• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
And we see him regenerate - but not specifically into Nine.
We do see though,
that his face begins to become Nine just before the cut.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Keep your eyes on the upper half of his face. That's where the money is. ;)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Noted. I wasn't entirely serious with my madness back there, of course. Just some fun straw-grasping.

In other news, the great folks at tardis wikia are on to something very interesting.
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Summer_Falls_(novel)

It would appear that Amy met the Curator! Perhaps this mysterious future Doctor is some sort of timey-wimey loophole that allowed him to visit and watch over her, somehow.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's great!

My favorite moments:
Cyberman voice mail.
Steven Moffat's action figure-based writing style.
Tom Baker is still stuck in Shada footage.
Murray Gold music on the inside, Dudley Simpson on the outside!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who has become somewhat disillusioned with the series since its return in 2005, I suppose I fully expected to pick holes in the 50th Anniversary special. However, I had loved The Night of The Doctor, and Adventures in Time and Space was absolutely wonderful - things were looking up.

75 minutes later, I was almost speechless. Moffatt actually nailed it - completely. I loved more or less every second of it, and I was well.. stunned. I still haven't really recovered yet. To make a story featuring 3 Doctors, the return of the Zygons, and a massive dose of the Time War all gel together was some ask - to actually succeed is just amazing. Well done to everyone involved; by far the best episode since the series' return for me - I actually can not wait for the Christmas special now.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like Dr. Who junkie needing another high... LOL!

Amazon Canada had a big sale today on classic WHO. Picked up ROBOT, THE DEADLY ASSASSIN, THE TIME INVASION and GENESIS OF THE DALEKS.

I really wanted to pick up THE TWO DOCTORS, but it must be out of print or something cause the listing price was over $200.00!!!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
As someone who has become somewhat disillusioned with the series since its return in 2005.

I have NEVER understood the negative attitudes some fans have to the modern series, I often feel that they are simply outgrowing the show more than finding genuine fault. Doctor Who's never stopped being brilliant in my book, and while I enjoyed "Day of the Doctor" and consider it a true tour de force of complicated storytelling told in very simple strokes, to say it's the best episode since the show came back is , frankly, a bit daft, there have been far superior episodes before this one by the likes of Davies, Moffat, MacRae, and Rob Sherman

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For what it's worth, my perspective is something of a mix. I'd seen bits and pieces of Tennant era NuWho. After some strong recommendations from my cousin, I delved into the series... from both directions. Hartnell on DVD, Smith on TV.... and more of everything in between since then. The only significant differences between old and new Who are pacing and music. The new show is unquestionably faster, and Murray Gold's music is much more bombastic and extravagant than the moodier electronic music of the old days. But the heart and soul of the show - the Doctor's core values, the way he goes about his adventures, the way he cares for his companions - that hasn't changed. I like both. Slight preference for the style of the newer stuff, but it really is the same show.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I have NEVER understood the negative attitudes some fans have to the modern series, I often feel that they are simply outgrowing the show more than finding genuine fault. Doctor Who's never stopped being brilliant in my book, and while I enjoyed "Day of the Doctor" and consider it a true tour de force of complicated storytelling told in very simple strokes, to say it's the best episode since the show came back is , frankly, a bit daft, there have been far superior episodes before this one by the likes of Davies, Moffat, MacRae, and Rob Sherman

Firstly Zarius, I am pleased you edited your original post as quite frankly I found it very insulting to me on a personal level. I've never felt that way about any post on this forum in all my time here, but at least you had the decency to edit it. However, I still take issue with your point that you "NEVER understood the negative attitude some fans have to the modern series". I LOVE this show. I feel fed up trying to convince you that there are brilliant episodes in both the Russell T Davis and Steven Moffatt eras. However, I still have the right to defend my opinion if I feel that overall the show had at times lost its way - in the same way that the classic series also lost its way from time to time.

Plus to say I'm daft just because in my opinion this is the best story since the show came back, well what can I say? It's just my opinion. You are entitled to yours, so I would appreciate it if you allow me to have mine without calling me daft.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=4825]Zarius[/MENTION] we are all entitled to our opinions, please be more respectful and agree to disagree.

