• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Dark Knight

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, we're finally getting some juicy stuff.

joker-rachel-1_TDK.jpg

[youtube]
Spoiler Free Script Review

I'm excited. Who the hell can wait until next summer?!

Not a huge fan of the series... barring the first 2 films, and maybe the third. I didn't see Begins, because I figured it would suck, but heard good things about it (aside of course from a few annoyances)... but that teaser definitely has stricken a new interest in the Dark Knight for me. :)

Begins is a completely new start of the Batman franchise. Very realistic. I really loved it (read the leaked script already 6 months or so before the movie hit theatres). I really can't wait to see the Dark Knight and Nolan's approach on the Joker. Everybody is speculating about the Joker's scars.

Twistd, you must see Begins. I'm not a huge batman fan. No more than any other kid growing up. Begins is great cinema, not just as a batman movie, but american cinema in general. There is great music, writing and directing. The set work and lighting is incredible.

I was not interested in seeing the Prestige(not into magic). But I buckled and watched it. I thought it was incredible. Nolan is a true artist. See Begins if only to see him at work.

I liked the Prestige. Yeah, I think I'm gonna give Begins a watch ASAP. Looks like I might have to take a trip up to the video store and just rent the whole saga. Been a while since I've seen any of them really.

As much as I loved Batman Begins, I'm still REALLY struggling with this Joker. I'm trying to keep an open mind for now...but it's really different direction than I was thinking of.

Even though the tralier showed us nothing ........ i still got excited about
it. I think that this just might work.....Jack did a wonderful job in the
original 1988 batman. but if they take this new Joker to a darker place,
amore evil Joker, then that will work.

DonnieX said:
Jack did a wonderful job in the
original 1988 batman.
The only original Batman is the 1966 one!
[youtube]
Fuckin' A.

Anyhow, about the actual movie. I'm going batshit about it (Get it? Batshit instead of apeshit! Har har). The teaser itself is magnificent, and it allows for so much to be determined from it. First of all, the biggest thing revealed here is exactly what I wanted to know; the plot. It's pretty surely something along the lines of The Roman's relatives trying to get back at Batman, who in turn fucks them up. Or actually, The Roman could probably just be released from Arkham if they had the cure for the nerve toxin, which they do. Something goes wrong, or perhaps just Batman takes down too many mobsters. While this is going on, The Joker is born. Then, in desperation, The Roman&Co. turn to him for aid. What ensues is a battle that takes place throughout Gotham between The Joker and Batman.

Now, to the voice. It's absolutely stunning. Just listen to the pronounciation of "I'm a man of my word." Ledger uses the same type of style in talking as Bill Nighy in every single bad guy role he's ever had, kinda prolonging some words while using a hissing s. Regarding the laugh, it's also perfect. Now, I'll compare it to The Joker in the 1989-versio, but technically I could compare it with any other laugh an actor has made, except for a few exceptions. Listen to The Joker's laugh in the 1989 version. It's obviously acted. There's nothing wrong with that, it's impossible to truly act a laugh. But that laugh was controlled, it wasn't manic, it was handled as acting. Now, take a look at Ledger's laugh. It's uncontrolled, unsustained and undoubtedly great. He has managed to go to the next step from acting a laugh. He managed to create a laugh. I've heard my share of actually insane people cackling, and I can assure you, that is what it does sound like when they really get started.

Now, to the visuality of the teaser. It works. The thing with teasers is that there is absolutely no point whatsoever in watching them online, because you aren't meant to know what movie it is. Teasers are surprises. You're meant to watch them in front of movies in the theatres, and in the end you find out what the title of the movie is, or what movie it is. But since we view it over the internet, of course the experience is ruined since we already know what the movie is. As a theatrical experience, that teaser is brilliant, but as all good teasers, online it becomes somewhat useless in the element of surprise.

I seriously want this movie, NOW. 2008 is too far away :-(

DonnieX said:
if they take this new Joker to a darker place,
amore evil Joker, then that will work.

Well I'm all for a more evil Joker...but evil isn't enough. He's got to be CRAZY and unpredictable.
This Joker, to me, looks like a lipstick covered Michael Myers more than anything. His eyes are dark and empty when they should be wild and frightening. He's not even smiling.

twistd101 said:
I liked the Prestige. Yeah, I think I'm gonna give Begins a watch ASAP. Looks like I might have to take a trip up to the video store and just rent the whole saga. Been a while since I've seen any of them really.

Ok you do understand that Batman Begins has absolutely NO CONNECTION to the existing 4 Batman movies? It's like an offshoot comic, like Xmen compared to Marvel Zombies. Same characters, completely different idea, but based on the same source.

I loved Batman Begins far more than the other series, (although I really enjoyed the Tim Burton ones) principally because, they got the story right.
e.g. The Joker was never meant to have killed Batman's parents, in the comics it was always Joe Chill.

anyway, LOVE THAT JOKER....

Oh I know Begins is a completely different take on the Batman franchise... I was just saying it's been quite a while since I've seen any of them, kinda wanted to go back and watch them all, as the last time I saw the 2 Burton ones, I was too young to care. ;)

i?m a batman fan since my childhood. the movies were all crap since they didn?t show the dark knight but more the funny colorful knight. Batman Begins changed that. That movie made almost everything right.

this new joker? i didn?t care for movies with heth ledger in it. i guess this is going to change. he looks abolutely awesome. remember scarecrow in batman begins? that was a great part as well although he is completely different then in the comics...

can?t wait to see this movie....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heinrich said:
this new joker? i didn?t care for movies with heth ledger in it. i guess this is going to change. he looks abolutely awesome. remember scarecrow in batman begins? that was a great part as well although he is completely different then in the comics...

Well my issue with the Joker isn't that he doesn't look exactly like he does in the comics. That would be silly since he has lots of different looks anyway, depending on who the artist is.

This manip looks like no specific illustration of the Joker I've ever seen:

joker2ge1nx.jpg

But it's still a good design which works well with the essence of the Joker's character, and it's creepy as hell.

Nolan and Ledger's Joker? Meh...I'm just not feeling it. Time will tell though.

well well well........new batman suite.....looks like leather robocop :p

btw........in "batman begins" batmobile sucks too.......

Burton's Batman still best.

voodl said:
well well well........new batman suite.....looks like leather robocop
Appearances can be deceiving. I agree that the general look of the older batsuits was better, but the benefits of this new design merit the loss I think. In the article the photo was released with it basically explained that the new suit is actually a stretchable material with hard rubber plates on top of it. The segmented design means that we've got a Batman who's more maneuverability than ever before. He can even turn his head now.

Oh and, Bruce Timm's Batman is still the best.

TeresofBlood said:
I'm excited. Who the hell can wait until next summer?!
Well considering for me summer starts in December... I can!

twistd101 said:
Not a huge fan of the series... barring the first 2 films, and maybe the third. I didn't see Begins, because I figured it would suck, but heard good things about it (aside of course from a few annoyances)... but that teaser definitely has stricken a new interest in the Dark Knight for me. :)
I know others have already explained to you Begins is a brand new film series not based on any other previous cinema work ... but let me just say I liked the first 3 films. IE Batman 1966, Batman 1989 and Batman Returns 1992. Returns is a darker film then the 1989 batman movie, and the recent Begins is also a dark film - so if you liked Batman Returns I'd say you'll appreciate Begins - but they really are radically different.

Back
Top Bottom