• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Why did they create the War Doctor, when Paul McGann was available and willing to reprise his role as the 8th Doctor? No idea, especially since he was used in the short film that shows him regenerate into Hurt, which means he was around, and they were thinking of him.

I'm not sure where I read it.....but I remember somewhere Moffat had said something along the lines of he didn't think anyone would know who McGann was or remember him so they created someone new.

A Sled in Flames

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished Series 9. It was pretty good, I have to say, if a tad uneven.

For such a strong premise, the series's opening two episodes ("The Magician's Apprentice"/"The Witch's Familiar") really dropped the ball for me. Again, you have the Daleks reduced to dull, supporting villains whenever Davros is around. Furthermore, the fact that Davros and the Doctor have a close relationship in spite of being mortal enemies seems to be a horribly obvious retread of the dynamic between the Doctor and the Master (who is incidentally wasted here). But, the opening two episode's biggest problem comes from Moffat's trend as a showrunner to insist on cramming in as many different exotic planets as possible when the story would be far better served, had the pace been slowed down and the characters focused on more intently. The phrase "less is more" certainly comes to mind.

Thankfully the worst of the series is over. "Under the Lake"/"Before the Flood" was a personal favorite, being one of the more compelling base-under-siege DW stories in recent memory. The villains were frightening, and the time travel concepts were cool. This was followed by "The Girl Who Died"/"The Woman Who Lived," which introduce Maisie Williams's character. Though I doubt I would be spoiling anything for anyone reading this thread, as the episode titles pretty clearly allude to what makes her character special, I will restrain myself and simply say that the character was well drawn, with Williams turning in an excellent performance. Of these two episodes in which she first appears, the latter is the stronger, far more poetic and elegiac in the way that time travel stories can often be.

The next two-parter-- incidentally, I love that Moffat did a series full of multi-episode stories-- was a good story on the Zygons: "The Zygon Invasion"/"The Zygon Inversion." They felt far more threatening here than they did in the 50th Anniversary finale, and Capaldi's speech on war at the end of the second episode is one of the high-points of the season, really compelling stuff. "Sleep No More," the sole single-episode story, was fairly weak, with the found-footage conceit (though integrated into the story) not generating enough interest to prevent the viewers themselves from sleeping. As the opening two episodes were outright bad, this one was dull. "Face the Raven" was great, a fine way to start the season's final story, spanning three episodes: all the acting in it was universally fantastic, and the episode was simple with a brilliant conclusion.

Yet, nothing this season compares to "Heaven Sent." What an amazing episode! This is Doctor Who at its most bold. It temporary leaves the realm of science fantasy and takes its audience into far more philosophical territory, being one of the few episodes on the series that I'd unabashedly truly term "existential." It shows the Doctor at his weakest, all alone, and runs with the concept. Steven Moffat again shows us his understanding of the character by bringing the audience directly into the Doctor's headspace. We are seeing the time traveler, not filtered by the wonder of his companions, but as a clever, impossibly determined man, doggedly struggling against impossible odds. Everything about this episode from the writing to the directing to Capaldi's acting is perfect. The set decoration alone is wonderful, making visual the episode's melancholy mood. Certainly, this is one of the best episodes of the revived series! I can't remember being this emotionally stirred since Series 6's underrated: "The Girl who Waited."

I have mixed feelings on the final episode of the series: "Hell Bent." While I appreciate that Moffat defied expectations, not giving us the episode we expected, based on the trailer and the end of "Heaven Sent," I did think it skirted around many mysteries of the show that I hoped would be addressed. To discuss the episode any further would be to delve too far into spoilers. I have a feeling that reaction to this episode will vary fan-to-fan. But, for me, it didn't really work.

Overall, this series was very good. While last season suffered from an abominably weak first half, only to build to a surprisingly compelling finale, this seasons stayed pleasingly consistent, with the exception of the duds that opened it. I'd say this season really vindicates Capaldi in the role of the Doctor far more than his debut season did. The magnificent "Heaven Sent" alone acquits Capaldi in the role.

GRADE: A-

For context, here are my grades for the previous seasons of the new series.

1: A; 2: A-; 3: B-, 4: C+; 5: A; 6: A-; 7: C; 8: B

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are details on the complete ninth series DVD set, which will be released on March 7th 2016. The set will include the 2014 and 2015 Christmas specials, though the latter will also have an individual release in January.

complete-series-9-dvd-bluray-tbc.jpg

(placeholder artwork on Amazon)

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-complete-ninth-series-boxset-79094.htm

Doctor Who Extra: The Magician’s Apprentice & The Witch’s Familiar
Peter Capaldi reveals all, and shows off his guitar riffs, as we get the inside story on this stunning two-parter. Featuring additional interviews with Michelle Gomez and Steven Moffat.

