• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it's funny to me how people have read so much into these 18-second clips. I don't see anything in them that doesn't fit what we already know: the stories might be a little darker this year; the Doctor has some amnesia and self-doubt, as he typically does at the beginning of a new regeneration; etc. Yeah, Clara's having a little bit of crisis of faith in the Doctor, but so did Rose when she met 10 at the beginning of "A Christmas Invasion."

Mind you, it's great fun to speculate, and I love reading these things. Someone else I know suggested that Clara's line about not knowing the Doctor anymore means that Moffat is going to directly tackle the reason why the Doctor looks someone from Pomepeii and someone from Torchwood in the premiere. I don't think that's the case, but it makes for a very entertaining read. :)

I always thought that it would be fun when we reached Doctor #13, if he did turn out to be the Valeyard after all (as Matrix has speculated), but the focus would be on some of the Doctor's former Companions chasing after him and trying to stop him. So, for instance, Captain Jack, Gwen, Martha Jones and Mickey Smith chase after the Valeyard using vortex manipulators. And that would indeed last for only one season, with the finale being about a forced regeneration.

The tagline for the season would be something like: "In honor of the Doctor, they must stop the Doctor."

This has pretty much no chance of happening, of course. Moffat hasn't used any characters from the RTD era during the entirety of Matt Smith's run (not even his co-creation, Captain Jack), so I don't see him starting now. And to build an entire season off of a character that appeared once in 1986 and hasn't been seen even in reruns for decades -- not gonna happen. But, again, it's so much fun to speculate, why not throw the ideas out there? :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Valeyard will be a headache dealt with in time, maybe not in Moffat's time per say, but we're probably closer to it now than ever. As for the character being a footnote, that's true, but of course he was name-dropped in the series seven finale, and that is bound to get more and more people flocking to wikis and video sites looking for info and clips.

It's an elephant in the room, and the room is filing in with onlookers.:)

Anyhoo, just read a whopping ton of spoilers for the new series on Gallifrey Base, won't go into too much detail just this

Twelve will have a nasty streak to him, but will be occasionally witty and funny. Basicly an angry grandpa. And he hates hugs. He also does'nt like Tom's scarf

Expect an old monster in the first episode which havent been seen since the RTD era

The main storyline of the series is "what defines Heaven"

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Five episode scripts have leaked. I've read about three of them so far. I haven't read "Deep Breath" in full but "Listen" and "Robots of Sherwood" are cracking stories

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't want any spoilers, so anyone like Mr Zarius who have "opened their presents before Christmas" please keep these scripts to yourself. Thanks all :).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want ALL the spoilers!

x-all-the-things-template.png

Nah, but seriously...
0.jpg

Use spoiler tags if you give specific details. Anybody that clicks them, that's their fault for getting spoiled.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't want any spoilers, so anyone like Mr Zarius who have "opened their presents before Christmas" please keep these scripts to yourself. Thanks all :).

No problem mate. Won't breathe a word.

You had such an oppertunity to say "You will always be weaker than I"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
No problem mate. Won't breathe a word.

You had such an oppertunity to say "You will always be weaker than I"

I was paraphrasing Jack White from the days when downloading was still kinda 'a new thing' and we only had dial-up (Only 11 years ago, how time flys).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
....meanwhile, in an alternate timeline....

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ YEEEESSSSSS!

I would die happy if I could see just one episode of Vincent Price or Gene Wilder's Doctor. The perfect choices!

drwho03.jpg

Not totally sure about some of the later ones though...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really hope the sentiment expressed by this trailer is born out in the actual series e.g. "...Into Darkness"

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope so too, and the rumblings I have heard suggest that Capaldi may bring a darker edge to the series...I watched The Musketeers primarily for him, and there were a couple of moments in that where he let his inner beast out that were actually quite chilling in an otherwise (I thought) middle-of-the-road-but-enjoyable series. I got the same feeling in The Hour when his very, very controlled character let loose in one scene. A little bit of that would go a long way here -- if his Doctor is a combination of 1, 3, and 4, with maybe a bit of 9 (as I've heard some suggest), I think it could be riveting.

I know he met Pertwee as a teenager when Pertwee was the Doctor, and he's remained a very close friend of the family (and references/emulates him in both his costume and promo photos), so I hope his portrayal brings some of Pertwee's combination of warmth, action, and righteous indignation...Pertwee is Mrs. Heb's favorite, and one of mine...

BTW, must agree with those who ask for no spoilers, especially since a black and white, unfinished copy of the first episode has now leaked in addition to the five scripts.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I peeked at my christmas presents again. I have no willpower:-(

No spoilers, but expect great things from Capaldi.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And here I was thinking I'd never associate something positive with the words "Into Darkness" ever again. Happy to be wrong about that!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So over the past year or so, I have been slowly picking the original Doctor Who on dvd, re-educating myself on the classic lore.

