• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
The hatch forbidding admittance to anyone at any time, with, of course, The Doctor going right through it ;-)

Yes! It reminds me of this exchange from...

The Five Doctors:

SERGEANT: I'm sorry, sir, you're not allowed in there.
SECOND DOCTOR: Not allowed? Me? I'm allowed everywhere.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the moments where Capaldi's Doctor expresses bewilderment at things we take for granted e.g.

In the first episode it was bedrooms ("A whole room for not being awake in?"), then having 3 mirrors ("Can't you just turn your head?") and last night it was Clara's high-heels ("Do you have to reach a high shelf?").

It's extra funny because you're not 100% if The Doctor is genuinely astonished by human life, or just trying to get a rise out of people.

This shot from next week...

15302355671_d8a4a40a2d_o.png

...totally looks like...

ghostbusters.jpg

;-)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent catch, TM2YC! And hang on -- that mouthpiece thing looks somewhat familiar from NuWho, as does the whole backpack arrangement...I wonder if this is a return of

a reworked version of the species matcher rig from Vincent and the Doctor...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also Saibra...

15305984172_210d3f176e_o.jpg

...totally looked like musical genius Grace Jones...

grace-jones.jpg

I only noticed when I was watching the behend-the-scenes show this morning.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Caretaker:

No need for spoiler tags. It's solid character development, pure and simple. I enjoyed it, and Capaldi did a fine job. I'm completely on board with him in the role now.

7.5/10

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad you're warming to the show now Grindy. I enjoyed this one a lot.
The offiicer getting mutilated by Sir Killalot was boss.
:)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Sir Killalot

Yes! I knew it reminded me of something :D. Also a little bit this guy from Babylon 5...

Ikkaran02.jpg

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Glad you're warming to the show now Grindy. I enjoyed this one a lot.
The offiicer getting mutilated by Sir Killalot was boss.
:)

You and me both. For the most part, disappointments have been few and far between for me. Consecutive ones were rarer. The previous three were all good to great in my book. Next one looks like a lot of fun as well.

TM2YC said:
Yes! I knew it reminded me of something :D. Also a little bit this guy from Babylon 5...

Ikkaran02.jpg

Nah. It's Garrus from Mass Effect.

image8-640x358.jpg

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In case anyone's curious (and in a fan editing forum, I think they are), here's a side-by-side comparison of the Season 8 theme made by the YouTube user and the one done officially for the BBC.

(The YouTube one is slightly longer, so it starts first before being moved to the right; the official version shows on the left.)

I'm sorry to say it, but I actually think the YouTube one is better.

ErikPancakes

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't like either of them, but I prefer the "official" one to the fan-made one.

Really, I just wish they'd stayed with the 7B intro, but with Capaldi's face and the Day of the Doctor end-credits version of the theme tune. That would've been perfect for me.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the Youtube version for the better rendered gears, the seal of Rassilon, and the pocket watch.

Anyone notice sometimes the sting is missing from some eps before the intro? Also the editing of the title card of "Listen" was deplorable as it still hung on the screen for a couple of seconds after the intro ended

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kill the Moon:

I've been disappointed by Doctor Who episodes before, but this was the first time I was ever angry with one.

Clara made the wrong choice, but was painted as having been in the right. She singlehandedly condemned countless innocents on Earth to the havoc wrecked by not only the irreversible change in the tides, but in the subsequent bombardment of the surface. She had absolutely no way of knowing what would transpire. There wasn't a single hint that the creature would replace the Moon, nor that the debris would simply evaporate. She chose to allow the potential deaths of billions for the sake of a embryo. They never even suggested that the creature might be intelligent, or if it were capable of survival on its own. There's no dilemma here. What disgusted me the most was her last second decision to cancel the detonation. She left it up to a vote - democracy on a global scale, for what was likely the first time in human history, and overrode it. She knew better than the entire planet, because she had the means of deciding for them? That's goddamn fascism right there.

And this whole thing could have been saved so easily with a simple re-write. Instead of a dormant embryo, why not have an entire intelligent civilization living inside the moon? Then there's an argument to be had, actual ethical consequences to the decisions being made. Some real grey areas. Instead, we're left with a half-baked allegory for abortion? I can't even tell, honestly.

