• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When you're thinking of a costume for Halloween, you probably don't usually think of dressing as your dad. But if you're Sean Pertwee and your dad was the Third Doctor, that's exactly what you do.

Sean_Pertwee_as_the_Third_Doctor_for_Halloween_2.png

(Yes, this does appear to be legit; I just adjusted it a bit to bring out some of the detail. Shame about the graininess of the original JPG.)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
The bureaucrat in the Nethersphere - didn't catch his name - stole the show for me. Hope we get to see more of him next week

addison.jpeg

Amusingly he was played by Capaldi's co-star from 'The Thick Of It', comedian Chris Addison.

Peter-Capaldi-and-Chris-A-008.jpg

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who needs to find Gallifrey now? Just have Doc and Missy breed like rabbits and please lots of fangirl 'fic writers

"My heart is maintained by the Doctor....DOCTOR CHANG!" is my line of the episode

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Death In Heaven:

What an episode. What an amazing episode. They nailed it. The plot, the tone, the shocking moments, the heartfelt moments, the sorrow and anguish... one of the best in a while.

Easily my favorite Cybermen story of the modern series. Fantastic concept, equal parts terrifying and brilliant.

Missy was outstanding. Psychotic and terrifying and hilarious all at once. There's no way she got killed. None at all. Her little ray gun? I'm calling it. It's the same kind of teleport The Doctor used in Time Heist. Osgood and everyone else who got zapped are still alive, and will pop up by next season, if not by Christmas.

The final tribute / "appearance" of The Brig was touching. Respectful, endearing. Wonderful sendoff.

Danny's heroism at the end... fantastic. But I'm sure he'll be brought back by the end of Christmas. Orson Pink has to eventually exist, otherwise The Doctor would have never received Dan the Soldier Man in his youth, and would never have had the courage to be The Doctor in the first place.

The finale gets a 10/10 stamp, and my favorite of the season. Overall rankings for the year, adjusted for new plot information applied retroactively:

Dark Water / Death in Heaven
Listen
Flatline
Mummy on the Orient Express
Time Heist
The Caretaker
Deep Breath
Into The Dalek
Robot of Sherwood
In The Forest of the Night
Kill The Moon

Overall New Who season rankings, taking all that in to account:

4 + 2009 Specials
7 + 2013 Specials

There were more duds this season than most of the recent ones, but the good episodes were so entertaining that they elevated my overall enjoyment. Peter Capaldi has grown on me, and the Twelfth Doctor finally found his identity after some initial trial and error. I'm confident that we have great things in store next season. Looking forward to Christmas.

But... if Santa is real, who gave Rose that red bike?! I demand an explanation!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't think I'd rate this as highly as Matrix did, since there were a number of moments that didn't quite add up for me (though I quite like Matrix's ideas about some of them). But rather than dwell on that, I will just say that
the handling of the Brig practically brought Mrs. Heb and me to tears (and I hardly ever cry at anything, let alone a TV show -- it's not a macho thing; I guess I just have very dry eyes in general). The portrait on the plane would have been enough (and worth noting that, appropriately, it's McCoy-era Brig rather than Pertwee/Baker era, since that's the last time he was officially on-screen as the Brig), but the whole saving Kate and The Doctor's salute just killed me, in part because I've always been a fan of the Brig and have been rewatching a lot of Pertwee lately, including The Ambassadors of Death and Inferno, both of which are standout episodes for him.

Capaldi handles the scene brilliantly, and I have to give Rachel Talalay a lot of credit for excellent direction; it really felt for a second like Nicholas Courtney was inside that cyberman armor. I'm actually surprised at how much this affected me -- the phone call and Matt Smith's expression on finding out the Brig had died made me wistful, but this one just seemed like an even better sendoff, and I love the thought that he's still out there somewhere, fighting the good fight as much as he can, and obviously with Benton and Yates if they've died and been resurrected in the interim too.

ETA: Also meant to mention that
Clara and the Doctor lying to each other at the end (she about Danny, he about Gallifrey) just felt right, particularly given the way they've both proven to be manipulative throughout the season (and of course Matt Smith's "Rule #1: The Doctor lies"). In this case, it was lying to each other to make the other one feel better about leaving, something they touched on in Mummy on the Orient Express, but really expanded on here. Never going to like Clara and Danny as much as Amy and Rory or (for example) Sarah Jane or Leela or Jamie, but she has shown growth throughout the season, even if it's been inconsistent and not quite enough to make up for her lack of depth last season.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My thoughts on the finale in spoilers...

It was mostly a mess but pulled it around with a stunningly emotional final act. As Hebrides said, the Brig salute was a really powerful and respectful. I feel this series has gone to great lengths to pay tribute and refrence the classsic era like it was all part of one continuity. I guess this is down to being post-50th and the new older Doctor. The previous 7 new series have often felt like they've ignored the past a bit. Afer all, them paying a tribute to the Brig is the creators assuming that the audience know who that character is and are going to have an emotional conection to him. Previously I think the philosophy has been to assume that the new show's new audience have never watched it before. It feels like the show being more confident :).

