• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guys, do you remember that episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor showed everyone his penis and everyone laughed and said "Oh, Mr. Doctor! You're always showing your penis that you're so proud of! That is SO crucial to your character! Also your testicles and beard."

I'm having trouble finding the exact episode but based on some other reactions I've seen online to this reveal, it must exist, right?

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The more I think about it, the more stupid this casting is. It may well be positive for girls. But it is not positive for boys. Has anyone even considered that in the decision-making process?
Imagine being a 10 year old boy who is a Doctor Who fan. Imagine now the teasing and catcalls on the playground. "Are you going to turn into a woman too?" "Gay!" etc. Kids are cruel. A positive male role model who doesn't use his fists to solve problems or to get the girl or to save the galaxy has been turned into a woman. Doh!
The new companion has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders, as he's got to be the new role model. Hope he's up to the task.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
A positive male role model who doesn't use his fists to solve problems

Unless you're a racist... ;)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
The more I think about it, the more stupid this casting is. It may well be positive for girls. But it is not positive for boys. Has anyone even considered that in the decision-making process?
Imagine being a 10 year old boy who is a Doctor Who fan. Imagine now the teasing and catcalls on the playground. "Are you going to turn into a woman too?" "Gay!" etc. Kids are cruel. A positive male role model who doesn't use his fists to solve problems or to get the girl or to save the galaxy has been turned into a woman. Doh!
The new companion has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders, as he's got to be the new role model. Hope he's up to the task.

So a woman can't be a role model? 
Holy shit what year is it?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:

I legitimately can't tell if this is sarcasm.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:

This is just an ignorant comment. It's in the same vein as, "Why should there be Black Pride Month? We should get White Pride Month too!" or "Black Lives Matter is stupid! All lives matter! We'll completely ignore the fact that most white people stopped by the police aren't shot on sight." (Yes I'm exaggerating to an extent, but hopefully you get the point.)

Why can't a young boy look up to a female Doctor Who? If she's a good person who has good morals, then who cares if DW is male or female? Also, we've had over 50 years of young girls having to look up to a male Doctor, and it hasn't done them any harm.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Also, we've had over 50 years of young girls having to look up to a male Doctor, and it hasn't done them any harm.

Well said.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad to see that most of us are better than the internet...

I'm sad to see we aren't all better than the internet.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"dangermouse", are we assuming the new companion is going to be a male?  Why not have two women traveling together (like Clara and Me)?

Am I weird for being a SuperMAN fan and watching SuperGIRL on TV?  My friends certainly don't make fun of me, but granted we are adults.

For the kids, I think the lesson has to be that a hero does not need to be gender specific.  This decision has nothing to do with pandering, but a legitimate evolution of the character.  It's 2017 and people are in an uproar about a female Doctor?  

And please, don't give me the whole "does that mean James Bond should be a woman" argument.  In this case, when you aren't dealing with a gender specific character and dealing with a character that has the ability to turn into a woman, make it so then.  Also, don't bring up the Ghostbusters argument either because that is it's own bag of nonsense when it comes to trying to poorly prove a point and then failing.

We're talking about a fictional ALIEN here.  

Granted, the backlash is par for the course when it comes to casting a new Doctor, but it just feels a bit more elevated given that the role is going to a woman, which is sad, but it will be awesome when the 13th Doctor kicks ass!

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good grief. Are you guys seriously so dumb that you don't realise how this can be a problem? Do none of you have boys or even remember what it is to be a boy? Or are you just so swamped by GroupThink that it is impossible to do anything than be wildly giddy at "woman is doctor" news. Me happy! Me with rest of world. Me no need to think.
I thought maybe there would be some considered reflection, at least on this site. But no, I get the condescending "I can't tell if this is legitimate", "It's 2017" and "But I like watching girl characters". 

