• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*checks to see which thread this is in*

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
*checks to see which thread this is in*

My thoughts on dance in general apply to the Doctor who themed dance video, and also there's no dance thread. Seemed appropriate at the time.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I posted something about a crazy Doctor Who dance and you took on the whole concept of dance.

That's fine, just seems like a weird thing to take out of that story is all.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They mentioned the Brig being a Cyberman in that dance competition article.  I could go on a whole tirade about how terrible that whole concept was... but for once I'll save it.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched The Sensorites for the first time.  Not a great story, and I'm not alone in saying that, but it was fun to see Hartnell's Doctor again.  There are a lot of good moments in the first episode, especially in the TARDIS.  But it is somewhat similar to the plot of The Aztecs, only on an alien planet with not very threatening aliens.  The differences make themselves apparent in the final episode; it  surprised me with how many ideas were thrown into that single episode, only to be resolved a few minutes later.

The writer has been an enigmatic figure in the past, and there's an excellent bonus feature in which Toby Hadoke (a regular of these DVD features) unearths some details about him.  It's well worth the watch, and possibly more interesting than the story itself.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw the new episode.  Another cartoon villain...  I hope this isn't a sign that all our new villains will be more or less cartoon caricatures.  Definitely not as strong as Rosa, but the cobwebs looked good.  I'm a bit concerned that the quality of the show might not be as greatly improved as I had hoped, but it's still way too early to say.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We're a month or so in, and frankly I don't see the quality getting any better. "Rosa" was the strongest one we got, and I'd credit that to Malorie Blackman than any of Chibnall's little touches.

Bradley and Jodie are the best actors and characters in the whole thing so far.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I've really enjoyed Bradley Walsh.  He seems the most developed of the three companions.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Doctor Alan Grant teams with Captain Jack Sparrow, and Gwen Stacey battles Heimdall

^ Then you got something!

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been looking back at Capaldi moments...  It's a lot better than I remember.  I wish I appreciated it more.  It's still too early to weigh judgement on this new showrunner, but there hasn't been an absolute masterpiece of an episode yet to compare to the heights of, say, Vincent and the Doctor or Heaven SentRosa comes close, but I don't think it's quite there.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen a few things like this:

5OoQiIw.jpg

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like I might be falling into this cycle for this one.  I never hated Capaldi, I've always thought he is the best of the new series, but I found the writing lackluster.  Definitely was more excited that Moffat was leaving than anything else, but I'm still wary.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally caught up.

This season is okay so far, and Whittaker is good, but nothing has stood out. I was most disappointed to not see any of the Doctor's beneath-the-surface fury come out at Not!Trump when he shot the spider - that would have been a perfect moment for it.

To me, you can't quite be the Doctor if you can't get that aspect right - I felt it in Capaldi from the start, in Smith from the end of The Beast Below, in Tennant fairly early on, in Eccleston almost straight through his whole run, in McGann in several of his audio's (Scherzo still has me scared of him), and in all of the classic Doctors bar maybe Davison, who I never really connected with as a Doctor either.

I'm hoping Whitaker will get a chance to show the Doctor's rage before this series is up. She's nailed everything else - hell, she's got the childlike sense of wonder at the universe that no Doctor since McGann has quite perfectly encapsulated - and she came close in Rosa, but I still can't see her delivering Smith's "Colonel Runaway" speech, for example.

But it's still fairly early. I'm excited for some episodes that don't have Chibnall with a writing credit.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is not the first time I've heard her compared to Davison's down-to-earth Doctor.  And it makes sense, given Capaldi's pretty alien nature.  New Doctors generally try to really be different from the previous one.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have refrained thus far from commenting but....

Four episodes in and... "meh"

Clearly, it will take more than a gender swap and a fantastic performance from Whittaker to reinvigorate this franchise.

While the episodes thus far are better constructed and concluded than most Moffat era stories, they all feel very average and unmemorable.  Even "Rosa", thus far easily the best episode, was not enough to excite or surprise me.

The new companion dynamic is Fine.  It is comfortable and safe.   

Not sure about the new TARDIS.   I guess they trying for a more alien look?  But so far, the huge alien crystals and the angles they are filming, makes the Tardis feel smaller to me.

I was really hoping for a more dramatic, bolder tone change in the storytelling.   I recognize that in any franchise there is a certain built in story formula that must be adhered to, but that should not preclude the producers from pushing the boundaries of that formula.   In the classic era at least, each new Doctor (and production team) attempted to go in new different directions, thus giving each new Doctor era its own distinct feel.   This so far to me feels like just more of the same.  I mean it is not bad.  It is Fine.   But I am really struggling to find a reason to tune in each week or even set my PVR.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are Matt Smith's first four episodes:

1.  The Eleventh Hour
2.  The Beast Below
3.  Victory of the Daleks
4.  The Time of the Angels

It's still not fair to judge how this series is going.  Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks are especially bad, but I suppose the Eleventh Hour was just so good that it didn't matter as much.  We've still got time.  It's not as good as I'd hoped it'd be, but it can always get better, and we haven't yet had an outright bad episode.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Beast Below wasn't too bad - at the very least we got a great performance out of Matt when he had to make the big decision at the end. I'd honestly put it about at the same level as 11x02.

Top Bottom