• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Par for the course, and by that I mean Doctor 12 still feels refreshing and different just like last season. Other than Danny's death, I thought last season was a huge improvement over season 7, and the first episode of 9 seems to be continuing the fresh feel and imaginative reach and I can't wait for the next one.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched yet, and I may wait until next week to watch the two-parter. My expectations are low. I thought the past season was a huge drop from the previous.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked it a lot. Season 7 was really bad IMO and season 8 had a couple of good ones, but the Doctor wasn't very likable. Right away I felt hooked during this seasons opener and am really excited for the conclusion to part 1 and the rest of the season.

On a side note, breakfast with Baker is a cool idea and a nice way to see some of his adventures that aren't available on Netflix streaming. It's always this time of year that I get the itch to do some DW fanediting!

dadoctorwhofan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved the new episode. It had everything a Doctor Who episode needed. The return of old characters and places to please the classic fans. The return of the Judoon and and the ood and the shadow proclamation to please the RTD fans. And new stuff to please everyone. Missy was much better than in series 8 and that cliffhanger.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Geez, I really must be watching a different show

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It says something how polarizing this show has gotten. Thanks Moff! At least with RTD you knew you would get some epic stuff with anti-climatic endings, but with Moff I never know what the hell is going to happen next as he does whatever he wants with the show.

Again though, I did enjoy the premiere immensely.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
the comment of three different Atlantis locations made me very curious.... any help on that one for me my hardcore Whovians?

This was a terrific in-joke. In the early days, the show's producers didn't really pay attention to whether or not a certain story had been done before, leading to three different "destruction of Atlantis" stories that all contradict each other!

It's a comment that went by quick enough so that most people wouldn't think long and hard about it, but a great joke for those who know the behind-the-scenes stuff.

bionicbob said:
The whole rock guitar and tank scene... I dunno... wacky for wacky's sake? Who drove the tank out? Is the tank still there?

And how did he get the tank through the TARDIS doors? Yes, it's very big inside, but how did he get the tank through the outside of the TARDIS? It bugged me that there was no explanation for that. Maybe he can still make the TARDIS much bigger, the way he made it smaller in "Flatline"? *shrug*

The scene was kind of clever in concept, but the jokes weren't as strong as they should have been.

bionicbob said:
Davros looked amazing! Best version thus far.

Yes, and the performance was chilling but understated. My favorite Davros episode ever. And I agree with you that this was a much better opening than "Deep Breath."

I love the thorny ethical question at the heart of this episode. "Genesis of the Daleks" raised some interesting questions but then (IMO) never really developed them. This one looks like it'll get to the heart of the issue.

I really wanted to see more of the story about the world that young Davros was on. The whole thing with hands coming out of the ground seemed really intriguing, but it seems like it won't be developed further. Still, the story that we did get was an interesting one.

It seems like the Doctor was looking back on his previous encounter with young Davros and feeling guilty -- but then the ending scene seemed to indicate that the incident might have happened after Davros killed the Doctor's friends, in retaliation for it. (That is, at least the Doctor believes that his friends have been killed.) Or maybe he left the scene ages earlier, but then came back after his friends' "deaths"? What if Davros looks the way he does (wheelchair-bound and all) because the Doctor shoots him as a child, crippling him for life?

I really hope it's explained why the Doctor would choose to send his will to Missy rather than Clara. If Missy is still killing people in cold blood for no reason other than to amuse herself, how can the Doctor in any way consider her a friend?

Still, overall a very exciting episode. After some lame previews that left me cold, the season itself is off to a great start!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
It says something how polarizing this show has gotten. Thanks Moff! At least with RTD you knew you would get some epic stuff with anti-climatic endings, but with Moff I never know what the hell is going to happen next as he does whatever he wants with the show.