Doctor Who Extra: Under the Lake & Before the Flood
Go backstage and meet some very ghastly monsters! Discover the secret of a special celebrity appearance as Paul Kaye welcomes us on location, and we reveal how to make a big splash on set. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman, writer Toby Whithouse and production designer Michael Pickwoad.

Doctor Who Extra: The Girl Who Died & The Woman Who Lived
Maisie Williams talks about crossing fandoms, celebrates her birthday with an impromptu quiz, and generally everyone has a lot of fun, as Rufus Hound gives us a unique view of what it’s like to make Doctor Who. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi and Maisie Williams.

Doctor Who Extra: The Zygon Invasion & The Zygon Inversion
The Zygons are back! We discover how a Zygon keeps fit, and Ingrid Oliver tells of her delight at once more playing the Doctor’s biggest fan, Osgood! Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Ingrid Oliver.
Doctor Who Extra: Sleep No More

Mark Gatiss reveals the story behind the horror, Reece Shearsmith reviews the importance of space glasses, and we look at the challenges of making this unique episode. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat.

Doctor Who Extra: Face the Raven
Joivan Wade (Rigsy) is shocked to be back, but he’s not the only character to return for this unforgettable adventure, as we discover the perils of thinking you are invincible. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat.
Doctor Who Extra: Heaven Sent & Hell Bent
Steven Moffat and director Rachel Talalay reveal the challenges of creating the puzzle-box that is Heaven Sent, we get wind-blown in Fuerteventura, and we witness the departure of a companion as we go on set for Jenna Coleman’s last day of filming. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman, Steven Moffat and Rachel Talalay.

Doctor Who Extra: The Husbands of River Song
Matt Lucas is our guide as we join River Song, the Doctor and a star-liner full of supervillains for this festive Christmas special. We get the heads-up on the Hydroflax from Greg Davies, reveal Alex Kingston’s favourite Sonic, and we find out what Peter Capaldi is getting for Christmas. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Alex Kingston, and Steven Moffat.

Doctor Who Documentaries
Writing Who
The definitive guide for a would-be Doctor Who scriptwriter. We follow Sarah Dollard on her intricate journey to create her episode, Trap Street. From the highs of pitching her original idea to Steven Moffat, to the challenges of writing her first draft – faced with a blank page and typing Int. TARDIS Day – to seeing her episode becoming reality.

Dalek Devotion
Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat reveal the inspiration for the return of the Daleks to the incredible season opener of series 9, how their earliest memories have shaped their devotion to the ultimate killing machine, and the journey to the Dalek homeland of Skaro.

The Adventures of River Song
Join Alex Kingston and Steven Moffat as we look forward to River’s return in The Husbands of River Song. Find out how River’s character came to be created, why Alex just had to play the role, what happened when the cast discovered who River really is. Narrated by Nina Toussaint-White.

Doctor Who: Sublime Online
A video selection box of the funniest, most insightful and engaging online treats from behind the scenes of Series 9. With interviews and magical moments from Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat, and featuring a host of guest stars, including Maisie Williams, Michelle Gomez, Rufus Hound, Ingrid Oliver and Slipknot.

Clara’s Journey
In 2012, Jenna Coleman joined Doctor Who and took her place in television history as the Doctor’s newest companion, Clara Oswald. Having become the longest serving companion since the revival of the show, Clara’s time on the TARDIS has now come to an end, so we can now look back at just what made the Impossible Girl, well, possible. Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman. Narrated by Colin McFarlane.

The Fan Show’s Finest
Christel Dee gives a whistle-stop guide to Doctor Who: The Fan Show the online series that celebrates Doctor Who and the amazing creativity of the show’s fans. We get a peek inside Steven Moffat’s writing lair, take a look into the Old Monster’s Retirement Home and step into the amazing world of Minecraft to find out how fans are celebrating their love for the show online. We even get face to face with the Doctor and Missy to ask them all the questions the fans want to know.

Peter Capaldi fans will be disappointed to learn that the cover for Amazing Spider-Man#5, which featured the likenesses of both Capaldi and the cast of his political comedy The Thick of It, has been altered slightly after Marvel could not get the all-clear to go ahead with the cover. It's suspected that Titan Comics, which produce books with Capaldi's likeness, may have had something to do with it.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12...moved-from-the-cover-of-amazing-spider-man-5/

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Peter Capaldi fans will be disappointed to learn that the cover for Amazing Spider-Man#5, which featured the likenesses of both Capaldi and the cast of his political comedy The Thick of It, has been altered slightly after Marvel could not get the all-clear to go ahead with the cover.

Too late to put the kibosh on Capaldi's likeness featuring in Alan Moore's 2012 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' comic...

1564030464-tucker-the-fucker.jpeg

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was an alright-ish special.

