• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jane Bond. I want to watch this. Have Jane and James pitted against each other by rival secret government agencies or whatever in a high octane action scenario and see who's the best spy and or womanizer (it'd be a draw, or Jane+James=thebest) then they'd have to rebuild their marriage before stopping the villian/ess.

I don't care for the Daniel Craig 007 films. Never seen Doctor Who, or know where to start.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There were a lot of people who couldn't even handlethe idea of  a blonde James Bond. Or a black Roland Deschain. Why not just create a new character? Because there's a brand already. A female Bond would already have the brand power that some new female super spy character would not.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Never seen Doctor Who, or know where to start.

The only episodes I've seen are some of the Tom Baker ones, and I didn't care for it.  Granted it might have been because I was watching 70's production values, but the impression stuck.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A simple test is to watch 1975's 'Genesis of the Daleks'.

The Doctor is sent back in time to kill Space-Hitler (Davros) and prevent him from  creating the Space-Nazis (Daleks). If you don't enjoy that story and can't see past the low production values, to the great writing/acting beneath, then you aren't going to like the rest of it and probably shouldn't waste your time.

EDIT: Or watch the 1970 serial 'Spearhead from Space'. It was the only classic story shot entirely on film and so is the only one now available on blu-ray. It looks a lot better production values wise.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be fair to myself, I was probably seven or eight years old at the time.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Doc 3 for me.
Pertwee with that full mane, tooling around in Bessie.

five-doctors_02_512.jpg

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm primarily a fan of the modern series - one day I'll get around to continuing the classics.  Matt Smith is my Doctor, but Hartnell's all kinds of underrated.  Much like Capaldi, he started grumpy, but as he interacted more and more with humans, he mellowed considerably. 

His line flubbing is a charming, if unintentional quirk.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jayzuss, I missed some fireworks while I was away.

Gaith said:
I'd think it'd be more interesting to create the new female womanizing super-spy character

agreed. I, too, would be interested in watching a lesbian super-spy who's a womanizer.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
*sigh* I could easily just keep this to myself, but fuck it

Super-personal-spoopy-SJW-attackhelicopter-narrative incoming:

I'm about to start my transition into being a woman after living as a man for over two decades.
This could not have happened at a more perfect time for someone like me.

The finale of this season reeked of dysphoric undertones, so a female doctor wasn't at all a surprise to me.

To argue against the idea that a fictional character in a TV show could be genderfluid, when so many people in our society already are, I would argue is more damaging than it would be to these strawboys having their favourite action figure taken away from them.

Besides, we've already seen Time Lords not only change gender but change race and physical age. This isn't even the first time The Doctor has been a woman! Joanna Lumley did it decades ago!

Again, sorry for the personal shit, but this is a personal topic to me. I grew up watching the Tom Baker Who, then continued in with the 2005 reboot. I'm absolutely in love with the show. Other people watch the show than white, straight, cisgender males. Why are their feelings more important than ours?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great post, and applaud your courage in making it.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, representation matters. And I think that's okay for it's own sake. However, I also think the vast majority of these moves are also done for story reasons and/or casting a great actor in the role (see Gunslinger).  

Dangermouse's arguments that this move will somehow enable kids to be crueler by calling other kids gay is straight up ignorant and I don't mind calling him out on it. If he wants to discuss why in a civil manner, I'm happy to. But screaming liberal intolerance for calling him out on an ignorant and homophobic attitude is not going to fly. If your kids tease other kids that way, teach your shitty kids to not be shitty. Don't scream about a TV show. 

Thanks for your post, Zamros. And good luck to you.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the kind words.
I just wish it was as easy as simply "Regenerating". Bloody science fiction.... :p

The way I see it, these sorts of changes have to fundamentally change a character to truly be worth getting in an uproar about. Jane Bond wouldn't work because a central part of James Bond's character is his hyper-masculinity, I'd argue that IS his character. Changing the Gunslinger to a black man doesn't change his character, making The Doctor into a woman wouldn't change their character.

The Doctor is now technically a transperson. One thing transpeople have to stress is that they're still the same person, after they've transitioned. The Doctor is still the same Doctor. She's just gonna be different for a while, and that's ok! Peter Capaldi was different for a while, so was Matt Smith, and David Tennant, and Ecclestone.... etc.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aye, best wishes for your transition, Zamros. "Good luck... we're all counting on you!" to feel as comfortable and content with your identity as anyone. :)

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bookies' favourite Kris Marshall is now being tipped to become the new companion.
But then again...

4796720.jpg

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
. . . I grew up watching the Tom Baker Who, then continued in with the 2005 reboot. I'm absolutely in love with the show. Other people watch the show than white, straight, cisgender males. Why are their feelings more important than ours?

When the new Doctor was announced, I foolishly misread Forrest Whitaker and thought, "Black Doctor, about damn time."
When I realized my mistake, my reaction was much the same, though I felt like a loon.
Not that I intend to watch.  Even my stacks of old Dr Who DVDs seem to gather dust.
For every rewatch, I feel like I squandered the chance for a new series, new movie, new book.
I understand, though, how attached and invested viewers become in television programs.

Per your last question, I wonder if humanity has always been so ego-centric or if this has to do with increasingly narcissism and growing population density.

And good luck on your adventure ahead, Zamros!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some Christmas special footage coming today/tonight after SDCC

Top Bottom