So far, I have acquired....
THE AZTECS
THE TOMB OF THE CYBERMEN
SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE
ROBOT
PYRAMID OF MARS
THE THREE DOCTORS
THE FIVE DOCTORS
THE DEADLY ASSASSIN
THE INVASION OF TIME
THE GENESIS OF THE DALEKS
THE TIME OF KEY SERIES
EARTHSHOCK
RESURRECTION OF THE DALEKS
VENGEANCE ON VAROS
REMEMBRANCE OF THE DALEKS
DR WHO THE MOVIE

On TM2YC recommendation I attempted to order BATTLEFIELD, but it must be out of print or something, as none of my usual supplies have it in stock and those that do, the price is super expensive. The same with THE TWO DOCTORS and INVASION.

So today I ordered,
DOCTOR WHO NEW BEGINNINGS
and
BENEATH THE SURFACE.

While I await for those to arrive, I am already looking at other titles to maybe order but I am still a baby in the Whoverse.

What would you recommend I order? What are MUST HAVES in the Who Pantheon? :)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still have a loooong way to go through the classic series, but I do have some Hartnell era recommendations:

An Unearthly Child - Really just the first episode, though. The very beginning is pretty interesting. The other three episodes are just a boring adventure with stupid cavemen.

The Daleks - "That's sheer murder!" "No. It is... extermination." They really hit the ground running with this one. As with the rest of the era, pacing is glacial, but there's a lot of great stuff that's worth the wait.

The Dalek Invasion of Earth: Even better than its predecessor. Got kind of a Terminator sort of vibe to it in places.

The Romans: Genuinely funny. A particularly lighthearted adventure that really showcases how much the First Doctor changed as a character.

The Space Museum... kind of. It's a really dull, forgettable story. There's some interesting proto-Moffat timeline shenanigans, but they don't use their concepts to the full potential. But the real highlight is an amazing piece of whimsy on the Doctor's part that really drives home the child-like nature the character can have at times. I could just as easily see Matt Smith doing the same thing.

The Chase: Overly silly, some may not care for it. But there's a part where Frankenstein's monster fights Daleks while Dracula watches and laughs it up. If that doesn't catch your interest, skip it.

The Time Meddler: Sets some cool precedents. Good antagonist. Serves as a good companion piece to the Aztecs when it comes to the concept of altering history.

The War Machines: If you can get past the fact that they keep calling the main character "Doctor Who', it's got some of Hartnell's more heroic moments, and a pretty innovative/prescient plot for the time.

The Tenth Planet: Enter the Cybermen, exit the First Doctor.

If you're interested in reconstructions of missing or mostly-missing stories, I'd recommend:

Mission to the Unknown: An ancient predecessor to today's online prequels, it sets up the Daleks Masterplan. Only story to not feature The Doctor, The Tardis, nor any companions whatsoever.

The Myth Makers: The Trojan War, in the same comedic style as The Romans.

The Daleks' Masterplan: My favorite Hartnell story. It's a shame that so little of it still exists. A twelve episode long epic. Besides a time and space transcending race against... time, we've got the coincidental return of another villain in the midst of it, superweapons, disguises, weird aliens, convicts, legitimately shocking drama... and the first (and unfortunately offensive) Christmas Special.

The Massacre: The main plot here's pretty dry, and there's a plot convenience/coincidence that's really lame. But the ending is one of the most intense introspective moments in The Doctor's history.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
The Chase: Overly silly, some may not care for it. But there's a part where Frankenstein's monster fights Daleks

Wait, what?!?! Seriously, it's already been done in the Whoniverse? And I thought I was on to something new with my (proposed) War Doctor edit of Frankenstein Unbound. I should have known...I have a feeling what I have in mind might be done a bit more seriously than this sounds like it was, but still...

In terms of "must haves," Bob, I would say that just about anything with Jon Pertwee facing off against Roger Delgado as The Master is up there. They're so, so good together, and Delgado's death was a real blow both to Pertwee and the show. The Daemons is particularly good, as is The Mind of Evil. I recall Inferno being an exceptional Pertwee episode too, but it's been many years since I saw it.

For Tom Baker, I love The Talons of Weng Chiang -- extremely atmospheric and shows the Doctor as (essentially) Sherlock Holmes. There are some bits that are in questionable taste in retrospect, but it features Leela (a genuine badass female companion) and the really rather delightful Victorian-era duo of Jago and Lightfoot.

For Troughton, I'd definitely recommend the newly-discovered The Enemy of the World. It was widely thought to be just so-so when all that existed was one episode and audio for the rest, but it's a really great adventure featuring remarkable dual performances by Troughton (who was an exceptional character actor before and after being The Doctor).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What about the recent release WEB OF FEAR??? This is the first appearance of UNIT and the Brig, correct? Not to mention the Great Intelligence and the Yeti? I have heard the Yeti referenced many times but have never seen it... and as you may know, I am big Ape fan... lol.

Has anyone picked this one up or seen the episode?

Top Bottom