• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yikes, and that promo looked so promising.  Haven't seen it or last week's episodes yet.

I wanted to do a ranking of my favorite Doctors, though.  I'm leaving out Colin, Sylvester, and Jodie, as I haven't seen enough from them to really give them a fair chance.

DOCTORS (Best to Least Best)
  1.  Peter Capaldi
  2.  Patrick Troughton
  3.  William Hartnell
  4.  Jon Pertwee
  5.  Christopher Eccleston
  6.  Tom Baker
  7.  Paul McGann
  8.  Peter Davison
  9.  David Tennant
  10.  Matt Smith

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This one was alright actually...though the biggest plot hole was that the villain got himself into a couple of close calls, imagine what would have happened if he died on the conveyor belt!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Yikes, and that promo looked so promising.  Haven't seen it or last week's episodes yet.

I wanted to do a ranking of my favorite Doctors, though.  I'm leaving out Colin, Sylvester, and Jodie, as I haven't seen enough from them to really give them a fair chance.

DOCTORS (Best to Least Best)
[ul]
[li] Peter Capaldi[/li]
[li] Patrick Troughton[/li]
[li] William Hartnell[/li]
[li] Jon Pertwee[/li]
[li] Christopher Eccleston[/li]
[li] Tom Baker[/li]
[li] Paul McGann[/li]
[li] Peter Davison[/li]
[li] David Tennant[/li]
[li] Matt Smith[/li]
[/ul]

Wow, we have really different tastes in Doctors.
[ul]
[li]Paul McGann[/li]
[li]David Tennant[/li]
[li]Tom Baker[/li]
[li]Jodie Whitaker[/li]
[li]Matt Smith[/li]
[li]Peter Capaldi[/li]
[li]Christopher Eccleston[/li]
[li]Sylvester McCoy[/li]
[li](John Hurt)[/li]
[li]Peter Davison[/li]
[li]Colin Baker[/li]
[li]Jon Pertwee[/li]
[/ul]

I'll omit William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, because I haven't seen any of their stuff for years and I don't remember it very well.

EDITED to fix Troughton's name
Formatting is also all messed up but I don't know why. It looks fine in my preview.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
[snip]

• Colin Baker
  • Jon Pertwee
I'll omit William Hartnell and John Pertwee

Ah!  Yeah, I don't like the Doctor as a romance figure, which is something McGann and Tennant focus on.  I like how he was originally, an eccentric gentleman of science, with a touch of pathos.  That's something that's been lost in the new series for the most part.  Capaldi really was the closest we got.

I recently saw this, and feel it to be somewhat accurate:
raEltBr.png

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
the biggest plot hole was that the villain got himself into a couple of close calls

The biggest plot hole was the plot :D . Spoilers...

Omnipotent factory computer that controls everything and has an entire army of talking robots to carry out it's will and to speak for it, decides the easiest way to get help is to print the words "help me" on the back of a packing slip and send it to a random alien in a flying police box... instead of you know telling anybody who actually works at the factory, at any point it chooses.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It didn't just send it to a random alien, it sent it to the Doctor.

Personally, this was the best episode of the series.  Other than the arachnid episode I think this season has been fantastic, and much better than the convoluted mess that Moffat delivered for most of his run or the high camp of Davies era. 

Same more people don't seem to be enjoying this season.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
It didn't just send it to a random alien, it sent it to the Doctor.

I may have missed something, or I'm getting it wrong but I thought the computer was sending out the messages at random, or to everyone in the hope they would reach somebody that could help. It just so happened that the packing slip included with a Fez was ordered by The Doctor. It certainly didn't choose to contact the The Doctor, unless it could telepathically influence DW to get a sudden hankering for ordering a Fez. I suppose it could have scanned through it's list of orders and sent a message to the most likely person to help?

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've not been able to watch in several weeks, so I've been catching up (I'm still two episodes behind).  I love this so much.  Whittaker is great, her gang is great, I love them all.

Also, this is unrelated, but does anyone know if the Tennant seasons ever got Blu-Ray releases here in region 1?  I found the Eccleston season at a store for less than $15 which was a steal, so I was looking into the rest of the seasons and I can't find 2-4 anywhere.  Am I going to need to give up and get a region-free player (or "hack" my player into being region-free if that's possible)?