Very creative aliens, and the Doctor "reacting" to the TARDIS being inside out was overacted to the extreme much to my delight. The bit where River's talking about The Doctor as a sunset that does'nt give you affection back was heartbreaking, but her slow realization of who was in front of her mended such feels. We finally see the singing towers, and they spend 24 years together in a night at the climax (not 26? Not even as a classic series nod?) The only drawback I feel is Greg Davies and Lucas felt a bit wasted, but other than that, fine.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought that the special was excellent. I still haven't had a chance to see episodes 9 thru 12, but my family wanted to watch the Christmas special on the actual holiday. Much of what happens has already been spoiled for me by Facebook, and there wasn't much in the way of spoilers for them in this episode's script.

The special started well; then I was getting frustrated by the things River was saying in the middle section of the episode (but that was probably an intentional Moffatian misdirect); and then the finale brought all the good feels back.

dadoctorwhofan

Reaction score
Trophy Points

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Moffat will step down after the next series, but it won't be airing this year, instead it'll be moved up to Spring 2017

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...eplaced-by-broadchurch-creator-chris-chibnall

Chris Chibnall is replacing Moffat. He's best known for showrunning Torchwood, and creating Broadchurch

Man I got caught up reading the comments. I hate reading comment sections of Doctor Who fans. And I'm a huge fan! They'll fight about/hate on anything!

I think it'll be fine. I bet Moffat is tired. I'm not super happy about the wait but it's nothing new. I just hope the new season is like 8 or 9 instead of like 7.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dadoctorwhofan said:
Well I'm happy. You forgot to mention he wrote 2 of the best episodes of Life on Mars.

That's because I've never seen his LOM episodes;-)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! A huge tremor in the Force ... um ... Whoniverse!

I seem to like Moffat's writing more than most people, but I'm OK with this. This show thrives on change, and it's always interesting to see what a new show runner will do with the mythology.

In fact, ironically Moffat's departure will probably make people like his writing more, since there's always nostalgia for whatever version of the show goes away. There were a lot of fans harping on Russell T Davies' run on the show from 2005-2009, who then promptly started ragging on Moffat as soon as he took over and asking why things couldn't be more like they were in RTD's day.

(Mind you, that's not every fan. And certainly Moffat isn't perfect. The 2011 season was pretty incoherent, and the non-50th anniversary episodes in 2013 were pretty dull. I'm not saying it's never okay for one to say that they don't like Moffat's writing. I'm specifically thinking of people in forums I no longer visit, and on podcasts I no longer listen to, whose default position is that whatever is new is automatically bad.)

It was hard guessing who would ever take over if Moffat left. When RTD was in charge, Moffat was winning all the awards for writing on the show. Since Moffat took over, he's still been the one winning all the awards. The exception was Neil Gaiman for "The Doctor's Wife," but no one liked his follow-up "Nightmare in Silver" nearly as much, and at any rate, Gaiman has no experience running a TV show.

Mark Gatiss has actually worked side by side with Moffat for years, co-producing "Sherlock" with him, but Gatiss' DW episodes have not been among the best. His most recent, "Sleep No More," is one of the lowest-rated episodes of the entire modern series.

I don't see a whole lot of classics in the list of episodes that Chris Chibnall wrote, but there aren't really a lot of clunkers either. I like most of them. Chibnall also wrote a lot of episodes of "Torchwood"; while I don't like that show very much, he wrote some of my favorite stuff that was on it.

Also, he wrote the beautiful "P.S.," which caps Rory and Amy's time on the show, and is one of my favorite DW things ever.

And even though Chibnall hasn't won any awards for DW writing, he has won awards for his police drama "Broadchurch" (which has featured many DW alumni). So that, plus his overall TV producing experience, plus the fact that he's a lifelong Doctor Who fan -- yeah, I'm on board with this.

I'm not so happy about having to wait another full stinkin' year for new episodes, but hey, the BBC didn't ask me. :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow I saw these 3 new "HMV Exclusive" boxsets in town today...

dvdsets.jpg

Each has 3 classic era DVDs (Packed with the usual extras and familiar artwork) for only £9.99. You sometimes pay £9.99 for just one Who DVD! Excellent value to introduce fans to the classic era. Annoyingly for me, I already own one story from each boxset :x but probably good for others. They haven't been stingy either, each set has 3 of the very best serials from each Timelord...

Spearhead From Space
The Dæmons
The Time Warrior

Robot
Genesis of the Daleks
Pyramid of Mars

Castrovalva
Earthshock
The Caves of Androzani

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Pearl Mackie as new companion Bill

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

Pearl Mackie as new companion Bill

Whoa! This must of been filmed months ago but Bill is wearing a Prince tribute T-Shirt. Well that settles it, The Doctor is real and has seen our futures.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Prince was sacrificed to make this video possible. The Doctor is part of the Illluminati! ;)

That'd explain all those eyepatches in series six anyway..

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks awesome. I really like the style of these animations from previous releases... however it had better be in 4:3 and not 16:9 like that trailer. That would be sacrilegious.

Top Bottom