If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Doctor Who
(11-28-2018, 02:45 AM)wilhelm scream Wrote: Because I watched the first episode, and I hated it. Tried watching others and rage-quit over how bad they were.

I see.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
(11-28-2018, 02:45 AM)wilhelm scream Wrote: ... Tom Baker's final season is coming to blu-ray: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/...n-blu-ray/

So they are not going to release the Tom Baker era on Blu Ray in sequence?  
Odd.
Frustrating.
Timey-whimey.
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
That's been rumoured for ages.  It was supposed to be Pertwee season 10, but someone got excited and commissioned S18 first.  Expect S10 afterwards, and then S26.  As to why they aren't doing S7-S9, the early Pertwee seasons have a lot of issues in regards to their format, color, and so on, that it would be a huge pain to restore and get up to Blu-ray quality.

As to why we aren't getting S13 first...  maybe they want to keep the best sellers for later on in the range to keep its momentum.  Tom's early seasons are guaranteed best sellers.  They can release one of his seasons for every two other Doctors, who have proven to be far less popular.  They know the show got weaker in the 80s, they're not going to go chronologically and risk killing the range before it's complete.
"Everything ends and it's always sad.  But everything begins again too and that's always happy.  Be happy." ~ The Doctor
I imagine anything pre Tom Baker will be released last/later because those Doctors still have many episodes missing and/or not in colour and/or without animated replacements.
(11-28-2018, 04:39 PM)TM2YC Wrote: I imagine anything pre Tom Baker will be released last/later because those Doctors still have many episodes missing and/or not in colour and/or without animated replacements.

Pertwee S10 is confirmed next.  So I'd amend that to pre-Pertwee.  S18 was a last minute addition.

[Image: U40xR2j.png]
"Everything ends and it's always sad.  But everything begins again too and that's always happy.  Be happy." ~ The Doctor
I'm personally looking forward to a season 21 blu-ray release the most, as it contains my favourite story of all time (the Caves of Androzani).
(11-28-2018, 03:13 PM)Handman Wrote: That's been rumoured for ages.  It was supposed to be Pertwee season 10, but someone got excited and commissioned S18 first.  Expect S10 afterwards, and then S26.  As to why they aren't doing S7-S9, the early Pertwee seasons have a lot of issues in regards to their format, color, and so on, that it would be a huge pain to restore and get up to Blu-ray quality.

As to why we aren't getting S13 first...  maybe they want to keep the best sellers for later on in the range to keep its momentum.  Tom's early seasons are guaranteed best sellers.  They can release one of his seasons for every two other Doctors, who have proven to be far less popular.  They know the show got weaker in the 80s, they're not going to go chronologically and risk killing the range before it's complete.

This makes a ton of sense but feels like it shouldn't have to be that way. Probably because I'm American and entitled and I'm used to shows and movies having all the money for this kind of thing sorted out before the product is even made. Idk, that's probably not even an accurate assessment.

It's like the Classic Who franchise is just some regular schlub like me, living paycheck to paycheck.
// IdeasIdea Central //
(11-28-2018, 05:08 PM)Handman Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 04:39 PM)TM2YC Wrote: I imagine anything pre Tom Baker will be released last/later because those Doctors still have many episodes missing and/or not in colour and/or without animated replacements.

Pertwee S10 is confirmed next.  So I'd amend that to pre-Pertwee.  S18 was a last minute addition.

[Image: U40xR2j.png]

Oh neat Smile . I went and had a look on Wikipedia and Season-10 has every episode on "PAL 2" colour videotape" except Ep3 of 'Planet of the Daleks' is available in a colourised "Chroma dot colour recovery and Manual recolourisation hybrid". IIRC an impressive computer algorithm recovered the original colours by analysing a black and white 16mm copy of the episode.

Looking at more of Wikipedia, S9 looks almost complete too, but S8 and S7 are missing most of the colour originals. I watched Pertwee out of sequence, giving me the impression that all his seasons were somewhat patchy.
An amusing and clever Season 18 blu ray trailer....

"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
^ Yeah that's very H2G2 Smile.

Random thought about the current show:

I missed having a mix of companions when it was just Doctor+20-something-girl, I liked it when it was 2 or 3 people in the old days. So I welcomed the change in this current series. However, was it perhaps a mistake to bring back that old aspect of the format, while still exploring the deeper character stuff of the new show. Resulting in too much screen-time needing to be devoted to developing all 3 of them and not enough time spent on the Doctor, the adversaries and the story in general.

Don't get me wrong, I like all three new companions... in this order:

1. Graham
2. Yasmin
3. Ryan