of the new show. Resulting in too much screen-time needing to be devoted to developing all 3 of them and not enough time spent on the Doctor, the adversaries and the story in general.

Don't get me wrong, I like all three new companions... in this order:

1. Graham
2. Yasmin
3. Ryan

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well put, TM2YC. I was happy to see more companions but you're right, without the show's pre-existing mythology to help with the plot there's not enough time in each episode to develop story, new Doctor, and Companions.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it's like Chibnall wanted to return to the Hartnell era, but still write nuWho stories.  As a result, we've got the same problem the show had in the 80s, with Davison especially.  Ryan is definitely the least developed, and I'm not even sure why he's there.  Graham is my favorite of the three, and from what I've read here and elsewhere, that seems to be the consensus.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really curious where the season's going. It feels like some elements are setup for later payoff. Ryan's disability, the second mention of the Stenza in episode 2, the fact that things happened because the TARDIS got lost. I'm still a few episodes behind, but these elements all feel like what Davies would have used to wrap up his seasons. Like "YANA" or Badwolf or four knocks, that kind of stuff. It feels weird because Moffatt continued the setups but fumbled the payoffs and so far Chibnall hasn't tied all this stuff together. I guess it's my hope that the last episode or two really wraps the season in a nice little bow.

Prediction for final episode of season/series 11: 
Stenza return or appear to have set up most of the non stand-alone episode plots, but they only exist at all because of the Doctor's TARDIS problems during the recent regeneration. The TARDIS, while alone and misfiring, accidentally big-banged a star which created a new life-supporting solar system that didn't exist pre-regeneration (or something), where the Stenza developed initially. They now have a plan to get revenge for Tzim-Sha (or maybe he arrives, all goopy, to do revenge for himself) by doing something with human memories and/or brain activity. Luckily, Ryan's disability effectively shields him from their tech, so he can save everyone, including the Doctor, who would have fallen to her death otherwise, mirroring his grandmother's fate and allowing him to feel closure for saving "her" (incidentally, I just now realized "The Woman Who Fell To Earth" was the grandmother, not the Doctor). Graham dies as he feels like he's on borrowed time, perhaps protecting Ryan, as a final testament to his love for Ryan's grandmother. Maybe Yaz loses some family members. Because TV: Yaz and Ryan get together.

I'd be perfectly fine with them doing something different, as long as it's good and/or engaging.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How far behind are you with the episodes?  The Stenza haven't been mentioned since the second episode, and the only remaining episode to be written by Chibnall is the final one.  Chibnall has insisted that every episode would be a standalone, and that there is no series arc.  While your prediction sounds like something that would happen on the show, it's very reminiscent of the Moffat era (series 5 especially), and I don't think it would happen now.

Also I really don't want Graham to die, because then we'd be left with a very boring TARDIS crew...

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All of the characters survive this series and are part of the New Years' special

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
How far behind are you with the episodes?  The Stenza haven't been mentioned since the second episode, and the only remaining episode to be written by Chibnall is the final one.  Chibnall has insisted that every episode would be a standalone, and that there is no series arc.  While your prediction sounds like something that would happen on the show, it's very reminiscent of the Moffat era (series 5 especially), and I don't think it would happen now.

Also I really don't want Graham to die, because then we'd be left with a very boring TARDIS crew...

Last I saw was Kerblam.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Oh, well that's not far behind at all.

I guess not. I'm watching on the BBC America app on my Fire Stick and the episodes aren't available as soon as they air so I just check from time to time and see if there's a new one or two.

I guess what I mean by not stand alone is anything on present day Earth, which in the Davies era always ended up connected but in the Moffatt era not so much.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally got caught up on the PVR.   Really, really enjoyed WITCHFINDER!  

As for Ker-blam..... 

TM2YC said:
We were told the workers were busy and being pushed for efficiency in the dialogue but everything the Director showed us conveyed the opposite. Workers standing round chatting without a care in the world, while packing one item an hour. 

^ THIS!  I think on paper, this was a strong script.  But the execution was awful.   As a postal worker, I found the packaging scene HILARIOUS!!!!   The time they wrapped one parcel, I would have processed easily 30 to 50!!!  I wish I worked at KerBlam LOL.  Honestly, the scene should have looked more like this...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NPzLBSBzPI[/video]
:D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I reckon Michael Sheen is voicing this in the style of Tom Baker :D :

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I reckon Michael Sheen is voicing this in the style of Tom Baker :D :

Ok, now I want Michael Sheen for the next Doctor!!!!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tonight's episode had a nice blend of lore, emotion, and a touch of the bizzare.

I fell into a familiar trap for fans in that I was somewhat expecting Susan to show up at the end when The Doctor stayed behind in the other dimension...and was taken aback by the appearance of Hypnotoad :)

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I felt nothing towards this one...  I wish there was something to keep me going, and the elements are all in place, but it just didn't come together.  Graham continues to show he's the best character of them all at the moment.

Maybe the Doctor was meant to be grandfatherly.  I can't quite place what Jodie's Doctor is supposed to be.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Maybe the Doctor was meant to be grandfatherly.  I can't quite place what Jodie's Doctor is supposed to be.

I think I have a theory about this season. 

The cast has a lot of parallels with the first TARDIS crew. But all the roles are shifted one to the left. Graham is the grandfather, Ryan is the challenged grandchild, Yaz is the former authority who is no longer in charge, The Doctor is the teacher. The stories seem to be a little more interested in education that previously. I guess I'd say the focus of Davies was emotion and Moffatt's was imagination. Anyway, it's conceivable that they approached this season as "back to basics" and reinterpreted what modern Doctor Who should be, and looked at the first crew for inspiration in the writing and planning. Not necessarily the performances. I could be way off base. Trying to form perspective while it's still airing is difficult. 

Current opinions overall per episode:
Woman Who Fell to Earth - fine. It was way more interesting before the human shaped bad guy got out of the weird alien thing. The plot quickly became 'stop that guy'. The emotional beats with the grandma worked for me though, the new Doctor worked for me instantly, there were many cool moments, they were just interspersed.

Ghost Monument - also fine. Again it started really cool and let out steam as it went. I really liked the ideas at play and the series is still new.

Rosa - nearly pitch perfect. Best of the season (still) Imo. The villain was a little bland but that did play into the point of the episode so it's not much of a negative.

Arachnids in the UK - pretty boring. I kept waiting to find out they were more than spiders, but no. The business guy was unsubtle, and makes me think the only reason they'd so prominently mention the 2020 election and him running is that they plan to have him win and reference that in a future episode? Idk, it doesn't make much sense.

Tsuranaga Conundrum - pretty good. I was really into the actual plot, the creature didn't really sell the threat very well, but literally everything else was at least passable if not good.

Demons of the Punjab - great! Really love when a companion visits family with the power of time travel, it's always compelling.

Kerblam - good, pretty standard Doctor Who fare honestly.

Witch finders - great. This one used the Doctor as a woman in the story in a way that made sense and added substance. It also had makeup that reminded me of Waters of Mars. Alan Cumming brings down almost anything he's in imo, but here he worked great.
I just watched the witch episode last night. Gonna see if the new new one is on the app tonight and maybe catch up.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I truly find the Wilderness Years fascinating....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acI7DRYFUPk[/video]

I have only watched a few of Bill Baggs productions on Youtube, and found them to be a mixed experience.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I truly find the Wilderness Years fascinating....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acI7DRYFUPk[/video]

I have only watched a few of Bill Baggs productions on Youtube, and found them to be a mixed experience.

I wonder how hard it would be to convincingly fanedit the video productive into slightly more legitimate episodes.

Top Bottom