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Tennant seasons did get a Blu-ray release in the US.  Unfortunately, you'll be hard pressed to find them.

Luckily for us, they were released in the UK region-free, no hacking required.  Unluckily, they're extremely expensive these days.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
I've not been able to watch in several weeks, so I've been catching up (I'm still two episodes behind).  I love this so much.  Whittaker is great, her gang is great, I love them all.

Also, this is unrelated, but does anyone know if the Tennant seasons ever got Blu-Ray releases here in region 1?  I found the Eccleston season at a store for less than $15 which was a steal, so I was looking into the rest of the seasons and I can't find 2-4 anywhere.  Am I going to need to give up and get a region-free player (or "hack" my player into being region-free if that's possible)?

All the modern DOCTORS just got a blu-ray re-release this past October with new packaging and slimmer cases.
https://www.amazon.ca/Doctor-Who-Ch...TF8&qid=1543031595&sr=1-4&keywords=Doctor+Who

Being Black Friday, if you hurry you can pick them up super cheap!!!

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Those are DVDs.  There is no Blu-ray release to my knowledge, and those DVDs aren't just repackaging the old discs, they don't have any special features at all!

Is there any particular reason you want them on  Blu-ray?  The DVDs are cheaper, and none of his episodes were shot in HD, outside of his final three specials (which can be easily found for cheap in HD).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They weren't kidding about the new UK blu-ray sets of classic DW being "Limited Edition". The Tom Baker one has already sold out and is going for £250 on Amazon Marketplace and anything between £90 and £240 on eBay-UK. Makes me feel better about the £40 I paid and more relaxed about buying the forthcoming Peter Davison set with resale values like that.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The BBC really screwed that up.  I'm convinced it wasn't going to be such a limited edition set, but the issues with some of the discs and the general incompetency of the BBC has let it go OOP.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
Where's the Blu-Ray?  That page seems to only list DVDs.

Oops sorry.  I could have sworn the listing was for Blu rays.
My mistake.
Or maybe the timeline got altered. lol

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been considering re-editing Twice Upon a Time, but I'm not really sure how to fix it beyond removing the First Doctor's misogyny and replacing Ben's voice with the original actor.  There are good moments in there, but there's so much that's wrong with it I'm not sure how salvageable it really is.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
I've been considering re-editing Twice Upon a Time, but I'm not really sure how to fix it beyond removing the First Doctor's misogyny.  There are good moments in there, but there's so much that's wrong with it I'm not sure how salvageable it really is.

I feel that episode suffers from a few things. The biggest problem is it's trying to be too many types of special Doctor Who all at once. Is it a regeneration story, is it a Christmas special, or is it a multi Doctor story? I think taking emphasis away from one of those would make it stronger overall. It can function as two things at once, but not three. So if you get rid of some of the First Doctor, I'd recommend cutting most of him, so he's not much more than a cameo. The performance is great but he mostly doesn't need to be there.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I were to undertake such an edit, I wouldn't cut anything of Bradley except the forced misogynistic jokes that betray the character.   The performance is great, and in an episode that struggles to be great, cutting him would only take the whole thing down for me.  I agree that he doesn't really need to be there for most of the story as it is now, but perhaps there's a way to make him more integrated into the whole of it.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Those are DVDs.  There is no Blu-ray release to my knowledge, and those DVDs aren't just repackaging the old discs, they don't have any special features at all!

Is there any particular reason you want them on  Blu-ray?  The DVDs are cheaper, and none of his episodes were shot in HD, outside of his final three specials (which can be easily found for cheap in HD).

Because I'm dumb and didn't know (or maybe just forgot) that they weren't shot in HD.  Also, now that I have the Eccleston season on Blu, I want the next series to line up nicely on the shelf because, again, I'm dumb.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want the next series to line up nicely on the shelf because, again, I'm dumb.

I completely understand.  I went to the trouble of finding all the region 1 DVDs for Hartnell and Troughton, most of which are now long OOP, simply because I didn't want to mix and match.  I could have saved a lot of money if I went for the R2 discs.  Thankfully I only committed to the first two Doctors there (and managed to find them far cheaper than you'd expect); I ended up selling the other DVDs I had in anticipation of the Blu-ray sets, which should save me the money I spent on the DVDs.  Faulty logic, but it checks out.

Top Bottom