• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see your point, lpd. It's hard to shake other associations with actors, certainly. But for me, Doctor Who is my first exposure to McCoy, so that's the only thing I see him as! :)

I didn't care for McCoy's regeneration either. The Doctor has faced down armies of aliens, beings of ultimate power in the universe - but he can't outwit a couple of cheap thugs in an alley? He deserved a better exit on that.

(On a side note, today is both Sylvester McCoy's and Sophie Aldred's birthday! Happy b-day, you two - on the extremely unlikely chance that you'll come here and read this.) ;-)

Shifting away from McCoy but continuing to focus on the Doctor: One thing that struck me about the previews for the upcoming episode - the Western-themed one, particularly - is that it reminded me a lot of Back to the Future III. Time travelers; Old West; anachronistic technology in the period; etc.

Since BTTF III is one of my all-time favorite movies, that's not necessarily a bad thing. :) But it tickled me nonetheless. So I couldn't resist doing a mashup of the footage from the first trailer (not the one I posted earlier in this thread, but the first trailer, which focused much more heavily on the Western episode) with the music from the BTTF III trailer.

(Specifically, the BTTF III trailer that I'm thinking of is the one that's on the end of II after the cliffhanger.)

So I just knocked this one out for fun. I didn't make everything fit 100%, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well some of the stuff does fit. (And I used just a tiny bit of footage from another Doctor Who episode to make it work.)

Anyway, here's the finished product. Enjoy!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very clever Tom! Put a big smile on my face!!! :)

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very enjoyable:) Lookin forward to the new series.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, lpd!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Moffat and co. have in store for us, too.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Doctor Who returns on both sides of the pond on Sept. 1st.

Leading up to it, there will be a 5 part mini-webisode series about the life of Amy and Rory, called Pond Life.
It will air both the BBC websites and their Youtube page.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I saw that announcement, too, but didn't have a chance to post it here. How exciting! I'm so glad that the wait is almost over. :)

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was born in 1967 and remember the tail end of Jon Pertwee's doctor. But it was during Tom Baker's run that I became quite a fan. After him I just couldn't get into it again and have only seen the Paul McGann TV movie which I thought was ok'ish and the first Christopher Eccleston episode which I didn't care for. I tried again with a David Tennant when a friend made me watch an episode featuring the Weeping Angels. That was excellent. But it never got me back into the show.

Another friend tried to get me into Torchwood and I think I watched three episodes of that, but I found it absolutely terrible.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, there's very little to recommend about Torchwood, unfortunately.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm. I like the various shots of the Doctor, but I thought this web series was called "Pond Life." The Ponds only appear for two seconds at the end.

Also, these little clips make me want to see the episodes that they're attached to - except that they don't exist.

Probably not worth getting worked up over, though. Today's effort gets a shrug from me. I hope tomorrow's is better.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it was hilarious.

It also another hint at this whole other world of adventures the Doctor is constantly having (much like the NIGHT LIFE shorts from Series 5) whenever he is out of sight, it adds to his mystery and epic nature.

Plus, it is a FREE little adventure from the BBC, so I am not going to complain.:)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Posted this in the Star Wars thread, but I maybe it should be posted here too...

I think this is BRILLIANT FUN! :D

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, the Pond Life thing was fun and cute, not just exactly what I was looking for. Not a big deal, though. We still have four more to go!

And the SW/DW thing is fun. But why are the Doctors fighting against the Jedi?

Still, "Now there are two of them!" now has yet another funny connotation to it! I certainly can't complain about that! :D

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's episode 2:

I like this one much better. The Ponds were in it for longer today. Very funny character interactions, too. "The future is really . . . safe."

Of course, the Doctor is still front and center, which I suppose I should have expected. I guess I put too much emphasis on that title at first.

Can't wait for tomorrow's!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"We have rules about the bedroom!" :lol::lol::lol:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My reaction to this one: Um . . . huh?

It would almost be funny, but I was waiting for an explanation as to why . . . um, that . . . was in their bathroom.

Maybe that's tomorrow.

Top Bottom