• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any time Doctor Who sets are brought up, I feel compelled to say that I would love to purchase a complete DVD set of the Classic series, either in one big box or in season sets. The individual stories are just too expensive, and as you said, mostly out of print. (I own all the modern series digitally already.)

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just have a handful of Tom Baker stories (and that new Blu season 12 set), the Hartnell "The Beginning" set, and a couple Troughton stories, one being the animated Power of the Daleks.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The animated Power of the Daleks DVD was super disappointing.  I'm glad I can watch something, but none of the animations have been particularly good, unfortunately.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved the latest Witchhunt based episode. Alan Cumming stealing every second he was on screen as per.

Explaining a "witchhunt" using bullying was a clever way to make it understandable for younger viewers and thought provoking for adults too

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was good 'till the ending

Really, the monsters were total bellends leaving everyone just unconscious

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How have we still got episodes with rushed endings?  Do these people ever learn that's a serious weakness in these scripts?  It's been a problem on this show forever.

I finally caught up watching "Demons of the Punjab" and "Kerblam"...  I really wish I enjoyed this season as much as some of the other people in this thread.  I enjoy the more educational aspects and the more diverse history being explored, but this history has been covered outside of Doctor Who in a more effective way.  I wish the stories were up to par.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m seeing rumor that Chibnall and Jodie Whitaker are already planning to leave the show.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
BBC have confirmed to Starburst that series 12 will air in Autumn 2019

https://www.starburstmagazine.com/doctor-bbc-confirm-series-12-broadcast-2019

However, a hot rumour is that next season may be Chris Chibnall's last as he is struggling behind the scenes, and Jodie may leave with him

It's important to remember that a 2019 hiatus was also rumoured.  Though, nobody has come up to say this rumour is false, which may be telling.  But, as always, only time will tell for sure.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just realised, the only good thing about the new series of Doctor Who, is that Big Finish is doing loads of special offers (which is useful, as some of their work is really expensive).

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
I just realised, the only good thing about the new series of Doctor Who, is that Big Finish is doing loads of special offers (which is useful, as some of their work is really expensive).

OUTFIT.gif

I disagree. Big Finish IS expensive and if they're having sales, great. But they have nothing to do with the current tv series.

Also, there are a lot of good things about the new series. I thought you said you weren't even going to watch it. So how did you come to the conclusion there's nothing good in the show?

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched the Witchhunt episode.  My favorite of the season, and Jodie finally did something beyond being goofy (to be clear, a fault of the scripts so far, not her).  I kept being reminded of the Tennant episode, "Tooth and Claw", and I don't think this would have been too out of place in the Tennant era.  It's a good formula, and it still works.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
wilhelm scream said:

OUTFIT.gif

I disagree. Big Finish IS expensive and if they're having sales, great. But they have nothing to do with the current tv series.

Also, there are a lot of good things about the new series. I thought you said you weren't even going to watch it. So how did you come to the conclusion there's nothing good in the show?

Because I watched the first episode, and I hated it. Tried watching others and rage-quit over how bad they were.

But in more important news, Tom Baker's final season is coming to blu-ray: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a871532/doctor-who-tom-baker-final-season-blu-ray/

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Series 11 isn't the best season, there's been decent episodes, but they're all just "ok",  and not many of them are rewatchable, about the only thing distinct about them is that they're actually killing people off in them again.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Because I watched the first episode, and I hated it. Tried watching others and rage-quit over how bad they were.

I see.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's been rumoured for ages.  It was supposed to be Pertwee season 10, but someone got excited and commissioned S18 first.  Expect S10 afterwards, and then S26.  As to why they aren't doing S7-S9, the early Pertwee seasons have a lot of issues in regards to their format, color, and so on, that it would be a huge pain to restore and get up to Blu-ray quality.

As to why we aren't getting S13 first...  maybe they want to keep the best sellers for later on in the range to keep its momentum.  Tom's early seasons are guaranteed best sellers.  They can release one of his seasons for every two other Doctors, who have proven to be far less popular.  They know the show got weaker in the 80s, they're not going to go chronologically and risk killing the range before it's complete.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I imagine anything pre Tom Baker will be released last/later because those Doctors still have many episodes missing and/or not in colour and/or without animated replacements.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I imagine anything pre Tom Baker will be released last/later because those Doctors still have many episodes missing and/or not in colour and/or without animated replacements.

Pertwee S10 is confirmed next.  So I'd amend that to pre-Pertwee.  S18 was a last minute addition.

U40xR2j.png

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm personally looking forward to a season 21 blu-ray release the most, as it contains my favourite story of all time (the Caves of Androzani).

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
That's been rumoured for ages.  It was supposed to be Pertwee season 10, but someone got excited and commissioned S18 first.  Expect S10 afterwards, and then S26.  As to why they aren't doing S7-S9, the early Pertwee seasons have a lot of issues in regards to their format, color, and so on, that it would be a huge pain to restore and get up to Blu-ray quality.

As to why we aren't getting S13 first...  maybe they want to keep the best sellers for later on in the range to keep its momentum.  Tom's early seasons are guaranteed best sellers.  They can release one of his seasons for every two other Doctors, who have proven to be far less popular.  They know the show got weaker in the 80s, they're not going to go chronologically and risk killing the range before it's complete.

This makes a ton of sense but feels like it shouldn't have to be that way. Probably because I'm American and entitled and I'm used to shows and movies having all the money for this kind of thing sorted out before the product is even made. Idk, that's probably not even an accurate assessment.

It's like the Classic Who franchise is just some regular schlub like me, living paycheck to paycheck.

Top Bottom