• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have mixed feelings as well.  It took most of his first season to warm to him.  I feel like both he and the writers were unsure of just who the Twelfth Doctor was, and the conflicting visions didn't help the matter much.  With Matt and David, we pretty much had a feel for them by the end of their debut episodes.  I straight up disliked Capaldi's Doctor until around the three or four episodes in.  But by the season finale, they finally found just the right mix of elements that endeared him to me, and ran with it up through this last pair of Christmas episodes.  I've come to like him a lot, but I don't think I'll miss him the way I missed his recent predecessors.  I'm sure the regeneration episode's going to sting, of course. 

As for Moffat - mixed feelings.  I'd say his overall run as showrunner was superior to RTD's, but there were some serious pitfalls along the way.  He wrote some of my favorite episodes of the modern series, but some of the stuff made under his supervision in recent years were pretty bad.  Things kind of bottomed out after Time of The Doctor.  There were a lot more dud episodes in the last two seasons than there had been since the early growing pains of the series relaunch.  Last season's arc was really weak - and Ashildir was an unbearable character.  We got told some interesting things about her, but witnessing her in action was no fun for me.  This year's season of Sherlock was also a big letdown in the writing department.  I think he's probably just burning out - he's had some great ideas, but we can't expect them constantly.  That said, I'm cautiously optimistic that a fresh showrunner and a new Doctor will lead to great things.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A fun fan edited video of actors who were almost cast as The Doctor...

Old TV and film clips are used to create short imaginary scenes. The Tennant and K-9 voice over is spot on.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazing recreation!!!!

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAY-tgKr52s[/video]

And hilarious twist!!!!!!!!!!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thoughts on the premiere anyone?

Liked some of it, but wasn't so keen on the road runner chase element, kind of got tiresome and faricial. I know it was designed to show off the premise of the show to someone new though. Bill was fantastic, and I loved how she described how The Doctor runs.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As an introduction to a new companion and set up for the season long mystery (the Vault), I thought it succeeded very well.

But the monster of the week felt very underwhelming to me.

One thing I do delight in about the Moffat era is his unapologetic love for the original series and always planting love letters to past continuity.   Seeing a picture of Susan on the desk beside River Song was touching, and the cameo of the Movellans was a clever idea.   During the Davis era, I was never 100% certain if I was watching a continuation series or a soft reboot.  But with Moffat, he has made it crystal clear, it has all happened, no matter how goofy or cringe worthy.  And for that I applaud him.

And for the trailer it appears we will get some more classic monsters for Capaldi's swan song...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbJqNa0_Oz0[/video]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Instantly loved the Bill character and she feels like the perfect match for Capaldi's Doctor (just basing it on this episode alone). I want 2 or 3 more series of these two together, not just one :( . For once Moffat didn't have an over complicated plot that was hard to understand. I hope the whole series is going to be based around the University and the Doctor's study. It felt like Pertwee's lab at UNIT.

Best bit was...

..when Bill tells the Doctor she has no photos of her dead mum and he (unseen) sneaks back in time, takes a few snaps and leaves them in a shoe box for Bill to find, like they've always been there. Awwww.

btw When the space-puddle spoke it sounded exactly like an Ice Warrior. Coincidence?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Meh. The first episode was okay at best... 

Bill was great, and the chemistry seems like it will be much better than it was with Clara, but the writing is still terrible. I'm hoping for some decent episodes and interaction between Capaldi's Doctor and Bill, but the "wildman with a TARDIS" schtick isn't working. Do they still not know how to write for Capaldi's Doctor? So much of it seems like a mid-life crisis or the writers not knowing what "kids like these days."  I don't think I could have groaned any louder than when the Doctor was fiddling around with his electric guitar again.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
He doesn't deny it. All the papers/geek news sites have picked this up, I think there is some truth as it's gone viral and no one has oputright denied it. 

I'd love it, before AAISAT was cast I thought it would be fun if the guy who played Hartnell in the docudrama would play the Doctor in the 50th. 4 years on it seems to be happening.

With the Masters and Cybermen Moff seems to be going all out, is this his Doctor Who bucket list? (although Mondasian Cybermen has been something Capaldi's been rooting for since he started)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, about Oxygen...

Think the blindness is temporary, or will it last until the regeneration?  Either way, I demand K9 as a seeing eye dog in the interim!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was waiting in case it was a fluke by the the first few Writers/Directors but after this new one 'Oxygen' I'm sure they have deliberately switched up the tone to be more like it was in the classic series. Namely, everybody including the companion and excepting the Doctor, is now scared when something scary is happening. The threat is actually treated as real and you know threatening, instead of a campy lark. In the classic era, even if the sets were made from cardboard and the monster was just a tall bloke in some green bubble-wrap, the characters/actors still pretended it was the scariest thing imaginable.

I was trying to think how Clara would have reacted to the situation in 'Oxygen'. Cracking jokes, almost winking at the camera, actually making sarcastic jibes at the enemy while they are trying to kill her. Where as Bill is terrified. I loved the bit where Bill was pointing this out and asking the Doctor to crack a joke to make her feel less scared. Please, please, please let this be the direction for the show from this point on.

By the way, I notice Mark Gatiss' episode is called 'The Empress of Mars' and is about "an impossible conflict between Ice Warriors and Victorian soldiers". I wonder if it's going to have an Edgar Rice Burroughs feel. @"bionicbob" ?

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Please, please, please let this be the direction for the show from this point on.

I couldn't argree more, this series of Doctor Who has been the best for ages.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
By the way, I notice Mark Gatiss' episode is called 'The Empress of Mars' and is about "an impossible conflict between Ice Warriors and Victorian soldiers". I wonder if it's going to have an Edgar Rice Burroughs feel. @"bionicbob" ?

That would be sooooooo cool if they did some sort of homage/tribute!   Red skinned metal bikini clad martian women please! LOL

tliid_doctor_who_by_nick_perks-d6y32og.jpg

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A clip of The Master in action

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm confused, has the new episode retconned Spare Parts (a Big Finish audio play which tells the origins of the Cybermen). Because it it has, I will never forgive Moffat as Spare Parts is one of the best audio plays ever made.

Top Bottom