• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Doctor Who has never made any sense. The fact some people are only now starting to question it's logistics makes me seriously think there just getting too old for the programme.

I've questioned it since it restarted. For a time-travel show, they're pretty shit at continuity.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
I've questioned it since it restarted. For a time-travel show, they're pretty shit at continuity.

I think the classic stuff was as bad, if not worse, when it came to the continuity. Oh, well. :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I enjoy Moffat's work. And I enjoyed RTD's run too. They both made great, good and bad Who episodes.

Sure. But I think that the ratio of bad episodes in RTD's day was higher. MUCH higher.

bionicbob said:
And even many "bad" Who episodes are better than a lot of the dreck on television.

We certainly agree there!

bionicbob said:
And as I said, emotionally this final performance of the Ponds really hit me hard. I loved it in that respect.

Well said!

bionicbob said:
For instances, if Amy Pond edited the mystery novel and wrote an afterward for the Doctor, then yes, clearly this whole adventure was a Fixed Point in history, but then shouldn't Amy's name have been on the Tombstone along with Rory's from the beginning?

Hmm. That made sense to me when I watched it, but I can't quite explain it now. I'll have to watch it again and see if I can give you a credible explanation.

bionicbob said:
And while it is was TOTALLY COOL having the Statue of Liberty as a Weeping Angel, it doesn't make any sense.
In a city that never sleeps, there is no way the Statue could have travelled around New York without being seen.
So yes, a very exciting and cool visual, but even by Doctor Who standards and rules, very unbelievable.

Of course no one saw the Statue of Liberty moving. The statues can only move when they aren't seen! :D

(I know that's not what you mean. I'm just being a smart aleck.)

I guess I'm OK with it because the whole story doesn't hinge on the one Statue, and also, after the Ponds create the paradox, the Statue never moved anyway. :)

bionicbob said:
I love Doctor Who. Really I do.
In fact, I think most people who post in this thread still love the show on some level or they would not continue to tune in to watch.
But just because we love it, doesn't mean we can't question it or be disappointed or hoped for some other outcome.

But despite my few and occasional nit picks,
the show is immensely entertaining and I always look forward to the next adventure. :)

Sure, that all makes sense. You've very eloquently stated your case.

I guess I just get frustrated with fandom in general. It seems like people hated the RTD era when it was new and different, and now that Moffat is here, a lot of fans hate his stuff just because it's new and different. I've read so many posts lately pining nostalgically for the RTD era! (Not on this forum, mind you.) These type of fans won't like anything as long as it's new. And I'm afraid that if people keep complaining, Moffat will leave, and the next producer will give us more cheesy stuff like "Love and Monsters," "The Daleks in Manhattan," "The End of Time," etc., etc.

But, at any rate, you're all welcome to your opinions, and you've stated them very well. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have your tissue ready before watching this....

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's lovely and amazing. I wish it could have been included in the show somehow.

I was wondering why there was all this buildup with Rory's dad and then nobody went back to him in the final episode!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw this on a friend's FB feed. Lovely indeed, and I think it's absolutely ripe for fanediting. Surely there's footage somewhere of Mark Williams reading a letter or something. Might require some rearranging if a suitable substitute for Anthony couldn't be found to provide the hug, but I bet some kind of reconstruction should be possible.

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brilliant, this is how it should've ended.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Those are both excellent! It was a nice treat to get both at once.

Also, I love Strax. :)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Less than a week to go.... :)

......to the end of life as we know it. Glad you're excited.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
......to the end of life as we know it. Glad you're excited.

Don't worry, I plan on jumping into my TARDIS on the 21st and rebooting the Universe.
All will be good. :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually saw an Internet meme on Facebook that said:

"When you get up on the morning of Dec. 22, run outside your house and yell, 'He did it! The Doctor saved us!'"

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching the Snowmen, and had a great time!

Thoroughly entertained from start to finish. Again the "fairy tale" feel of Moffett's run is very strong.

I want a Vasha series now!!! LOL! Though I have to ask my far more knowledgeable Whovians, has Sherlock Holmes (or Arthur Conan Doyle) ever appeared in the old Doctor Who series?

The mystery of Oswin continues.... I wonder if it will connect in anyway to the Silence storyline/prophecy from the previous series? It is odd that so far it has been generally ignored, unless you counted the repeated question of "Doctor...who?".

