• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Here's some behind the scenes info....

Has anyone watched any of the other DW independent spin-offs?
The Autons?
Shakedown?
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Hey Bob,

I've seen quite a few of them back when they first came out. The Auton series of fan films was pretty decent... Shakedown was OK, but some of the acting was dodgy to say the least. Downtime was fun, but again suffered from inconsistent acting and a lacklustre script. Dont expect them to be up to the standard of actual Who episodes ... That way you will enjoy them more.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tend to agree about Downtime, both the good and the bad, but Nicholas Courtney was so good (as always) as the Brig that it forgives a multitude of shortcomings.

I really rather liked Mindgame and its sequel, Mindgames Trilogy. This may be because I had just seen The Time Warrior and Frontier in Space as part of my attempt to watch all of Pertwee's episodes (still have the last few of Planet of the Spiders to go), and the independent releases both feature a Sontaran and a Draconian (and Sophie Aldred as a human pilot who is very strongly implied to be Ace).

I think the Draconians would make a good race to pop up again in the new era -- very underexplored with lots of potential, almost a cross between Romulans and Klingons in their ethics and code of honor.

And the Sontaran, while woefully dim in Mindgame, is considerably more interesting in Mindgames, and I think his characterization is a good bridge between classic Who and NuWho Sontarans.

I don't think either of these is "classic," necessarily, but they're better than they deserve to be given the budget, particularly from the commitment each of the actors brings and some better-than-average dialogue from veteran Doctor Who screenwriter Terrance Dicks.

MG.jpg

mindgame.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very interesting! Now I want to watch these lost gems even more. I think most of them are on Youtube.

How about the series P.R.O.B.E. ? Looking it up online, apparently it was written by Mark Gatiss?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't know if people have seen/remember these Mark Gatiss Who sketches from 1999's 'Doctor Who Night' but they're well worth a watch (Especially the 3rd one)...

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Downtime a while back. The script was kind of muddled, but (as others have noted) it's great to see familiar old faces back, like the Brig, Sarah Jane, and (not mentioned as much) Victoria Waterfield and Prof. Travers, plus the now-canon introduction of Kate Lethbridge-Stewart.

I'm glad that Doctor Who is popular enough now to warrant new video releases of little odd gems like this!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After the high watermark of Series 8... sadly S9 so far has ranged from weak to awful IMO. But good-gravy, this evening's episode 6 has to be one of the best Who episodes ever! :)

It was mostly just two "sort of immortal" beings talking to each other about life, death and loss. Maisie Williams' performance was outstanding, as was Rufus Hound's turn (I usually can't stand the guy) and both played it so beautifully tragic. I almost had a tear in my eye when The Doctor and Clara hugged at the end, after the emotional stuff he'd been through. I hope we see more Maisie Williams in future Who episodes.

She will be in at least one future episode. Yay!

Please BBC, commision Catherine Tregenna to write more episodes like this... and Steven Moffat to never write anymore ;-).

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
After the high watermark of Series 8... sadly S9 so far has ranged from weak to awful IMO.

The range of opinions is fascinating to me. I really (really) disliked series 8, but I have been enjoying series 9 so far.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
The range of opinions is fascinating to me. I really (really) disliked series 8, but I have been enjoying series 9 so far.
Doing multiple two part stories has helped immensely. There's no reason to rush, and the extra time has allowed for some good characters to grow.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. My wife and I are enjoying the Doctor again as opposed to last year which felt a little bit like a chore after a while.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ten and Donna! Haven't purchased any of the Big Finish audio dramas yet, but this does sound quite tempting. Vol 1 coming out May 2016.
[video=youtube_share;NtKUfubkQyQ]
And Donna is easily in my top 3 nu-who companions.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, very exciting! Big Finish only just recently got to start using modern Companions, etc. It's great that they now get to use a post-2005 Doctor. (Well, they also used the War Doctor, but you know what I mean.) Hopefully, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi will one day follow suit.

I think my two favorite Doctors are Jon Pertwee and Matt Smith, because they encompass the two extremes of the portrayal of the Doctor. But then I watch a Tennant episode, with his boundless enthusiasm for the role, and I remember again why people often say that he's their favorite. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The last two episodes have been on top form :) (especially 'Sleep No More'). Fingers crossed that the last two will maintain this standard of writing and direction.

mightymeyer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The last two episodes have been on top form :) (especially 'Sleep No More'). Fingers crossed that the last two will maintain this standard of writing and direction.

Same here, dude.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow am I the only one that absolutely hated Sleep No More? My wife and I agree it was easily the worst NuWho we've seen yet (don't throw stones at me please).

We couldn't understand what the hell was going on and by the end we felt it was just a waste and anti-climatic. Plus the quick cuts were a bit bothersome since surprisingly that's never bothered me before in films and tv shows.

Other than that, this season has been STELLAR and these 2 parters should be the new norm because I'm seeing some great stories and Capaldi really has grown into being The Doctor. He loves playing the role and he transmits that in his portrayal.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am in complete agreement, Sleep No More did not work for me either on any level. Monsters created by the sleep from out eye ducts???? Even for Doctor Who that is pushing it.

On the other hand, Capaldi's impassioned speech for peace in the last act of the Zygon Inversion was riveting brilliance and any doubts I may still have had were forever erased. Truly one of the best Doctor Who scenes ever imo.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it was the best episode of the season so far (except maybe last night's episode which I'm watching right now) but it wasn't as good as past seasons. I couldn't stand the shaky-cam, though. I ended up looking away from the screen for most of the episode.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved yesterday's episode. I hated sleep no more as well because I found the found footage aspect UN-watchable!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2886f35e7dc8e6957b798ae36dbae95f.jpg
[

Not opening this thread isn't even enough to avoid spoilers.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That found footage episode is just screaming for the Benny Hill theme

Myre's proper revenge.

Top Bottom