• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It'll definitely take a bit of getting used to.  Especially since I did enjoy the previous TARDIS set quite a bit.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moreso than the originals?

14bb56af24ccc621cd44206a085ea36b.jpg

I'm not too fond of the new design, but I wouldn't say it looks cheap!

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:

14bb56af24ccc621cd44206a085ea36b.jpg

I never said it was the worst one, but it's easily the weakest of the newWho ones.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Handman said:

I never said it was the worst one, but it's easily the weakest of the newWho ones.

Sure, I agree, but it's not cheap!

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
wilhelm scream said:
Handman said:

Well that's it looks like to me.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Handman said:
wilhelm scream said:
Handman said:

Well that's it looks like to me.

Lolok.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is "Lolok" a character on the show?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tonight's episode was pretty sound...some people are saying it made them cry, but I guess I'm cold to emotional storytelling...just felt like a fifth season episode of Quantum Leap to me. 

Though Doc and Graham posing as an item in the hotel..I 'ship it.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, this episode was emotionally sound.  I'm reminded of "Thin Ice", where the Doctor punched a bigot in the face.  This presented a situation where that wasn't possible, even though you want that to happen, and as a result was much more effective on an emotional level.  Rosa Parks was portrayed well, but again the story feeds more into the legend of Rosa Parks we're taught in elementary school rather than history.  However, the period setting was very well realized.  The whole dynamic between all of the companions and the Doctor is starting to come into its own, and I'm really liking these characters.

The weakest part of the story by far is the villain... what was his motivation?  He was a bit of a cartoon.  However, the villain only existed to present the premise of the episode, and wasn't meant to be a focus, so it's not a major weakness.

However, a part of this did feel like an after-school special, especially the final scene.  But this wasn't really so much a lesson about the historical context that surrounded this particular event, so much as a lesson on racism in 1950s America in general.  The show is also aimed at a younger audience, so this is the approach that makes the most sense anyway.

Very effective.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The mixture of nerdy accuracy and avant-garde Radiophonic soundtrack makes this video weird and funny genius:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night's episode was a run of the mill monster caper, with a few nods at environmentalism and shaming Americans. The spiders homing in on rap music to enter the panic room was a bit of a stretch, but Bradley Walsh stole the show as Graham as he mourned Grace

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:

Means very little to me as a big DW fan. Not your fault though.

I really don't understand dance as an art form, and as a result I have trouble appreciating it. The rules don't make sense to me. I rarely feel like dancers I've seen have perfect rhythm or like their moves interact with the sounds in the music, like timing it to seem like the moves create or affect (or are affected by) the sounds. If I were a dancer that's the kind of thing I'd try to do, but as a non-dancing viewer I can't even tell if that's a priority most of the time. When I dance my "moves" are closer to the robot or head bopping/hip shaking/walking in place to the rhythm, not exactly high profile stuff.

In a sport, the consequence of messing up is you don't score and the other team maybe does. In playing music, the consequence of messing up is now the song sounds bad/wrong. In video editing, the consequence of messing up is a bad video. With these the "rules" are clear (to me), and there is a right and wrong way to do things. 

But messing up a dance move in the middle of an elaborate sequence, and there seems to be no consequence (unless the move is messed up to the point of the dancer being injured). The audience can assume it was an embellishment or stylistic choice and the dancer moves on to the next move, with the song, the timing, etc all maintained.

On top of that, dance moves always seem so unnatural to me (doubly so when dancer in question is in costume as a character not known for dancing) and rarely indicate any kind of "story". (He's reaching that way, now that other way, now the first way, he's doing a thing that would hurt my shoulder if I tried, now he's running in a circle, and he fell over.) It seems like context is usually missing. 

I recently saw a Suicide Squad style Joker/Harley Quinn dance and did NOT get it at all. To me this is very similar.

Top Bottom