• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moffat... still in charge.... showing no signs of leaving.. oh well, looks like my wishlist for 2013 is off to a bad start ;)

You know what I'd like? A complete reboot. I never thought I would say that, with all the history that the show has and having watched it religilously since the days of Tom Baker. Sign of the times I suppose.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
IMO, Moffat writes the smartest, funniest and most suspenseful stories that the series has ever seen. I don't understand the endless bashing of him and saying how he's "ruined" the show.

And how would a reboot help? Whatever you don't like about Moffat's run won't be in the stories of the next Doctor with the next showrunner anyway.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just don't think his writing is smart at all. Sorry. I can imagine him watching from the wings with a smirk on his face as he succeeds in fooling us into thinking how clever he is. And, before anyone starts bashing me for my opinion, and remember, this is just my opinion, I do still like some of the shows in his tenure. They're just not ones which he has written! :-D

The last straw for me in terms of Moffat's so-called smart writing, came during the whole fiasco of a story around last season - the River Song being Amy's daughter etc... if you went back over the season, there was no logic holding anything together. It was nonsense. What annoyed me, is that Moffat actually believes he's an amazingly smart writer. I mean, Dan Brown has sold millions and millions of books... but a great, smart writer? Ahem.

Anyways, I can see that I'm in the minority on the thread - but I'm sticking by my opinion guys.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think you're in the minority; that's what bothers me. All I read lately is people bashing him. And while I don't hold that personally against you, I think it's unfair to Moffat. So he had one story arc that didn't turn out very well, and suddenly all of the brilliant stories that he did beforehand don't mean anything to fans. Suddenly the man who wrote "Blink" and "Silence in the Library" and the amazing story arc of Season 5 is a lazy hack?

Alex Kingston is on Arrow this season. I've never heard any official confirmation of this, but I have a strong hunch that Moffat had a much longer plan for the River Song character that he found himself suddenly having to quickly truncate into one season. The abruptness of that story just doesn't fit with the rest of his writing. And now, in Season 7, he's back to writing good stuff.

Even at that, the worst Moffat script IMO is "The Day of the Moon," and it's still tons better than, say, "Love and Monsters," which is pretty much par for the course for Russell T. Davies' run in terms of its cheesiness.

Season Six left me scratching my head at the bizarreness of it, but at no point was I yelling instructions to the stupid characters onscreen, which I usually do for almost any Doctor Who from 1963 to 2009. (That doesn't mean I don't like things from those eras, but there was an awful lot of cheesiness in those days that people seem to have conveniently forgotten about.)

It's the Christopher Nolan phenomenon. He made a great movie in The Dark Knight, which made Internet fans worship him. Then he made The Dark Knight Rises, which is a very good film that has a few flaws. But because of those flaws, the whole Internet has turned on him. Now suddenly he's the worst director since Joel Schumaker. Really, people? REALLY? Must we go from one extreme to the other?

Neither Nolan nor Moffat are perfect writers because no one is perfect. And for that matter, many of the people throwing stones have never actually attempted to write a script themselves or put it out there for everyone to make fun of. It's impossible to please everybody all the time, and it's difficult to even please most of the people most of the time. I think both Moffat and Nolan deserve credit for getting it right a lot more often than most writers.

Of course, this isn't personally directed at you, LastSurvivor. You certainly are entitled to think otherwise, and you expressed your opinion politely. But I'm just frustrated with fandom in general. At first, the Internet brought fans together who would otherwise have never known each other. Now, it seems, the Internet is only for complaining and tearing others down.

Thus endeth my rant for the day.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you captured it perfectly. Moffat is a great writer, but because he chose to focus on River last season, many people got annoyed and now want to bash him. They blame him for all the problems of Who, even if things like split seasons are things that the BBC have directed and he has no say over them. I personally didn't like a lot of his stories in Season 6, as I think he was trying to write more like Davies and it just didn't work. This season he's reverted from that, and he wrote two really good stories so far (still up in the air on Snowmen).

