• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Help on how to achieve a couple of image special effects

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I have Adobe Photoshop Elements at my disposal, but I don't know if that and/or filters using VirtualDub or avisynth would help me (or be enough) to achieve what I'm after.

1) First Image Effect:

Here are some examples of an effect I'd like to mimic. Sort of making a photo look like a pencil etching outline:
These two screencaps are not the greatest quality, so if anyone is interested it's from
"[/video] (the image effect starts at around 1:32 into the trailer) *but im not looking to do anything crazy like the actual shift from regular -> the red background with black stenciling effect, i just want to be able to duplicate this for some still images*

djangounchained1.jpg

djangounchained2t.jpg

2) Second Image Effect:
casademipadre1.jpg

casademipadre2.jpg

So for these, I'm interested in figuring out how to do two things. The first, is the kind of messy paintbrush strokes and the second is the kinda of tint and/or filter used on the photos of the actors.

I don't have Adobe Premiere or anything like that but *fingers crossed* I'm hoping I won't need much more than photoshop.

Any suggest tips or just a nudge in the right direction to help me figure out these two effects would be greatly appreciated!

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1222c07.jpg

About the second image effect... The example i made here isn't exactly like the original picture but i made it in 2 minutes in Photoshop mind you. If you think it is a good alternative i could help you on how to do it. (and i was looking for an excuse to photoshop something with wisseau in it):p

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
1222c07.jpg

About the second image effect... The example i made here isn't exactly like the original picture but i made it in 2 minutes in Photoshop mind you. If you think it is a good alternative i could help you on how to do it. (and i was looking for an excuse to photoshop something with wisseau in it):p

Great story g1or! You think of everything! Anyway, how's your sex life? Ummm I mean, yes the above Tommy Wiseau image effect is badass! LOL! Damn. Yep any help on how to do that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
but i made it in 2 minutes in Photoshop mind you.

:laugh: Ha ha, the Photoshop wizard strikes. Don't try this at home kids, you might melt a few pixels.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol g1or, we get it. You're better than us. Now help Gatos GDI.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 2 mins bit was referring more to the fact that it is not that hard and time consuming to do. And i PMed Gatos about it.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Necro-ing my own thread. Figure I'd add to this thread than needlessly start a new thread. I'm going internet green, baby!

So I have another image effect question. I'm wondering if there is a good way to make a picture of a napkin, with writing on it in pen. I don't have a digital camera, so I'm not gonna write on a napkin myself and take a picture.

I'm shooting for something like this:

Obviously I don't want that exact text, but I'm looking for a way to make the text look natural in terms of looking like its not superimposed on the napkin but make it look like it was actually written on it. I've already found some font styles that look like handwriting.

I'm working with photoshop elements

Any ideas?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Do you have a scanner?

Ah-Ha! Yes I do. Well I don't own one but I have access to one.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How about a phone from this century?

funny-gifs-aww-snap.gif

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How about just asking someone to do it for you?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
How about just asking someone to do it for you?

An even better idea. Yes, I am an idiot :oops:

Soooo, on that note, anyone want to help me out? Shoot me a PM if you could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I suddenly love this thread.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:

Necro-ing my own thread yet again. So [MENTION=11896]g1orkatsos[/MENTION] has been MIA for a long time :( (come back, buddy, we miss you!). And he never PMed me how to do these effects, which he did a good job of mimicking:

1222c07.jpg

So, any other photoshop gurus care to help me out with this effect? I want to do something similar for an opening credits sequence. I'm a master of rendering lossless 16:9 black screens with 5.1 channel audio silence, so keep that in mind (it's not like I'm bringing nothing to the table here, folks :p)

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I'll make a guess. For the color stripes, select a natural brush, set the flow to around 30%, scribble in the stripes. If you don't like the default brushes do a Google search for 'Photoshop rough brush' and pick a set that looks good.

Use a selection tool to trace the outline of Tommy Wisseau, paste it into a new layer. Make him all one color: adjust the Hue and Saturation with Colorize. Put a border around him: choose Layer Style, add a stroke, adjust color and size.

Add text.

Takes more than 2 minutes, that's for sure.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
Okay, I'll make a guess. For the color stripes, select a natural brush, set the flow to around 30%, scribble in the stripes. If you don't like the default brushes do a Google search for 'Photoshop rough brush' and pick a set that looks good.

Use a selection tool to trace the outline of Tommy Wisseau, paste it into a new layer. Make him all one color: adjust the Hue and Saturation with Colorize. Put a border around him: choose Layer Style, add a stroke, adjust color and size.

Add text.

Takes more than 2 minutes, that's for sure.

Thanks [MENTION=9288]Brumous[/MENTION]!

Top Bottom