• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Not opening this thread isn't even enough to avoid spoilers.

Agreed. Not cool, man. That's what spoiler tags are for!

I wasn't overly surprised at what happened. My friend kind of spoiled it for me before I saw it. He didn't say as much, but he's not been a fan of Clara since her very first appearance, so when he said Moffat gave him the best birthday present he could have asked for, that clued me in on what happened.

I enjoyed the episode, as I've been enjoying all season. Peter Capaldi is terrifying when he gets angry (in character). Ashildr had better watch out!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I deleted the spoiler from the post... After being spoiled. Thanks a lot BTW... I just love when people ruin my favorite shows :| note the sarcasm.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And this is why I only come here after watching the latest episodes (and unfollow all the associated Doctor Who social media during the season).

My thoughts:
I enjoyed the latest episode overall, though I wasn't at all surprised at the ending especially considering I stupidly watched the trailer for it the spoiled "be brave" moment of her death. However, I thought Steven Moffat had distinctly said the ending would be unexpected, and yet as soon as she took the chronolock I knew exactly how it was going to end. But, I did enjoy how her death wasn't the result of some "epic battle to save time" or something to that effect. In real life, death often happens out of nowhere. Clara died becuase of her own weakness of feeling invincible around the doctor, gaining adrenaline from just barely escaping. Really interested to see how the last two episodes turn out and what they'll involve.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
And this is why I only come here after watching the latest episodes (and unfollow all the associated Doctor Who social media during the season).

My thoughts:
I enjoyed the latest episode overall, though I wasn't at all surprised at the ending especially considering I stupidly watched the trailer for it the spoiled "be brave" moment of her death. However, I thought Steven Moffat had distinctly said the ending would be unexpected, and yet as soon as she took the chronolock I knew exactly how it was going to end. But, I did enjoy how her death wasn't the result of some "epic battle to save time" or something to that effect. In real life, death often happens out of nowhere. Clara died becuase of her own weakness of feeling invincible around the doctor, gaining adrenaline from just barely escaping. Really interested to see how the last two episodes turn out and what they'll involve.

Well, for what it's worth, by "unexpected" he might be meaning this (click only if you want spoilers)

Jenna is scheduled to appear one more time in episode 12 as Clara, as she was seen filming scenes at a diner in a waitress outfit. Whether or not that means it's the real Clara or if it's an echo of her from season seven is unknown (it'd make sense to book-end her story with one since we were introduced to her as Oswin), but there is clearly more to her fate than meets the eye.

I know more offficial stuff about the finale since I read the BBC's official synopsises, but won't share them here for the sake of surprise.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Wow am I the only one that absolutely hated Sleep No More? My wife and I agree it was easily the worst NuWho we've seen yet (don't throw stones at me please).

I haven't seen it yet myself, but you're certainly not the only one. While the rest of the episodes of the season have been getting 8's and 9's out of a possible 10 on IMDB, "Sleep No More" got a 6.5!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4787004/?ref_=tt_eps_pr_n

Again, I'm not expressing a personal opinion because I haven't seen it -- just observing what the consensus seems to be.

As for spoilers, a news site in my Facebook feed blabbed the information about Saturday's episode on Thursday. Grr. A Doctor Who FB group actually locked their page for new posts on Saturday afternoon so that no one could post (and give anything away) for several hours after the episode aired.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Decent episode. Although a tad overhyped and predictable from the beginning if you're accustomed to Moffat's ways by now, and the cliffhanger was spoiled weeks ago by advance official BBC summaries.

Wish there had been more confessions other than the arc-heavy stuff. And the "hybrid is ME" bit could well be misdrection and he means Ashildr

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Upon first viewing, Heaven Sent, reeled me in and kept me riveted. Once again, Capaldi is utterly brilliant.

Though afterwards, certain questions occurred to me....

--why doesn't the diamond reset its self along with the rest of the castle?
--where did the first set of Doctor's clothes come from? Unless the Doctor ran around naked the first time he arrived? lol
--if this whole episode takes place inside the Doctor's own Confession Dial, why does he not know it/recognize it? I was under the impression it was sort of his Last Will and Testament? Unless that was misdirection? Is the Dial some sort of final testing device given to Time Lords to be used only in the gravest of circumstance? Hopefully some explanation will be offered next ep.
--The Hybrid -- could this be acknowledgement of the Paul McGann plot point of the Doctor's true heritage?

With the exception of the Sleep Monster, this for me has been Moffat's best Doctor Who season since Smith's fifth season debut. Only one more episode to wrap up season 9, and then the xmas special featuring the return of River Song.

...oh don't watch unless you have watched Heaven Sent --"SPOILERS" :D
Season Finale "Hell Bent":

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please let this not be just a joke... although it was a very good joke! :D

Also about the series finale...

I really hope Gallifrey is properly coming back for good. I want to see the Time Lords trying to boss Capaldi's Doctor around and sending him on time-missions and then him throwing his toys (Yo-Yos, penny-whistles, spoons etc) out of the Tardis :p.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heaven Sent easily became one of my very favorite episodes right away. So atmospheric and creepy. Even the few head scratchers only arise out of enjoyment.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 2015 BBC Christmas trailer, with some clips from Doctor Who's offering this year

The christmas special is titled

The Husbands of River Song

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thoughts on "Hell Bent"

Amdist all the theories about The Hybrid, I like to headcanon that it will turn out to be Clara and Ashildr rather than Clara and The Doctor..sort of trading in one interpretation for another, but it will always stalk the universe, I like the idea of it being born from the end of time to ultimately unsettle everything across time and space...maybe it's the angsty fan in me, I don't know. Maybe the Hybrid is Twelve's "Trenzalore" and will be resolved when Capaldi steps off, we'll see

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So series nine comes to a close with "Hell Bent", and I must admit, I feel thoroughly satisfied.