The plot made very little sense, Moffat shouldn't be allowed to write on his own. Don't get me wrong he's a great Producer. In the classic era Producers writing for the show was all but forbidden (There were a few exceptions) which was probably a wise choice. The whole "Doctor is the President" thing was just thrown out there and nothing interesting done with it. Capaldi was wasted as he spent the most of the episode just starring in disbelief and not doing all that much.

Gomez was fantastic as The Mas..Miss..M..M erm that woman in black ;-). Nothing like the cerebral intelligence of Delgado, or Ainley but in keeping with the manic insanity of Simm.

Overall a B-. The seres started strong and got better and better (Except 'Kill The Moon') but this felt like a dip in quality just at the finale.

In Sci-Fi nobody ever really dies, so I hope it's not the last we've seen of Clara and Danny. I never thought I'd say that as I was extremely bored of Coleman's performance by the end of Series 7. The great writing and added character depth for her in this series has been fantastic.

Really looking forward to the Christmas special as it looks like straight-forward silly fun!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are... are those Xenomorph eggs? Dangerous. They got the Eighth Doctor once. And The War Doctor twice...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel this series has gone to great lengths to pay tribute and refrence the classsic era like it was all part of one continuity. I guess this is down to being post-50th and the new older Doctor. The previous 7 new series have often felt like they've ignored the past a bit. Afer all, them paying a tribute to the Brig is the creators assuming that the audience know who that character is and are going to have an emotional conection to him. Previously I think the philosophy has been to assume that the new show's new audience have never watched it before. It feels like the show being more confident :)

It has been my observation that since Moffat took over as show runner with Matt Smith that the series has made constant references to the greater history of the series. Certainly far more than when RTD ran the show, where the Doctor's past tv history was always kept vague and out of reach. While with the Smith era, the show was much more in your face about acknowledging the original tv series and embracing it.

One of my favourite moments from the finale had to be Clara pretending to be the Doctor and reciting all his known history.... did I hear her correctly, did she say FOUR wives???? I love the acknowledgement of the Doctor having children and grandchildren. I would love to see this aspect explored more.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
did she say FOUR wives???

Elizabeth I, River, Marilyn Monroe, Susasn's grandmother (probably?) . He was also engaged to that Aztec lady, but that was a misunderstanding involving chocolate.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
did I hear her correctly, did she say FOUR wives???? I love the acknowledgement of the Doctor having children and grandchildren. I would love to see this aspect explored more.

Hm, four...well, presumably there's Susan's grandmother. Then there's River. Then there's Queen Elizabeth I. The fourth would be...Marilyn Monroe, maybe (see the Christmas special from a couple of years ago)?

ETA: OK, that's funny...matrix's post didn't show up in my feed of the thread until after I posted my reply, even though it says it was written six minutes before mine...

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had to edit mine. I forgot about Marilyn, and incorrectly counted the Aztec lady. She was just a fiancee.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been watching through all the Pertwee serials (Many for the first time) "sort of" in order but I was saving the last Jo Grant adventure 'til last ('The Green Death'). Damn it's some beautiful bitter-sweet sadness at the end where the Doctor drives off alone into the night, after saying goodbye to Jo. I'm really sad to have to no more of their adventures left to watch. It was groovy that it basically predicted 'Quorn' ;-). Mmmm Quorn Tandoori, that's some tasty fungus.

Funny Mark Gatiss spoof documentary from The Green Death extra features...

Hmm not sure which Doctor to go for next. Maybe Troughton.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd definitely say Troughton is worth it. It's unfortunate that so many of his episodes are currently completely or partially missing, but he really was terrific. I've recently watched Seeds of Death, The Mind Robber, and The War Games, all for the first time. Seeds of Death is a "base under siege" story, but it's very well done; The Mind Robber is one of the oddest stories I've ever seen -- almost more of a filmed stage play than a "standard" story -- but it had a lot of interesting ideas; and The War Games is a classic that led to the Pertwee era and featured a character who resembled The Master in many ways. Enemy of the World is great too -- an underappreciated story that's become a hidden gem. Troughton's rapport with his companions, especially Frazer Hines as Jamie, is fantastic.

On another note, inspired by the season finale, I've just finished watching the McCoy story Battlefield for the first time. It marks the last official time the Brig was on screen (apart from a very, very brief appearance where he meets Colin Baker's Doctor in a pretty ill-considered Eastenders crossover for the 40th anniversary). I can't say that the story is one of the greatest, and it looks like they spent about five dollars total on all four episodes (with four of those going to the makeup effects for The Destroyer, which were surprisingly good), but it's still wonderful to see the Brig. It also features one of the best lines I've ever heard in a Doctor Who script: "Don't worry, Brigadier; people'll start shooting at you soon." :lol:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've now watched this three times and it's finally grown on me. Dark, haunting...and yeah, well timed with the remembrance weekend antics. They even got me to care about Danny

...Though where did Clara get the jacket from after Danny took her to the graveyard?