Also, I am assuming the unresolved "Great Intelligence" thread will lead to the Big Bad for the series? I wonder if it will be a returning foe or a new villain?

The new TARDIS design is nice. The console looks even more like a throw back to the 1970s and 80s, while the rest of the interior is very fantastical in design.

Really looking forward to the remainder of series seven in April.:)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still thinking about the episode, but definitely an intriguing way to (sort of) reboot the series without changing Doctors.

Not sure about Conan Doyle or Holmes per se, but the Victorian setting and (at one point) the Doctor's outfit had me immediately thinking of the classic The Talons of Weng-Chiang, in which the Doctor investigated a mystery while dressed like Holmes:

The%20Talons%20of%20Weng-Chiang%20%281%29.jpg

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
At last a doctor who christmas special that didn't have me losing attention. Smith's first outing felt like an excuse to sell Cat Jenkins albums and last years was just silly.

Oswin feels more like the type of character they wanted River Song to be, but didn't quite know how to execute as a character, she's going to be an excellent sidekick, potentially the best of the nu who run. Roll on 2013.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought that it was terrific. (spoilers ahead)

Clara is great fun (and, yes, I've already fallen madly in love with her); Strax is hilarious; I thought the Snowmen were creepier than they originally looked in the previews; I loved the one-word response "Pond"; I was completely taken off guard by Clara dying again; and I think the new mystery -- about how and why she keeps appearing throughout the universe -- is an intriguing one.

I loved the new opening titles, especially with the hint of Matt Smith's face, hearkening back to the days of many of the classic Doctors having their faces in the opening credits.

I loved the new TARDIS interior. The console is very retro (which is perfect for the 50th anniversary season), but overall, the interior has a completely distinctive look to it.

My only complaint is that Richard E. Grant didn't have a lot of interesting things to do. He performed his role well, but the character didn't have a lot of depth to him. But other than that, I was quite happy!

2010's "Christmas Carol" is still the home run of Christmas episodes, but this one was a solid base hit.

Bob: To more fully answer your question, I investigated Sherlock Holmes at the TARDIS Wiki (which I highly recommend to anyone). Apparently, he's been treated as a real person in many of the comic books, novels and audio dramas, but he's never been seen onscreen in the series. This episode was his first mention in the new series, and Moffat treated him as flat-out fictional -- which is a hilarious in-joke, since Moffat also writes the BBC's Sherlock in which he's very much a real person!

According to this episode, Arthur Conan Doyle based Sherlock and Watson on Madame Vastra and her companion, but according to one of the audiobooks, Doyle based the character on Jago and Litefoot, two characters who first appeared in the above pictured classic story "The Talons of Weng Chiang"!

As for a Vastra spinoff, Moffat even mentioned that very idea to the head of BBC, who loved it, but then Moffat realized he's already too busy. As for me, I just want more episodes of Doctor Who per year. And I want more of Strax, too. :)

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
watched The Snowmen this morning. have to say that enjoyed it immensely. it was definitely a much better episode than The Doctor, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. still haven't seen 2010's A Christmas Carol just yet. going to be getting around to it soon. Clara is a great character. Definitely fell in love with her character. i actually enjoy and like Clara a lot more than I did River Song. She's already one of my favorites (tho, still miss The Ponds). enjoyed the one word response too.

Strax is a great character. as well as Vastra. would love to see more of them in the series. only wish that The Snowmen was a little bit longer. and that we get more Who episodes.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 50th anniversary of Doctor Who is November 23, 2013.

On Clara Owsin's tombstone it states her birthday is November 23.

It also states she was 26 when she died.

Doctor Who was cancelled in its 26th season.

The plot thickens.... ;-)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting stuff, Bob! And since Moffat has been documented as planning what he wanted to do with the Doctor many, many years before he became showrunner and is well-known for paying attention to obscure details, it's almost certainly not coincidental...

I wonder whether that also gives us another clue: November 22, 1963 was when Doctor Who was supposed to premiere, but it was pushed back a day due to the assassination of JFK. Lee Harvey Oswald and Clara Oswin Oswald...hmm...back to another "kill the Doctor" plot somehow, perhaps?

Top Bottom