• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
I'm glad they took a Star Trek TOS approach for re-touching the effects - that is, making them optional.  Clean, detailed CGI renders simply don't work when intercut with the vintage costume/set/production design of shows like this.

I'm of mixed opinion, personally. But I think there can be merit to it, so I'll play devil's advocate for the changes. New viewers are more likely to watch the altered version, and it really seems tailored to them, but also the alterations can allow the script to be better translated to video. In the example clip, the original version had a guy turning a knob but the image on their screen remained the same, and the altered version showed a different image for each knob turn. Little things like that make the intent clearer.

In the end having the choice is the important thing, but if you think about it it's kinda like having the choice between the more faithful reproduction if the original broadcast and the more faithful reproduction of the writer and/or director's vision.

That's what George would probably say, anyway.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy moly, I turned into addiesin. Talk about special effects!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Holy moly, I turned into addiesin. Talk about special effects!

nA0Ggjxl.gif

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoa.  Not sure how I managed to do that.  Didn't mean to put words into someone else's mouth.   Probably some sort of multi-quote that got out of hand.  Sorry for any confusion.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Is it just me, but does this look awful?

It's just you... unless you mean the Pizza? then yeah it looks like a frozen own-brand.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
Is it just me, but does this look awful?

It's just you... unless you mean the Pizza? then yeah it looks like a frozen own-brand.

Well at least I found a good video that illustrates my point: 

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I won't say it's awful.  I don't think it's anything.  We see some cast members and mysterious goings-on that may or may not be in the actual show.  It's as much of a teaser as a teaser can be.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For some reason, Twitch streamed the four part version of Vengeance on Varos. As an editor, seeing the akward editing of these two 45 minute inslalments was fascinating as we got some pretty weird cliffhangers ("Walk Peri!)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Doctor meets the Muppets!!!!!!!  :D

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSRAoSCO2O0[/video]

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4aQ4KevzQo[/video]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I wanna see a photo shoot of all those Muppets together in the little Doctor Who costumes they made for them.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I'm getting excited now but since that teaser eschewed any DW music, here are a couple of new fan title sequences that both look and sound quite different:

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:

Still doesn't look good to me. I can't say why, but it doesn't feel right. But I will until it actually broadcasts to judge.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
More promising.  Digging the amber-hue to the sonic screwdriver.  What's that aspect ratio?  Looks a bit wider than 1.85:1.  2.0:1?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So some photos leaked this week...can't post them here in case we get in trouble, but most interesting

A brief glimpse of the TARDIS interior (gearwork roundels apparently), Doc and friends on a derelict junkyard planet, that woman from Corrie that appeared also in Broadchurch, and a pregnant man

Top Bottom