• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think it does, despite what The Master says [in a title drop gag line that only makes sense if you're a die-hard Who nut], we know from next week the more advanced Cyber designs play a part in the story also. The ship came from Mondas, but we don't know yet if it'll go back there to begin the conversions or if it's just something that was already a priority on the planet when the ship departed.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I don't think it does, despite what The Master says [in a title drop gag line that only makes sense if you're a die-hard Who nut], we know from next week the more advanced Cyber designs play a part in the story also. The ship came from Mondas, but we don't know yet if it'll go back there to begin the conversions or if it's just something that was already a priority on the planet when the ship departed.

I hope your right about that.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
A clip of The Master in action

So I wasn't the only one to think that :D .

Sigh. I wish Simm would stick around. It's nice to have a Master who looks like The Master, acts like The Master, has an evil Master goatee and is you know, actually called "The Master". Oh well, back to Hannibal Poppins then.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Overall, I have found this season to be average... it feels a bit tired, a bit predictable...  last episode especially left me bored and I was really looking forward to it as I have always been fascinated by the mystery of the 9th Legion, but this just felt like Moffat by the numbers, nothing fresh or surprising.

Upon reflection, Word Enough and Time would have been a great, if not fantastic, episode if it hadn't been completely ruined by the BBC marketing department.  We have known for months about the return of The Master and the Mondasian Cybermen, so the very well constructed and executed build up and reveal feels like pointless filler until the second part.  Sadly, now the first part feels more like an easter egg buffet for long time Whovians.

Hopefully the conclusion gives Moffat and Capaldi the home run send off they both deserve.   

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28uc4L4Z30A[/video]

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You think that's bad?  Even if one went in spoiler-free, the BBC America broadcast still spoiled it.  During commercial breaks this season (for reasons I can't fathom), they showed out of context clips from the episode that were yet to air.  For this episode, it was the Mondas revelation, followed by a Cyberman appearance - long before either showed up in context.  Not fun.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only way the season finale's ending scene could have provoked an even stronger reaction from me would have been if it looked like this:

SPOILERS

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mixed emotions over the series 10 finale...

Great direction and editing.  The score, as per usual, was epic and emotional.  Dr. Who has one of the best tv soundtracks, it very effectively stirs the FEELS in me every time I watch LOL.

All performances were excellent.  Capaldi was outstanding!  Total standing ovation.  I really don't want him to go.

But when it comes to the actual story.... I dunno.... on first watch, I was sucked in and completely emotionally manipulated.  Upon second watch, I felt more frustrated and disappointed.

The Two Masters.... very anti-climatic.  Honestly, other than the Who historic moment of the having them team up, and some witty banter between them, they really did not have any significant impact on the narrative.  The story could have worked just as effectively without them.  It really felt like a wasted opportunity.  Though I did appreciate the way Moffat ended their team up, it felt in character, mixed with tragedy and irony.

Bill... speaking of tragedy... I loved her arc right up til the last 10 minutes.   It was powerful and heart wrenching.  And then the Moffat reset button was hit.   Even though the ending was set up in the season opener, it still felt like out of left field and a cheat.  Not to mention, it was very repetitive of Clara's fate, which was handled much better.   Also, Bill's ping pong of emotion... sad to happy to sad back to happy... really played out odd.

Nardo.... so not safe, left in mortal danger along with all the other survivors.  Moffat better resolve this plot point in the xmas special.

So for me, it was a well produced, if but a very uneven episode.  The cliffhanger brought a smile and I look forward to the Christmas episode for the final swan song.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I have said this before, but the one thing I thoroughly enjoy about Moffat's run is his devote love for Who History... his constant dropping of Easter Eggs to the Classic Series and creating continuity between the Old and the New....

Den of the Geek has a nice article discussing Moffat's cleverness clarifying the creation of the Cybermen...
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/doct...the-genius-of-making-the-cybermen-an-ideology

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not really excited like I usually am because unlike other regenerations since the show came back, I'm not expecting expecting/hoping the new person is going to be better than the last ;) .

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The favourites are Jodi Whitiiker and Kris Marshall, I've kind of always avoided shows with both of them so erm...can't decide really.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody remember Chris Marshall's little-watched 2004 comedy series 'My life in Film'? Each episode was a stylistic homage of a different film. e.g Him taking a driving-test in the style of 'Top Gun'...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 13th Doctor......

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_bSdWEYK8[/video]

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn it - I'd tried to short the market by betting on Brendan Fraser. :p

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done, BBC. Take away one of the only male heroes we had who *didn't* solve problems by violence. I *really* hope they've got more up their sleeve than "ooh she's a woman aren't we clever and edgy" otherwise Dr Who is in for a rough ride. I'm not at all convinced this was a clever move, and it smacks more of BBC grandstanding than creativity. I hope to be proved wrong!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't really see why this is a big deal.  The Doctor has been thirteen (or so!) different people with varying physical traits, ages, mores, personalities, eccentricities - even their opinions of their own former and future selves.  They're shaking up the anatomy, but everything else has been shaken up several times over already.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seriously, all the snowflakes complaining about this being a woman need to STFU. 

1) The Doctor is an alien. Your gender norms are meaningless
2) Are you really that insecure that you can't stand a woman in the role?

I am really happy the BBC did this. Not sure she Jodie would have been my first choice (really really was dreaming of Tilda), but I'm excited about all the change.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with @"matrixgrindhouse".

In the end, it's not gender casting that will save this show, it's good writing.

As entertaining as series 10 was, it felt very formula.  Doctor Who needs a desperate injection of fresh of ideas.  Hopefully, Chris Chipnall can steer this franchise in an innovative direction.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
Well done, BBC. Take away one of the only male heroes we had who *didn't* solve problems by violence. I *really* hope they've got more up their sleeve than "ooh she's a woman aren't we clever and edgy" otherwise Dr Who is in for a rough ride. I'm not at all convinced this was a clever move, and it smacks more of BBC grandstanding than creativity. I hope to be proved wrong!

It's an alien with two hearts.  It doesn't have to be male or female, it just has to be the Doctor.

Top Bottom