Moffat's season long misdirection was very clever imo and pays off well compared to previous seasons. I absolutely loved that series nine concludes not with an epic save the universe again from the Daleks or Cybermen, but on a very emotionally personal story about dealing (or not dealing in this instance) with grief and loss.

The Hybrid prophecy is fulfilled and yet is completely open to interpretation to the fans. Was the Hybrid the Doctor? Me? Clara and the Doctor together? All three theories work and I actually like there is no definitive answer given.

I loved Clara and I am going to miss her. But I thought this send off was wonderful and perfect. I have read online there is a lot disbelief that the Doctor would go to such great lengths for Clara, when many fans feel he had closer/better relationships with other companions or the fact he never attempted to change time to save other companions from a fixed death. Though my feeling is Clara is unique as she was "created" to save the Doctor, she is the Impossible Girl and eternally intertwined with the Doctor's timeline. The Doctor as we know him would not exist if not Clara. Clara is a part of the Doctor, so I can understand the Doctor's mad drive to save her, even if it means breaking all his own rules. And having Clara fly off with her own TARDIS and companion just made me smile.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have to say the wife and I were disappointed with this season finale.

We weren't big fans of Clara to begin with, but her noble death a few episodes back was truly beautiful and I wish they had left it that way. At first I was worried they were going to do a repeat of Donna and have him wipe her memory, so, glad they at least didn't do that. It bothers me that Clara gets to have her own TARDIS and Me didn't seem exactly like a worthy person who gets to fly off and have the joys of time traveling.

Gallifrey was wasted in this episode too. I thought it would've been better had the Doctor pulled Clara from her death because they needed her for something that had to do with saving Gallifrey and then the big ending is her wanting to go back and die because she would rather that than having to forget about the Doctor or the Doctor actually accepting he couldn't save her at all. Clara's ending was a total cop out. Although, it would've been awesome if she took a detour to see Danny Pink one last time before accepting her fate with the raven.

How does she know about the Amy and Rory diner?

Me felt tacked on in this episode as well.

Another missed opportunity by Moffat to work Susan into the mix. I hoped it would be Susan who was the hybrid and that's why the Doctor ran so many years ago.

All in all I LOVED this season, but the ending felt like a big letdown. It's not that I wanted to see some big universe saving epic, just something that didn't feel like a cop out for almost killing Clara off.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
I have to say the wife and I were disappointed with this season finale.

How does she know about the Amy and Rory diner?

She does now. That's why the diner ends up where it is in The Impossible Astronaut, to ensure things go their natural course. Timey Whimey

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting viewpoints on this series. I actually finally gave up on the show after the initial opening 2 parter of the season. I've watched the show ever since the late 1970's, but Moffatt is the producer who finally killed it for me. Glad to see others enjoy it, but I fear I will not return to the show until Moffatt finally leaves.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh my god, I loved loved loved it!
So, elephants in the room:

Clara lives! For a while at least, and gets her own Tardis to boot! I thought for sure they were going to make us watch her die again and that the Clara in the diner was another copy left over from 2 seasons ago. That would have been fine but this is so much more fun!

Lots of information added about the Doctor, including the First Doctor. He was never right in the head again!

Did he just say he stole the president's daughter, as in his granddaughter was actually the daughter of Rassilon and thus Rassilon is his son?! Holy shit!

And was it not implied that his mother is indeed half human? In the same episode that brought back the Sisterhood of Karn, whom we last saw with the eighth Doctor?

New sonic screwdriver, perfect!

Gallifrey is back, baby! We need a hundred more episodes with these characters. He killed a guy because he knew the guy would regenerate, and the regenerated body is a woman! Awesome. I firmly believe the next incarnation of the Doctor will be a woman, they've fully primed the audience for this, mark my words.

After a clunker of Season 7, and a return to form in Season 8 (my opinion, of course), and despite some weak episodes in the middle of this Season 9, I think that was quite possibly one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, fanboy feelings! So many emotions!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Interesting viewpoints on this series. I actually finally gave up on the show after the initial opening 2 parter of the season. I've watched the show ever since the late 1970's, but Moffatt is the producer who finally killed it for me. Glad to see others enjoy it, but I fear I will not return to the show until Moffatt finally leaves.

He was apparently set to leave this year, but changed his mind after looking at the BBC's five year plan for the show. There's no guarantee he'll stay that long of course

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Hell Bent is one of the worst Doctor Who episodes ever! Here is my list per Doctor

1: The Web Planet

2: The Space Pirates

3: Frontier In Space

4: The Horns Of Nimon

5: Warriors Of The Deep

6: The Twin Dilemma

7: Time And The Rani

8: The TV Movie

9: Boom Town

10: Love and Monsters

11: Asylum Of The Daleks

12: Hell Bent

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
She does now. That's why the diner ends up where it is in The Impossible Astronaut, to ensure things go their natural course. Timey Whimey

But he said something to the effect that it was in the wrong place. Something like "wasn't this located on the other side of that hill." I get the timey whimey, but that doesn't make sense even with timey whimey.

Top Bottom