• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's right. The only classic serial filmed was Spearhead from Space which already has been released on Blu-ray. Everything else was taped.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I need some advice....

Tom Baker's first series comes out on region 1 Blu-ray in June, but is it worth buying?
I already own it on dvd, and I was under the impression, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the reason the original DW episodes have not been released on BR before now was because they were not shot on film?

So would I be just buying DVD quality video (with slight up conversion?) on Blu Ray?  Would the only real difference be rather than all the bonus features being on a seperate disc they would all be on a single BR????

:huh:

It was standard BBC practice at that time to record all the studio stuff on to tape but film all the location material on 16mm, so it's possible that half of each episode could get a boost being on blu-ray. However, I'm not sure if by Tom Baker's time they hadn't started doing the location stuff on tape too. I bought the recent Tom Baker 'Shada' blu-ray and I thought the studio tape looked great, so I'll probably be purchasing this set. Then again I've only got 7 out of 40-ish Tom Baker DVDs, so this set is a good deal for me. If you already own them all on DVD I wouldn't bother.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It should be noted that, in theory, the Blu-Ray versions of the standard definition material will look a bit better than any Region 1 DVD release.  Doctor Who's SD stuff was in PAL resolution 576i, which gets reduced to 480i for NTSC releases.  Should be less compression, etc.

However.  I'm a little worried they might screw up the field rate.  Ideally, the best way to do it is in 1080i/30 with field repeats.  In other words, it'd allow all 50 fields of the tape stuff to be preserved, with only a slight hit to quality for the film portions.  But if they go for a progressive scan version, we're looking at some serious compromises that could wind up screwing with the tape material.  1080p/30 would mean a loss of up to 2/5 of every field, or some serious blending/blurring artifacts.  1080p/24 would mean losting half of every frame, or bluring, and on top of that, PAL to NTSC speed changes, to boot.  I'm gonna wait until the set is released and reviewed by tech-savvy sources before investing.  Having film material in HD quality is awesome, but if it results in SD stuff that looks worse than the PAL DVD releases, it isn't worth it to me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blu-ray can do 1080/50i right? I think Shada is encoded like that.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, but not in NTSC regions.  Spearhead from Space was in that format in the UK, but the US release was 1080p/24 with speed conversion.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for all the info my Whovian friends.

I think instead of pre-ordering, I will wait for the official release and for the reviews to roll in before double dipping.  :)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reading some posts over here  seem to suggest that all the film footage is sourced from the PAL SD telecine, with no true HD film scans present whatsoever.  If so, that really makes me wonder why they're bothering with a Blu-Ray release at all.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Reading some posts over here  seem to suggest that all the film footage is sourced from the PAL SD telecine, with no true HD film scans present whatsoever.  If so, that really makes me wonder why they're bothering with a Blu-Ray release at all.

The main reason for me to buy it, it is waaaaay cheaper in this new configuration (not to mention less shelf space) than in their original separate region 1 dvd releases.  I mean many of the classic episodes are out of print in North America and would require me to re-mortage my house to collect them LOL.  :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yep it's a great space saver and money saver if you want to own these. I'm just waiting to hear about the mastering before buying.  Looks like the Region-A release will be labelled as "DW Tom Baker Season 1", while the Region-B release will be labelled as "DW The Collection Season 12":

hqdefault.jpg

11706501-1664564379319408.jpg

I prefer the latter and am imagining how good it'll look on a shelf if/when they do future releases of the other classic Doctors.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's been a leaked clip of Jodie interacting with her companions and it's a blast

she channels a bit of Eccelston in one moment, and asks if being a woman suits her

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A nice summary review of the upcoming Tom Baker blu-ray.....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3TGfBVkZcI[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New CGI FX comparison for the upcoming Blu-ray for the Cyberman episode....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjEPmGKaaW0[/video]

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
very cool that there is the option to watch the original or the new VFX version on the upcoming blu-ray!

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
New CGI FX comparison for the upcoming Blu-ray for the Cyberman episode....

It may just be me but I much prefer the original.  Part of the charm, at least for me, of older TV shows are the sets, wardrobe, effects, etc.  They did something similar to this for Star Trek The Original Series and I didn't like it then either.  Even though that ship was a model, I think it holds up much more than that questionable CG.  Not only that, but that CG will be even more dated than it already is in just a few years.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
very cool that there is the option to watch the original or the new VFX version on the upcoming blu-ray!

My apologies, I didn't see this comment before making my own.  If you do indeed have the option to watch either one, I'm more for that.  I'm sure there are many people who don't share my opinion and like the updated graphics.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree that the originals have a lot of charm and should always be preserved. The update is just a fun "what-if" in my opinion. It's like an updated Star Wars - I'd be okay with George Lucas' fuckery as long as he made the theatrical version available.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Valid point @"ThrowgnCpr" , once I saw your comment about being able to choose either option I was on board with the updates.  As for Star Wars, I'll share that same opinion if Disney ever releases the unaltered trilogy which seems more of an option if their purchase of Fox is ever finalized.  Nevertheless, enough about Star Wars and back to The Doctor  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unboxing of the UK blu-ray set and the packaging looks so nice:

The earlier US set has apparently got an audio issue with one episode but I'm yet to hear if they've fixed it for the UK release next week.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad they took a Star Trek TOS approach for re-touching the effects - that is, making them optional.  Clean, detailed CGI renders simply don't work when intercut with the vintage costume/set/production design of shows like this.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Unboxing of the UK blu-ray set and the packaging looks so nice:

I am so jelly.  The UK release looks gorgeous.

The North American blu-ray appears to lack all the cool niffy packaging.  On the flip side, it is thinner than the UK release and will fit on the Blu ray shelf nicely.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw5fJAVY684[/video]

When I get mine, I will probably redo the cover so it says Season 12 instead of Season 1.   Why do they feel they need to dumb it down for us across the pond?   :p

Top Bottom