• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I totally like to envision the last pic as what he looked like when he got high with Craig Ferguson

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
It had me wondering if Capaldi and the team are slipping in overt refrences to all 12 previous Doctors (Including The War Doctor) across the 12 episodes?

1. The new Pertwee style costume
3. The Doctor duels with a spoon, a favourite prop of McCoy
4. Hurt's barn of solitude
6. Smith lookaliketeacher
7. Tom Baker's Yo-Yo
8. Hartnell neck tie

I can't remember anything from 2 and 5 right now but hopefully the next 4 episodes will feature props like cricket-bats, leather-jackets, lucky-cat-brooches, 3D-glasses, penny-whistles and... I unable to think of a specific McGann prop :oops:. I may have overthought this.

Into The Dalek is very much a throwback to Series 1's Dalek. Even naming the captive "Rusty" is a reference: Nine at one point quipped that the Dalek in the museum was starting to rust. Unless The Doctor does something or other with a banana later this season, I think that counts as our Eccelston reference.

As for Time Heist... well. The entire plot is sent in to motion by
audio recordings of The Doctor's voice, guiding the proceedings. Perhaps that's a reference to McGann's tenure being almost entirely limited to the Big Finish audio plays?
That, or we'll get some reference to very comfortable shoes down the line. Unless they want to open up the "half-human" can of worms again.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just had a crazy thought. Maybe all these little homages are foreshadowing the Doctor's future ability to "revisit his old favorite faces", culminating in the Tom Baker Curator character from Day of the Doctor. Selectively able to summon up aspects of his former regenerations when the situation warrants it. He really was channeling Tom's voice in his discussion with himself...

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Foxes' full cover of "Don't Stop Me" by Queen from last night's episode.
[video=youtube_share;FxLR6cP1_Q8]

With some nice spoilery peeks at the upcoming episodes.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
I just had a crazy thought. Maybe all these little homages are foreshadowing the Doctor's future ability to "revisit his old favorite faces", culminating in the Tom Baker Curator character from Day of the Doctor. Selectively able to summon up aspects of his former regenerations when the situation warrants it. He really was channeling Tom's voice in his discussion with himself...

Good theory, I often feel also that it's a process that allows any old lead actor to come back into the role for a nostalgia tour, maybe for an episode or a whole series, and it would be good to sort of build it up for the viewer so they have similar wild guesses as to which one that will be of the living actors

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like Capaldi.

I like Doctor Who.

I don't like Capaldi's Doctor Who.

To be fair, I don't think it's his fault - I think the writing this season is utter crap.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been loving this season. Sorry if you or anyone else hasn't.

After Season 7 taking 3 years (I'm counting the 50th anniversary and x mas special) Season 8 could be a bag of crap and I'd still probably enjoy it more by comparison. That aside, I've been really enjoying the writing, acting, costumes, sets, etc. The cinematography, editing, and directing styles have been interesting and teetering on experimental, but not detrimental.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't enjoyed a Doctor Who series so much since 1996 but I can see why this change of pace might not be to everyone's taste.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is a hard one to absorb, I think it'll get easier to tolerate on subsequesant reviewings. There's series I've been brutal with that I end up enjoying after a marathon

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flatline:

Awesome concept, great execution. Legitimately creepy visuals. Had a very stop-motion quality to the CG that I've never seen before, and it worked very well. That's two for two for Jamie Mathieson. I hope we get more scripts from him next season. And that ending... most mysterious.

9/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Regarding Pink and Clara...

Given the (Denied) rumours earlier in the year that Coleman would leave at the end of the series, it would certainly tie in with her lying to Pink. If she's got to choose between love and The Doctor at the end of this series, there's really only one way that story arc can traditionally go. I hope it's just one of those crazy rumours as I've really warmed to her this series. She's a much better match for Capaldi than she was for Smith IMO

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess Missy truly was the woman in the shop then...will be interesting if/when she bumps into Clara again so this can be verified, I've seen her with Capaldi but not with Coleman.

I was expecting just a tiny bit more from Danny this week, he's no fool and it must sting to put up with Clara fibbing and seeing through her fibs every time.

Linten1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I was expecting just a tiny bit more from Danny this week, he's no fool and it must sting to put up with Clara fibbing and seeing through her fibs every time.

Yes I agree. However he is a master at acting out the awkward moment. The half expressions and eye darting thing he does in those uncomfortable moments is pure genius. I never get tired of watching his acting abilities.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Potential spoiler uncovered in analysis of the promo for the next episode, maybe?

Probably a goof or joke, but..

If this winds up being a New Nightmare scenario where they cross over to our reality could be all kinds of brilliant.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So would that mean

Missy is the avatar of a female Moffat? (I kid...I hope)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me or was "In the Forest of the Night" one of the all-time best episodes?

Funny, magical, emotional, scary and a little bit political too. I'm currently half-way through watching Jon Pertwee's enviro-political serial "The Green Death" so it synched up nicely. The SFX were top-notch and the script was great (To be expected from a screenwriter like Frank Cottrell Boyce). The story seemed to have sprung from William Blake's 'Tiger' poem, including the title which was very cool. It's always nice to see that despite The Doctor's apparent age, when he's surrounded by kids, he comes off as way more childish :D.

The brief Missy cameo at the end was the only sour-note, as she seems to interupt right at the most emotional moments.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Meh. The concept was terrific. It just felt to me like they were struggling to come up with ways to make an entire episode out of it. It just felt kind of hollow to me. Good setup, good resolution... a lot of nothing in between. Finale looks great, though.

4.5/10

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found it a bit disjointed, and wish more had been made of the adults in the situation, seems the budget did'nt allow for anything other than the ensemble cast and the forestation. News items covering the event was textbook RTD era (no Trinity Wells, raagggh), and the ending reminded me of a Spice Girls video (I'll let you guess which one), the kids were lovely though. Definitely got better on a second rewatch

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I haven't enjoyed a Doctor Who series so much since 1996 but I can see why this change of pace might not be to everyone's taste.

Couldn't agree more. Capaldi's Doctor is awesome and this series is the best since the program returned back in 2005.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dark Water:

Well, we all saw the Missy/Master thing coming since day one, but it was still nice to have a big dramatic reveal all the same. The Cybermen connection was most interesting. Are we witnessing the genesis of the Mondasian variety, or this a third crop? And that Doctor Skarosa.... interesting surname, at least for this show. Possible Kaled/Mondas connection going on there? The idea of cremation being bad for the souls of the departed - very Egyptian. That mummy episode earlier this season, as well as the artifacts in Time Heist... interesting. The First Doctor also once found himself locked outside his TARDIS in an active volcano once - he visited ancient Egypt in the same story. Wonder where they're going with this. As a whole, the episode dealt with some really interesting, perhaps even taboo subject matter, and handled it all very well. The bureaucrat in the Nethersphere - didn't catch his name - stole the show for me. Hope we get to see more of him next week.

No rating until the second part airs, but this story is in the running for a 10/10, and my pick for the best of the season.

Top Bottom