• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm thinking of buying some of Big Finish's recent Virgin novel adaptations in preparation for the release of RTD's "Damaged Goods", should I start with the Fourth Doctor and Romana II ones?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tardis.jpg

Found my 1988 Dapol Tardis ^ in a box in the garage :). Still in damn good nick and when I put in a couple of batteries was suprised that the light on the top still worked. Now if I could just find my 1982 Dekker Tardis playhouse...

5199_m.jpg

...I can still almost smell the strong plastic and adhesive of the thing when I was inside it travelling the universe. It was probably made out of arsenic and asbestos in those days :-D.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm envious of that mate, I never had a Dapol TARDIS, but my dad went and made me a custom one at his work (he painted it black though...strange, 'cause he is'nt exactly color blind), recently opened it two weeks back to find my Dapol Seventh and Ace figures in there...plus miniature Ninja Turtles.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Got to admit, this looks pretty cool!
[video=youtube_share;DNEjx6XUbfQ]

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Michelle Gomez revealing she's back as Missy

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Outstanding work (re: the dematerialization)!

Here's a video made to celebrate 10 years since the revival, which -- I think we can safely say at this point -- has been wildly successful. Kudos to the editor on this!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This genius fan editor has crafted a Series 9 opening as though it were from the 1930s:

Hero

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Was Series 8 any good? I have a Who itch that I'd like to know if it's worth to scratch.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hero said:
Was Series 8 any good? I have a Who itch that I'd like to know if it's worth to scratch.

It has it's moments (Listen, Time Heist, Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline) and some read nadir value stuff (Robot of Sherwood, The Caretaker, Kill The Moon, In The Forest of the Night), a game of two halves really, a lottery like many other series.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hero said:

Though subjective it may be, I feel like I can't really answer that question well without context.
To me series 1-4 were pretty consistently good (enough to make me a fan), 5 felt totally new and different, 6 seemed like a natural extension of 5 until they couldn't deliver the payoff for all the setup they did, then 7 was kind of a mess, only getting better for the "Of the Doctor" trilogy at the end. To me, after a disappointing 7, Series 8 was like a triumphant return to form. It's really really good again, the new Doctor really gets comfortable and the show once again feels totally new and different. While there are minor quibbles about plot points and "if I were in charge I would have done a few things differently" attitudes, ultimately I don't think the BBC can realistically be expected to do any better. Just my opinion, but Series 8 is in top form.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
It has it's moments (Listen, Time Heist, Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline) and some read nadir value stuff (Robot of Sherwood, The Caretaker, Kill The Moon, In The Forest of the Night), a game of two halves really, a lottery like many other series.

Robot of Sherwood and In The Forest of the Night were two of the highlights IMO. Kill The Moon made no sense but it had it's moments and The Caretaker was a lot of fun. 8 was the strongest series since series -1.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough T, I'm mainly going on what other forums were moaning or raving about. I quite liked bits of Sherwood.

Hero

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll check this out, I've been meaning to but it's DW, it's probably going to be okay. I'll definitely pay attention to the episodes mentioned.

scotthall

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started Doctor Who with series 5, Matt Smith. Then I stopped watching just before Day of the Doctor. Now I'm watching series 1 (of "NuWho") with Eccleston. I'm weird, I know.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hero said:

Sorry, I'm a few days late; I know others have responded, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

From your statement, it's unclear if you've ever watched Doctor Who before. If you're curious about the show and want to scratch your Who itch for the first time, I wouldn't recommend starting with the modern series, season 8. While I found it very satisfying, many found it too dark and the Doctor too abrasive. (I think he was written that way on purpose. What's open for debate is whether the experiment or its results were effective.)

If you want to experience Doctor Who for the first time via DVD or a streaming service, I would recommend starting with the 2005 launch, and the episode "Rose." Just about everyone likes Christopher Eccleston's portrayal of the Doctor, and everything that you need to know about the overarching mythos is explained as you go along.

If this isn't your first time, if you've already experienced Doctor Who and like it, then definitely watch new Season 8. You'll either really enjoy it, as I did, or it'll make a great conversation piece. :)

Hope this helps!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I'm in the minority here in that I didn't really like Series 8 or Capaldi's rendition of the Doctor. I don't think he had a great connection with Clara, and it felt like they couldn't quite find the tone they were looking for. I liked the idea of a Capaldi's version, but I think it was executed poorly (not necessarily Capaldi's fault).

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think you're in the minority. I know a lot of people who didn't like Season 8 or the darker characterization of the Doctor. That's why I said that Hero shouldn't start with that one. It pretty much divides fandom right down the middle, from what I can tell.

Taken as a whole, with a particularly satisfying finale (IMHO), I enjoyed it. But I wouldn't recommend that anyone start there as their first exposure to Doctor Who.

Top Bottom