Back on topic, being still a newer Whovian, am I correct that the school Clara taught at in Day of the Doctor was the same school Susan attended? And was that Ian Chesterton as the school principal (or Headmaster)? I am sure I missed a ton of Easter Eggs that hardcore long time fans caught...

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Zarius we are all entitled to our opinions, please be more respectful and agree to disagree.

Back on topic, being still a newer Whovian, am I correct that the school Clara taught at in Day of the Doctor was the same school Susan attended? And was that Ian Chesterton as the school principal (or Headmaster)? I am sure I missed a ton of Easter Eggs that hardcore long time fans caught...

Yeah, that was the same school that Susan attended. I thought that was really a very clever throwback to the first series. (especially dug the use of the original intro).

There were quite a bit of easter eggs thrown around. One of the high points for me was Tennant wearing a fez. That was pretty awesome. Really dug seeing Tennant, Hurt, and Smith's Doctors all working together. (Loved Smith demanding to be locked up with his co-conspirators Sandshoes and Grandad.)

Before watching the ep, I took the wonderful opportunity to watch the McGann minisode as a nice prologue to the ep. Would love to see someday, if there's a chance of it being edited together into Day of the Doctor.

It was interesting to see the Zygons. Never had seen the original series episodes with them in it. So, that was some new territory. Also dug seeing the Tom Baker scarf being worn by the assistant with the asthma.

It was also pretty sweet to see some of the Time War. Day of the Doctor was a bit of solid writing that tied everything together very nicely.

Now begins the slow sad countdown to the christmas ep.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
We do see though,
that his face begins to become Nine just before the cut.

I thought his quote about having less inconspicuous ears was enough of a clue that he would become Nine.

I loved the episode, it's the best we've had for a while, seems like they really had the budget and good writing for the 50th, not just with this but also the docu-drama.

My only complaint was that it seems like they could have had Paul McGann as the war doctor, but it was only after the mini-sode that they were aware of his popularity (mostly garnered through audio books and deservedly so.)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My only complaint was that it seems like they could have had Paul McGann as the war doctor, but it was only after the mini-sode that they were aware of his popularity (mostly garnered through audio books and deservedly so.)

Couldn't agree more. McGann was wonderful in just that little 7 minutes of screen time. Spin-off series? Doubtful after an interview I saw with Moffatt.... but hey, surely we could have a separate mini-series when the main series is not on air? If not, we always have the audios :)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Or even shorter than that, how sweet would a one-off special be that sort of covers the whole span between the '96 movie and Night of the Doctor? Awww, yeah.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Doctor Who Christmas special will soon be upon us.

But it makes me wonder as a New Whovian, were Christmas themed stories a part of the classic series?

If so, could anyone recommend a couple I should check out?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The Doctor Who Christmas special will soon be upon us.

But it makes me wonder as a New Whovian, were Christmas themed stories a part of the classic series?

If so, could anyone recommend a couple I should check out?

The only one I'm aware of was The Feast of Steven - an episode in the middle of the Daleks Master Plan. As with most of that serial, the episode is lost - but the audio and some still photos do still exist. Reconstructions can be found out there. It's one of the strangest episodes in the entire series, and features a rare fourth wall break. It's my understanding that they essentially made it as a giant filler episode, as they expected most viewers would be spending their time with family on Christmas. It was the only episode that no copies were known to be made of, and was wiped immediately. In other words, it is the single least likely episode to ever be recovered. It's worth watching/listening to as a novelty, but it isn't what I'd consider a particularly good episode of the Hartnell run. Though as a whole, The Daleks' Master Plan is probably my favorite serial of his run.

An important note: There's one line of dialogue - by the Doctor - that can be interpreted as being very offensive, or even outright racist. Its intended meaning can be argued otherwise, but it depends heavily on context. I'd recommend against sharing this one with a larger audience. It could be awkward.

Top Bottom