Arrow has nothing to do with it. Moffat just chose to focus last season on River, and people who don't like her for what ever reason have taken that to be that he's a hack. Even Moff has admitted that perhaps he spent too much time with her last season, but nothing he does contradicts itself. People may not like it, but it not half of the nonsense that Davies did. Moffat literally had to spend his first season resetting the universe because of all the contradictions that RTD introduced into the show that conflicted with the old series and continuity.

wolfcarnage

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moffat I give respect because after in 1988-1989 after Sylvester Mccoy and Ace went bye bye and the Master except the Doctor Who Magazine and eventually the audio books continued and stuff like Dimensions In Time Doctor Who Continued. I was very disappointed in the 50 years of Doctor Who on the BBC so far specials. What is missing the old doctors when they revealed the top 5 companions was it a shock that it was Martha- River, Rose, Donna and Pond? I mean come on .. no Romana or Leela or Zoe, wow! The specials showing extensive work of the doctor's episodes from that time period was exciting and cool that they played a old classic bbc episode, but then it was over- they started before the episode explaining the companion history and best clips of episodes, now they have this huge gap to Patrick Troughton they did not explain all the other Companions that some were killed in the Dalek Master Plan, etc. etc. I just wished they would have added some more info to the companions after the classic movie Aztecs etc. instead of just having cool info then the movie then over- IF there were time constraints. i hope they release this on DVD/Blu-ray with more and more Footage :) But that is what Fan Edit's Do re construct it as it is meant too :))) I think it is interesting they are going to animate most of the lost footage. I cannot wait to see the Tenth Planet final result as i have 4 different versions already , Loose Cannon, Telesnaps etc. Already on pre-order. :) Just wanted to put my two cents in :))))) Moffat has done alot and in 2005 I thought at first Doctor Who was doomed but this is for a broaDER AUdience as well now, kids and teens and the little K-9 with Sarah Jane.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
AWESOME trailer!

The premiere is the 30th, though, so it's a little less than two weeks, not one.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
The premiere is the 30th, though, so it's a little less than two weeks, not one.

math bad...:p lol

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I got a bad feeling about this..."

A bad case of dejavu.... haven't we already seen this before....?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It didn't bother you that the Doctor is bumping into the childhood version of his future companion?
This concept was used at great length with Amy Pond, so for me it felt like revisiting old material too soon.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
It didn't bother you that the Doctor is bumping into the childhood version of his future companion?
This concept was used at great length with Amy Pond, so for me it felt like revisiting old material too soon.

That.
Not to mention that the girl version of Clara here seems to have developed a northern English accent and looks nothing like JLC. (unless of course this version of Clara decides to be northern)

EDIT : looking at the trailer, no, Clara is not northern.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, it's a one-off joke. It's already been established that the Doctor keeps running into different versions of Clara; why shouldn't one of them be too young for him to recognize? That doesn't mean the whole story is going to be about that young version of Clara growing up and loving him.

Do you all seriously think that Moffat isn't aware of Amy's storyline? Give the guy a bit more credit than that. Sheesh. LOL

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Oh, it's a one-off joke. It's already been established that the Doctor keeps running into different versions of Clara; why shouldn't one of them be too young for him to recognize? That doesn't mean the whole story is going to be about that young version of Clara growing up and loving him.

Do you all seriously think that Moffat isn't aware of Amy's storyline? Give the guy a bit more credit than that. Sheesh. LOL

Nah. It's crappy unoriginal writing.
This:

Not to mention that the girl version of Clara here seems to have developed a northern English accent and looks nothing like JLC. (unless of course this version of Clara decides to be northern)

EDIT : looking at the trailer, no, Clara is not northern

Piss poor.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked it, as long as it stays a one-off it's fine. He's playing with our expectations, in my opinion.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
Nah. It's crappy unoriginal writing.

And you say this with full knowledge of how the rest of the season will proceed? :p

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Likewise. Hopefully it'll be a great second half. Wasn't overly keen on the first. Just commenting on this 'prequel'.
But given the sloppy attention to detail on young Clara. :|

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oops, it seems I have done it again. :oops:

My intent was not start another Moffat bashing session. :-o

Clearly Moffat is having fun with the audience, maybe even messing with his fans/critics, but for me it was just too on the nose, too obvious.... "shrug/yawn".... :-(

It was a nice scene but it did not excite me. But maybe my expectations were too high. :p

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, no worries! I was just kind of playfully arguing. It's no big deal; it's just a 1-minute trailer. I'm sorry it didn't work for everyone as well as it worked for me.

Top Bottom