This is grandstanding by the Beeb, pure and simple. There is no in-universe reason for the doctor to suddenly be a woman.
And @"musiced921" I would be quite happy to watch a female Bond, and I very much enjoyed the female Luke Skywalker in the form of Rey. I'm not against solid woman lead characters. But I remember well what it was like to be a boy, especially a boy interested in SciFi. You're already a target. And then making your hero suddenly a woman will open you to all sorts of teasing and bullying. We already had such great female co-leads in River, Martha, Clara, Amy, Donna, and even Rose. Why the desperate need to "woman-wash" the Doctor (as I saw one wag put it)?
If you guys are deliriously happy about this announcement, great. But do understand that there a good reasons why this may be a very foolish move, and bleating a knee-jerk "misogynist" or "Victorian prude" etc. just makes you look a bit of a jerk.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
dangermouse said:

This is just an ignorant comment. It's in the same vein as, "Why should there be Black Pride Month? We should get White Pride Month too!" or "Black Lives Matter is stupid! All lives matter! We'll completely ignore the fact that most white people stopped by the police aren't shot on sight." (Yes I'm exaggerating to an extent, but hopefully you get the point.)

Q2 - this post is bang out of order, and I think you should apologise. Implying that not being deliriously in favour of the Doctor being a woman is the same as hating Black Pride Month is both rude and foolish. If we all started calling everyone we disagreed with a racist this forum would degenerate pretty quickly.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dangermouse, I don't know how old you are, but it's possible that the concerns you have about this are generational. From the conversations I have with my teenage daughter, I think young people are much less hung up on gender roles, sexuality and the like than my generation were growing up. 

Of course the BBC have done this to cause a stir - despite the way it receives income, it is still a business and therefore in the business to increase ratings. But it's still the right time to do this. Even so, I think they have still played it on the safe side somewhat by casting an attractive, white, blonde actress. Small steps, though. Small steps.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
(Doctor) Who cares?

I don't like this show at all so I'll never watch it anyway, but I'm fine with a female Doctor. It's nice to have equity in acting. It does seem like it's hyperpolarized on female leads right now, but that is probably only because the stories with big followings (Star Wars/Trek, Doctor Who, etc) are casting women in lead roles. It's still very much a man's trade.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE BOYS ON THE PLAYGROUND

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have two boys--7 and 5--and I think your argument is stupid. And I'm not "deliriously happy" since I'm not even a Doctor Who fan nor do I watch it.

That said, I do remember what it was like to be into sci-fi and fantasy and role-playing. I was also in band if you want to go down that road, and this was all back in the early 90's when being a geek/nerd wasn't "in". I had a good group of friends and none of us were picked on or made fun of even though we were in that unpopular clique. I don't know what it's like being in middle school or high school today (I'm sure it's much more difficult with the 24/7 bullying that can happen thanks to cellphones and social media) but being a geek certainly doesn't have that stigmatism it once had. You can make that argument simply by the plethora of superhero movies and sci-fi TV shows.

No one knee-jerk reacted and called you a misogynist, but now that you mention it all I see in the Twitter hate is a bunch of misogynistic men (boys?) feeling emasculated. The same thing happened when Idris Elba was announced as Roland for The Dark Tower: all these people freaked out because he was black. Who cares? Is he, or she in the case of Doctor Who, a good actor? That's all that should matter.

And didn't Doctor Who set up the fact the Doc could be a woman several years ago? I think so.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They've set this up in the show for about a decade. This isn't even the first time this character has regenerated into a female actor. See the Curse of Fatal Death. 

Danger mouse, you seem to be projecting your insecurities onto others. You appear very emotionally invested in your stance, and so far haven't shown any out of the box thinking on the issue. You say you're worried about the possibility of some children picking on other children. Well, children are mean, and if one wants to pick on another, they will regardless of whether they like a lady character. I feel like this is basic and shouldn't need to be said. But I was picked on for years as a kid, basically til puberty, and can tell you first hand it didn't matter one bit what I liked or didn't like. Your line of thinking here is at best flawed and at worst needlessly sexist.

And you're ignoring actual points against your argument, instead getting offended (while retaining the objectively more offensive perspective). 

I will say once more but on the form of a question: in your opinion, why can't a woman be a role model for a boy?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
Q2 said:
dangermouse said:

Q2 - this post is bang out of order, and I think you should apologise. Implying that not being deliriously in favour of the Doctor being a woman is the same as hating Black Pride Month is both rude and foolish. If we all started calling everyone we disagreed with a racist this forum would degenerate pretty quickly.

To repeat myself...careful.  Things are already degenerating pretty quickly and I'm not in the mood to let it continue much longer.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DE4dJFbXYAAiBRW.jpg

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Well I won't be watching" is really all that anyone opposed should need to say.

Top Bottom