• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Plan 2001 From Outer Space

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

plan_2001_front.jpg

Fanedit Film Name Plan 2001 From Outer Space
Faneditor Name Adabisi
Original Film Name 2001: A Space Odyssey
Fanedit Type True FanEdit
Original Running Time 141 minutes
Original Release Date
Fanedit Running Time
80 minutes
Fanedit Release Date
August 2012
Amount of time cut 61 minutes
IFDB Link

Brief Synopsis
This edit removes the art-film pretentiousness from The Greatest Movie Ever Made and turns it into a fun, faster paced sci-fi flick while still retaining what little plot there was to begin with. Kubrick fanboys are advised to stay far, far away.

Intention

I felt like destroying something beautiful.

Edit Details

Outright removed or shortened many frivolous scenes to get to the core of the film. Some frivolous scenes remain only to stand there and be mocked for their frivolity. Replaced and added to the entire musical score. I tried to make changes to the score have some sort of unique meaning - sometimes synching through musical or lyrical cues, sometimes for a laugh, sometimes for an "I see what you did there" moment or sometimes just plain fun.

Cut-List

Cut:
-3 minutes of blank screen and opening credits
-Dawn of Man segment removed
-docking the spaceship shortened
-Floyd's video call to his daughter removed
-conversation with Russian astronauts shortened
-landing on the Moon shortened
-changing the AE-35 shortened
-Intermission removed
-Dave returning to Jupiter One and killing HAL removed
-Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite shortened
-various small chops here and there to help the pace
-rearranged the order of many scenes

Added:
Completely new score featuring music from James Brown, Flight of the Conchords, Pink Floyd and many more.

Special Notes

Plan 2001 From Outer Space is a spectacular movie that grows even more wondrous with each viewing. Adabisi's masterpiece has awesome scope, touching the limits of interplanetary space and penetrating man's inner destiny. "A uniquely poetic piece of science-fiction," raved some nut on teh intarwebs, "hypnotically entertaining; technically and imaginatively it is staggering." His mom said, "Adabisi's special effects border on the miraculous - a quantum leap in quality over any sci-fi film ever made." As producer, director and writer of the screenplay, Adabisi brought complex ideas to the screen with astounding immediacy that won him a much-deserved Fanedit Razzie Award. Moving from the prehistoric birth of intelligence to the emergence of man as pure thought, Plan 2001 From Outer Space is a brilliant achievement and a remarkable theatrical experience. The entire film is a stunning sensuous marvel - a cinematic experience like no other before or since.

Plan 2001 From Outer Space: the more you see it, the more you'll see in it.

Release information AVI

Cover Art

plan_2001_3Dview.jpg

This fanedit is available via usenet and can be found on info.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome back Adabisi. Glad to see you putting out new edits, as well as re-uploading old edits to usenet. :)

Adabisi said:

Intention

I felt like destroying something beautiful.

Nice. :lol:

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol. I'll watch it just for the stated "Intention" alone!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the disc art! :lol:

SeaCom

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha. Finally. Looking forward to what you do with this.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sounds gonzo.

any plans to store this outside of usenet?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^when hairy met sully.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm amazed you three responded in the same order.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plans within plans within an enig. . . eneg. . . an enema.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't make this, but if I were to make a trailer for this edit, it would look a little like this.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice!

If Kubrick were alive today he would have killed himself if that was an official trailer for 2001.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Im not exactly sure what i think of this one yet. For me i felt the title "plan 2001 from outer space" tells me it will be a cheaper sci fi version of the movie more like plan 9, but what i got was both a nicely boiled down version of the movie and some brilliant musical parts but i felt like i was watching two different edits at the same time, and for me it didn`t quite gel.
One could easily take the structure of this edit and instead of the 70`s music use 50`s B-movie themes in there place for a very retro feel, but the way adabisi has it i feel like the non musical parts need a little extra something to help them fit in with the great musical parts.

For the structure of the edit, if it is meant to be like a cheap B-movie, i would give that a 8 out of 10 for execution.

The musical parts are an easy 10 out of 10.

But on the whole I give it a 7 out of 10.

Side notes: What gem said: "f you are a 2001 fan and music fan, I would recommend this. If not, it might not be up your alley"
Those musical parts are truly great and rather enjoyable.

Top Bottom