ErikPancakes

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Battlefield ... marks the last official time the Brig was on screen (apart from a very, very brief appearance where he meets Colin Baker's Doctor in a pretty ill-considered Eastenders crossover for the 40th anniversary)

You're forgetting his appearance on The Sarah Jane Adventures in 2008 - again, not the greatest episode, but it's the Brig! He also appeared in some Big Finish audio dramas - The Spectre of Lanyon Moor (Sixth Doctor), Minuet in Hell and Zagreus (Eighth Doctor), and three UNIT stories that the Doctor doesn't appear in. You know, if you count Big Finish stuff as canon.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ErikPancakes said:
You're forgetting his appearance on The Sarah Jane Adventures in 2008 - again, not the greatest episode, but it's the Brig! He also appeared in some Big Finish audio dramas - The Spectre of Lanyon Moor (Sixth Doctor), Minuet in Hell and Zagreus (Eighth Doctor), and three UNIT stories that the Doctor doesn't appear in. You know, if you count Big Finish stuff as canon.

I didn't know about the Sarah Jane Adventures episode -- thanks! I do have Minuet in Hell and Zagreus, but wasn't aware of Spectre of Lanyon Moor...and I do tend to count BF as canon, since they're the only way to get more Eighth Doctor (which Moffat made canon in Night of the Doctor by having him reference his BF companions, which I'm sure you already knew based on your avatar) :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So here is something I did not know existed.... a K-9 television series produced in Australia

From wiki:
As this is not a BBC production, direct references to Doctor Who are not legally allowed for rights reasons. However, Baker and Tams have confirmed that this K-9 is the original K-9 Mark I, who appeared in Doctor Who from The Invisible Enemy(1977) to The Invasion of Time (1978).[SUP][16][/SUP] This model was last seen in the possession of Leela on Gallifrey;[SUP][24][/SUP] in the first episode, the robot dog is damaged and undergoes a "regeneration" into a new, more advanced form capable of flight. He then explains that most of his memory was damaged, so he cannot remember the Doctor.[SUP][16][/SUP] In "The Curse of Anubis", Starkey and Jorjie steal the Anubians' book, which contains drawing of creatures the Anubians have enslaved, including a Sea Devil (as seen in The Sea Devils and Warriors of the Deep), a Mandrel (as seen in Nightmare of Eden) and an Alpha Centauran (as seen in The Curse of Peladon and The Monster of Peladon). While K-9 and the Professor perform diagnostic tests on K-9's damaged memory drive in episode 1, "Regeneration", K-9 plays a three-note cue from the Doctor Who theme, but cannot identify the music. Much like the TARDIS exterior's appearance as a 1963 police box, the Professor's laboratory and home is in a disused police station, still bearing its police lamp next to the front door. In the episode "The Cambridge Spy", Starkey and K-9 follow Jorjie into the past to when the lab was still a police station — specifically to the evening of 23 November 1963,[SUP][25][/SUP] the evening when Doctor Who premiered with "An Unearthly Child". The same evening had been visited by the Seventh Doctor and Ace in Remembrance of the Daleks. The principal adult character, Professor Gryffen holds comparable academic rank to the Doctor and is likewise nearly always addressed by his honorific, "Professor". In the pilot episode, K-9 Mark I gave his own life by self-destructing in order to kill the hostile aliens and save humans in London, just as K-9 Mark III did in "School Reunion".

Has anyone watched this show? I see Shout Factory sells the complete series.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have been meaning to buy this for ages. It aired on Disney XD over in the UK

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
I'd definitely say Troughton is worth it... I've recently watched Seeds of Death, The Mind Robber, and The War Games, all for the first time. Enemy of the World is great too...

By coincidence I've seen all those Troughton stories already and not many others. Seeds of Death was a highlight for sure. I think I'll watch all the Troughton ones I've missed next. The only Doctors I've seen all episodes for so far are Pertwee, McCoy, Eccleston and Tennant... oh and McGann obviously.

I got bored with Smith at some point, so have missed an 'unknown' number of episodes of his Doctor. I'm not intending on catching up with them anytime soon. Unlike the classic-era, it's so hard to dip into without being fully up-to-speed with all the convuoluted series-wide subplots the new show has. So to watch those missing episodes I'd have to rewatch all the episodes leading up to them and I'd only get bored with it again, so it's catch-22 ;-).

hebrides said:
I've just finished watching the McCoy story Battlefield for the first time.

My second favourite McCoy story ('Silver Nemesis' third).

Top Bottom