Zero stars.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved it.

Quick theory time:
So Danny has been implied to have killed a woman during his service, correct? What if Missy is the woman he killed? X files music

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked this episode until the end, which was not good.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally got a chance to see the last episode.

Hmmm the plot was more full of holes than well... the moon. I won't go into the specific plot problems, suffice to say that if it was in the plot, there was something wrong with it ;-).

On the plus side... I liked the fresh dynamic Courtney brought to the adventure. I've got so tired of the interchangable 'sassy-twenty-something-girl' companions, so a companion that reacted to things in a totally new way was welcome. Also the ending was fantastic, so emotionally rawand different from what we've seen before. It left me wondering if giver Clara the choce was a misjudged attempt by the new "emotionally-inexperienced" Doctor to make her feel "Special" just like she'd suggested in the eposode opener and it had backfired spectaculaly. Lastly the creepy sound and camera work was very nicely done.

I can't wait to see how the Clara/Doctor/Pink ongoing subplot is going to play out in future weeks.

FYI: This bit of continuity is mentioned on Wikipedia...

"The Doctor uses a yo-yo to test the moon's gravity inside the shuttle. The Fourth Doctor used the same method to test gravity in the Nerva space station in The Ark in Space. [SUP][/SUP]According to executive producer Brian Minchin, Capaldi had requested the yo-yo to be similar to the one that Tom Baker had used before"

ark6.jpg

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked bits and detested other areas, felt it could have been told in a tidy half-hour (one for an edit maybe?).

Really liked The Doc's silly space walk

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mummy on the Orient Express:

A fine return to form!

Terrific atmosphere, clever plot. The Doctor was great. I really think they've finally nailed down the best use of Peter Capaldi. He can be abrasive, even heartless. But always for good reason. Always with the endgame of being the hero he doubts that he really is. And that Hartnell-style getup? Awesome. Needs to break that out more often. They resolved the Clara issues remarkably well.

9/10

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really interesting mix of Classic and NuWho in this one. Might have benefited from a tiny bit more character development so we have a little more invested in some of the victims.

When Capaldi talks to himself in this episode, it really felt to me that he was doing a bit of a Tom Baker impression as one of the two voices in the conversation (in cadence if not actual voice). Agree with matrix about the nod to Hartnell too, though it's also updated nicely, and the pocket square is a nice nod to Troughton (with elaborate folding that would have suited Pertwee).

Not sure how I feel about Clara's reconciliation with him. It played OK overall, but the "addiction" almost feels like something she should have discussed with Smith ages ago. Still, a very strong episode, I think, and one that would have fit well in any era.

ETA: Absolutely loved
the jelly babies in the vintage cigarette case!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
that Hartnell-style getup? Awesome.

It had me wondering if Capaldi and the team are slipping in overt refrences to all 12 previous Doctors (Including The War Doctor) across the 12 episodes?

1. The new Pertwee style costume
3. The Doctor duels with a spoon, a favourite prop of McCoy
4. Hurt's barn of solitude
6. Smith lookaliketeacher
7. Tom Baker's Yo-Yo
8. Hartnell neck tie

I can't remember anything from 2 and 5 right now but hopefully the next 4 episodes will feature props like cricket-bats, leather-jackets, lucky-cat-brooches, 3D-glasses, penny-whistles and... I unable to think of a specific McGann prop :oops:. I may have overthought this.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some awesome pictures of Capaldi in his younger days...

35ae9504968cf9c50c00c0e81715ef0e.jpg

tumblr_mbe7y6DlTc1r9u4ico1_1280.jpg

uktv-doctor-who-peter-capaldi-5.jpg

capaldi82bmtha13-dj700.jpg

tumblr_mumdpbfTjD1rgfenbo1_500.jpg

article-2385889-1B284FED000005DC-419_634x820.jpg

Peter-421168.jpg

He's gone through some looks over the years!

Oh and just to say, wow Coleman in that 1920s attire was the hotness. Also did anybody else get a Douglas Adams vibe from the story? The train was very 'Starship Titantic' and the talking computer reminded me of The Heart of Gold's computer.

Top Bottom