• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm. If this was a Christmas episode, how did Clara die on November 23?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Hmmm. If this was a Christmas episode, how did Clara die on November 23?

Oops, my bad. She was BORN November 23, 1866 and DIED on December 24, 1992.

In regards to the Great Intelligence, the Second Doctor encountered this villain in "THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN" set in the 1930s and in "THE WEB OF FEAR" set in the 1960s, so I guess this story is a prequel to these adventures.

That is an interesting idea HEBRIDES regarding JFK and Oswald, it never occurred to me.... now I am even more curious.:D

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Oops, my bad. She was BORN November 23, 1866 and DIED on December 24, 1992.

She died in 1992?? Man, she lived a long life! :lol: (Sorry, I know it's just a typo. I couldn't resist, though!)

bionicbob said:
In regards to the Great Intelligence, the Second Doctor encountered this villain in "THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN" set in the 1930s and in "THE WEB OF FEAR" set in the 1960s, so I guess this story is a prequel to these adventures.

That is very cool. I love all of Moffat's references to the classic series. I haven't seen those serials yet, so I guess they're the next two on my watch list!

Intriguing that the Doctor doesn't seem to remember them. But then again, he is 1100 years old, so I guess things start slipping the mind at that point. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TYPOS!!!! Damn these fingers!!!!:p

Anyway, teaser for the up coming season...

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That trailer looks all kinds of terrific. I'm already not even thinking about the Ponds anymore.

I'm surprised that so many episodes have been shot already. The only one I've heard about filming is the Cybermen episode penned by Neil Gaiman.

Ugh, I can't wait another 3 months for a new episode! I want more Doctor Who NOW! :-o

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy Who Year, everyone! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

With this being the year of the 50th anniversary, I thought that you all might be interested in looking at the first part of a fan edited documentary I'm making.

When I first tried to learn more about classic Who, I found two documentaries: 1993's "Thirty Years in the TARDIS" and 2003's "The Story of Doctor Who." While both are excellent, it wasn't until I saw both that I really felt like I understood anything about the classic era. Both of them only seemed to have about half the necessary info. So I decided to combine them into one long documentary.

It wasn't as simple as just sticking one documentary on the end of another, though. Naturally, I had to put all of the First Doctor footage together, then all the second Doctor footage, etc. (There are a lot of clips that are associated by theme rather than era; I left those sections as they were.) Then, because both specials reuse some of the same footage from episodes, I had to make sure that no footage was repeated.

The hardest part was probably when new interview dialogue existed over footage that had already been seen as part of the other documentary. I had to eliminate the footage and replace it with something else so I could keep the audio, or if it was in the same general section, stretch the footage out to cover more than one audio clip. It was pretty daunting at times!

I'm almost done with the classic era; now I'm looking to finish the documentary off with information about the post-1989 period to today, which neither of the documentaries cover. I have some good footage of Russell T. Davies talking about his four years on the show, but if anyone knows where I can legally obtain some documentary footage on the 1996 TV movie or some footage with Steven Moffat, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan talking about the current series, I would really appreciate the tip.

I also have some footage of RTD, Moffat and David Tennant talking about the classic Doctors which I intend to sprinkle throughout the documentary. I believe that I also came across some footage of Matt Smith also talking about the classic Doctors, but I can't remember where I saw it. If anyone could jog my memory, again, I would appreciate it.

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the video footage. As with the Holiday Special, the source material is just not all that great. The source in this case is (are?) old VHS tapes. If anyone has any suggestions for improving the quality, I'm willing to listen, but I honestly think this is as good as it's going to get.

If you're unfamiliar with the specials, you can find "The Story of Doctor Who" in its entirety on YouTube, and watch a few minutes of that for comparison purposes. At this point I need to stress that both documentaries are currently commercially unavailable. I actually wish that the BBC would re-release these documentaries on DVD, because that would give me better source material from which to ply my trade. In the meantime, I don't think I'm breaking any rules of the site by mentioning that there's a commercially unavailable special on YouTube. I'm not including the links, and I'll happily amend this statement if asked to do so.

Well, enough blathering from me. Here's Part 1 (the first 10 minutes or so). I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to the feedback!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All the current Doctor Who dvd sets have lots of interviews and Dr. Who Confidential, so I imagine there is tons of stuff you could use.