Isn't it much better for the show to be unpredictable, though? Why complain that a show isn't more formulaic? :)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man the part 2 of this hit me hard. Missy made the Daleks more disturbing than they ever could themselves with lines like "Say 'I love you', no questions, just say it" and the results of that. Davros felt sympathetic, dare I say humanized, and I understood his goals beyond just 'aaah he's evil, whatever'. The threads left open from part 1 were wrapped up in an interesting way and continued to the point where I was very satisfied. After watching, my wife and I had a short chat (she's not a fan of Doctor Who overall) about what is different in the show and whether it's better or worse, since Capaldi has joined. She said it's 'more profound, more serious'. I think I agree, and I think I love it. Smith was ok as the Doctor, but I never really embraced him like I did Tennant or like I'm doing so now with Capaldi.

dadoctorwhofan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My thoughts on under the lake. Very very good, very refreshing to have a good base under siege story. The cliffhanger was good as yes we got another the doctor is dead revelations but what intrigues me is how he got to that point.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'll start avoiding this thread until I'm 100% current.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I think I'll start avoiding this thread until I'm 100% current.

Probably a good idea. Though this may be a good place and time to remind people posting there is such thing as a spoiler tag.

See?

Sigh, I should probably use them more too, specifically to avoid ruining stuff for peeps.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is some cool dvd news!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10...ctor-who-spinoff-downtime-gets-a-dvd-release/

So apparently the copyright laws in the UK is very convoluted, and while the BBC owns Doctor Who directly, they do not own many of the supporting character/concepts? So this has allowed fans to create their own spin-off projects, many times using the original actors reprising their DW roles.

One such project was called DOWNTIME. Made 20 years ago it stars the Brigidier and Sarah Jane and the Abdominable Snowman!

Never heard of this before but it sounds like awesome retro fun! I hope it receives a North American release. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
One such project was called DOWNTIME. Made 20 years ago it stars the Brigidier and Sarah Jane and the Abdominable Snowman!

Looks decent.

David-J-Howe-Nicholas-Courtney-in-Downtime-600x906.jpg

^ Caption competition?

dadoctorwhofan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Here is some cool dvd news!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10...ctor-who-spinoff-downtime-gets-a-dvd-release/

So apparently the copyright laws in the UK is very convoluted, and while the BBC owns Doctor Who directly, they do not own many of the supporting character/concepts? So this has allowed fans to create their own spin-off projects, many times using the original actors reprising their DW roles.

Never heard of this before but it sounds like awesome retro fun! I hope it receives a North American release. :)

Pre Ordered

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's some behind the scenes info....

Has anyone watched any of the other DW independent spin-offs?
The Autons?
Shakedown?
Any thoughts or recommendations?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, so I watched latest adventure, "The Girl Who Died"....

I thought the first 3/4s was "meh", while the last act had some strong emotional strokes but....

It still does not make sense to me why he chose that particular face? I mean over thousand years of exploits passed between that adventure and his last regeneration? There was a lot of heartache and lost lives between then. But I thought it was an interesting addition to the lore that a Time Lord can choose his regeneration form.

The whole hybrid story does not work at all for me or at least how Moffatt went about it.... if such healing/immortal technology already exists in the universe, why doesn't everyone use it? Why all the all megalomaniac villains seeking immortality? Why didn't Cassandra (skin lady) use it? It makes absolutely no sense to me within the established canon or rules of the established Whoverse as I know it. It would be different if this was unique alien tech, but the way the Doctor described it, is sounds very common place...

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
It still does not make sense to me why he chose that particular face? I mean over thousand years of exploits passed between that adventure and his last regeneration? There was a lot of heartache and lost lives between then. But I thought it was an interesting addition to the lore that a Time Lord can choose his regeneration form.

The second doctor was allowed to choose his face in The War games! So it was nothing new (And as a side note, I don't really like The War Games, not bad, just OK and disappointing.).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
The second doctor was allowed to choose his face in The War games! So it was nothing new (And as a side note, I don't really like The War Games, not bad, just OK and disappointing.).

I did not know that.. lol. Never seen War Games, its on the long list of classic Who I need to watch.... sigh...

Speaking of, I just order The Web of Fear and The Ice Warrior. I wish The Invasion was still in print for Region One. DW region one dvds are soooooo expensive already, and as soon as they go out of print their price sky rockets. The Invasion, Battlefield, The Two Doctors (all on my must want list lol) are all a couple hundred dollars each! Craziness.:-o:D

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I did not know that.. lol. Never seen War Games, its on the long list of classic Who I need to watch.... sigh...

You might need a few days because it's 10x25 episodes! The Whoflix version is better, at 3x45 episodes!

Top Bottom