• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Windows 8

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I played with the consumer preview a few months back and wasn't that impressed. It's definitely geared towards tablets and not desktops which is somewhat of a shame. But, now that MS has announced it will be released October 26, 2012 for an unbelievable low price of $40. While I'd like to think I could restrain myself from upgrading I am one of those that like the latest, so I'll probably pick up a copy since it's really not that expensive. And who knows... between the consumer preview and final product there could be some massive improvements.

Is anyone else going to spring for the upgrade? What did you think of the consumer preview if you tried it?

While having some nice features, until they get rid of the metro interface for the desktop versions 8 can go fuck itself.

I tested the preview of 8 for 15 min before uninstalling.

They took the statt menu away and added a tablet like menu.

I have a fucking PC! Not a damn tablet.

M$ followed their every other OS habbit.

W7 awesome w8 sucks so therefore whatever is after 8 should be great

I actually emailed them a while back. The standard desktop is still available if you so choose - it just hasn't been a big selling point because it isn't new. I personally am excited about Windows 8 because of the desktop setup options: You will have the option to go dual screen with Metro on one, and the standard w/ start menu on the other. This setup seems very convenient to me, even if I am very happy with Windows 7. I've never liked the extended desktop option, and having two different desktops, both equally good for certain tasks, should be great.

Example:

The standard desktop may be available but the start menu is gone forever, that's why I'm so pissed off with 8.

nOmArch said:
The standard desktop may be available but the start menu is gone forever, that's why I'm so pissed off with 8.

Right now there is a hack you can install that brings it back. But I have heard MS is trying to prevent it from working in the final version. In any event, I suspect a third party will create a program that will bring it all back.

I was thinking about going for the upgrade because of the price, but after reading the comments here, I think I'm gonna stick with Win7. I have it set to Windows 'Classic' theme with Classic Shell from Sourceforge filling in the stuff taken away in Vista and 7. In Windows 7 the status bar in Explorer doesn't show the free disk space and the size of the selected files. Classic Shell Explorer fixes that. Is that feature back in Win8? Or is it still missing? I can't risk not being able to make my desktop and folders look like Windows 95! I'm serious!

I can't see a benefit of Windows 8. Whilst Win7 was welcomed after the disaster of Vista, this just feels unecessary. From an end user perspective, Windows 8 means relearning how things work, changing the way you work and making things more cumbersome to do. So why get Win8? MS realise this and this is why they're offering very cheap upgrade options.

If I got it, it would have to be hacked to get the Windows button back - and get rid of Metro - which as already mentioned is great for Tablets, but not PC's and laptops.

I'm still on XP - on a comp that I got in 2005. This is my third comp and the longest that I'd ever gone without getting a new comp (my second was in 2001, 6 years after my first and 4 years before my third). The Windows that I've had are Windows for Workgroups 3.11, 95 (upgrade, then went back to 3.11, then upgraded again), ME, and XP.

My mom got a new comp late last year. It has 7. It's okay, but I'm not crazy about it.

From what I understand with Windows 8 it defaults to Metro but you'll be able to default it to the regular desktop if you want. The question still remains about the Windows Orb though... but I guess there are creative ways around that problem. :p

Q2 said:
Right now there is a hack you can install that brings it back. But I have heard MS is trying to prevent it from working in the final version. In any event, I suspect a third party will create a program that will bring it all back.

Apart from the hack doesn't work on the latest RC we already tried that.

I didn't see any option in the latest version to turn off metro.

Like Star Trek movies, Windows is good every other release. I'll stick with XP and 7.

Yeah I spotted that in a TheRegister headline that Microsoft were dropping Metro unfortunately when I read the article it only said they were dropping the name. so we now will have Windows 8 Apps (metro) and Windows 8 Desktop Apps (non-metro).

That's not going to confuse people at all is it... lol

white43 said:
Interesting to note that Gabe Newell (Valve) has written off 8 as a catasrophe and is now getting a dedicated team to develop towards Linux. Early indicators are showing performance much improved over Windows.

BTW - 'Metro' is now called Windows 8. :|

Blizzard CEO as well as several others have expressed concern, though I think their fears are premature. It looks like they're afraid MS might lock down OS installation through the App Store only. This might happen, but is not the case in Windows 8 (yet).

I don't understand why Microsoft and Apple have to spit out these sloppy intermediate OS's in between stable versions. It seems to consistently go every other one. Mountain Lion is a disaster right now as well. Is the money really worth the hassle, support problems, and customer frustration?

Windows 7 and Lion work perfectly fine. I see no reason to upgrade any of my computers.

I don't do much with OS X these days, but I did install it on my Macbook Pro (use it for writing primarily) and it seems stable enough. I haven't had any issues.

Q2 said:
I don't do much with OS X these days, but I did install it on my Macbook Pro (use it for writing primarily) and it seems stable enough. I haven't had any issues.

You must have a 2011 or newer macbook pro then. I haven't upgraded and personally experimented but the word on the street is that 2010 or older models are super buggy with Mountain Lion.

Back
Top Bottom