Does the dvd release of 1996 have any bonus features you could use?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, with the Confidential stuff, they're usually just talking about specific episodes. I'm talking about Steven Moffat explaining how and why he hired Matt Smith, and all that. But maybe I need to check again.

Thanks for the tips!

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I know the special edition of The Movie has a fair share of features, but I honestly haven't looked at it yet so I can't help. I know McGann did a commentary with McCoy for it though so perhaps that will be helpful. As for Matt Smith era stuff, the Eleventh Hour Confidential I'm sure covers it a little.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome!!!!!

What's especially nice is that the age of the actors isn't even a factor in an audio production.

We may not get a multi-Doctor story in the new series (at least not with classic Doctors), so I'll really be looking forward to this!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, even though we'll only have about 10 episodes this year (plus the 2-hour TV-movie about the show's origins), BBC America is smartly keeping us fans happy with related programming.

First, the network is airing a series of specials about each Doctor, starting with a William Hartnell retrospective at the end of this month. Ordinarily I find the specials boring because they're only about the post-2005 episodes, but I look forward to some old-school reminiscing.

Also, BBCA will air the 8-part mystery/drama Broadchurch later this year -- a miniseries which features both David Tennant and Arthur Darvill! (Ooh, the fan edits that can be produced out of this footage . . . )

And the miniseries is written by frequent DW contributor Chris Chibnall.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bbc-america-acquires-broadchurch-starring-408892

Then there's Spies of Warsaw featuring Tennant, which airs later this month (I believe), and some project featuring Tennant and Karen Gillan (!) which is apparently still in the works.

Meanwhile, Law & Order UK continues with Freema Ageyman and (Fifth Doctor) Peter Davison; and Russell T. Davies' new show, Wizards and Aliens (basically, Harry Potter battles space monsters), is intended to fill the gap of the missing Sarah Jane Adventures and apparently has a lot of SJA alumni working on it.

(Sorry that I don't have more links for you, but it seems that BBC America does a pretty horrible job of advertising its stuff online.)

Anyway, lots of fun stuff to keep us busy.

wolfcarnage

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Long Time Doctor Who fan myself.. seen almost all doctor who fan made love the Master from the Destiny In Doctors Game in the USA movie, I have every single episode which includes the reconstructions.. and totally love the Daleks as a kid and now at 34. I am also happy that Leela and Tom Baker have made a return in the new FInnish Audios.. nice to know there is a Doctor Who thread on fan edit :)))

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome to the forums, wolfcarnage! Glad to have another Doctor Who fan aboard. :)

In general, to everyone, forgive me if I've posted this here before, but I don't think I have . . .

As we've been discussing, this is the 50th anniversary of Who, and while we don't know what Steven Moffat is planning, the fans' hope is that there will be some kind of multi-Doctor story, as has been done in the previous anniversaries.

Well, a very clever fan editor came up with the following fake trailer. (Not me! I wish I could take credit for the brilliance of this.) There's no guarantee that this is what we'll actually see, but it's a great showcase for what could be.

I get chills every time I watch this. It's amazing. :)

wolfcarnage

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That trailer is pretty cool Tom.. It would be sweet.. I was disappointed how in the new doctor who series they rarely showed clips of the past doctors.. I was overjoyed when they showed that flashback of a second of each doctor.. Before the 9th went to kill that villain. It would be interesting if something like dimensions in time could happen.. But Nicholas Courtney etc...

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was disappointed how in the new doctor who series they rarely showed clips of the past doctors..

I'm glad you liked the trailer, but I'm not sure what your complaint is in the comment above, exactly. Most Doctor Who seasons don't have clips of earlier Doctors; why would that be a problem all of a sudden this season?

Also, if anything, Moffat's run on Doctor Who has featured more callbacks in one form or another to classic Who. The whole climax of "The Eleventh Hour" (Matt Smith's first episode) had clips of all the previous Doctors. "The Doctor's Wife" contained many episodes from the 1969 serial "The War Games." "The Power of Three" had the return of UNIT, the Brigadier's daughter, and even a reference to the Zygons!

So I'm not sure what you mean about the series not giving enough respect to the previous Doctors. But maybe there's something I'm missing in your comments.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pretty interesting interview about the upcoming season and 50th....

Top Bottom