• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Keep losing sound when ripping DVDs

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I just ripped the 1992 Buffy the Vampire Slayer film to my computer to begin to try to edit it.

First, I used DVDFab. Unfortunately, my free trial for both "DVD Copy" has expired. So I had to use "HD Decrypter" instead.

After pulling out the files as VTS's, I tried to demux with PGCDemux. But the program said that there were no IFO files for it to demux! I tried the first several VTS's, and PGCDemux didn't recognize any of them.

So I decide to play around with the movie for a while anyway, even if it has subtitles. I put the files into Any Video Converter. The program informs me, "The resulting outputted file will have no sound."

Hmm. That's no good. So I go back to my old standby, DVD Shrink. Everyone tells me it's terrible, but, hey, it's free. And I didn't have sound issues on any of my other DVDs that I ripped with it (just with the subtitles).

So I rip it and then I try to demux one file just as a test. PGCDemux claims that it demuxed it, but it did the process in 2 seconds, creating a very small file, so I have my doubts. Nonetheless, I put the file in Any Video Converter to see what happens.

Once again, I get the message, "The resulting output file will have no sound."

Just as a test, I try to put the other non-converted VTS files into AVC that were ripped from DVD Shrink. Again, "the resulting output files will have no sound."

I had no problems like this before with any of the other DVDs I ripped to my computer, including the Star Wars films, which are also from 20th Century Fox (and would likely have more copy protection on them, if anything). The problem I had before was simply with the subtitles. But I can't get either the subtitles removed or (apparently) get a version of the files with the sound on this film. Grrrrrrr! :|

Does anyone know how to deal with this? Feel free to just point me to the link if this has been answered before for someone else. Thanks!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What settings are you using with DVDFab? You should get several .IFO files (in addition to the .VOB files and other assorted stuff), and that is what you load into PDCDemux.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks so much, wabid (and the others)! I'll look into this and get back to you with an update.

mxgzx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right, stop using DVDShrink... not to mention all your conversions are scaring me.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dvd_decrypter/ use this to rip the dvd vob/ifo's. Then use DGIndex to load the vobs and demux the audio. You can also get a d2v file besides the audio stream which is useful.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mxgzx said:
Right, stop using DVDShrink... not to mention all your conversions are scaring me.

LOL! Believe me, they scare me, too. I was only doing what I thought was necessary.

So should I use DVD Encrypter after I use the other things that people recommend, or are you suggesting an alternative to them?

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mxgzx said:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dvd_decrypter/ use this to rip the dvd vob/ifo's. Then use DGIndex to load the vobs and demux the audio. You can also get a d2v file besides the audio stream which is useful.

There is nothing wrong with using dvd shrink, it can copy discs without compressing them. Just set it to dvd9 mode.

Dvd decrypter, dvdfab, dvdshrink, hd decrypter, and anydvd all do the same thing. Crack css with decss. Some advanced movies require the newer programs and I always suggest anydvd. You dont need to use all these programs. Once css is descrambled, I use vobmerge, and end up with a single mpeg file.

SOoo my suggestion is to install anydvd, and then use any program to copy the data off the disc (dvd decrypter, dvd shrink in dvd9 mode, they all will work.)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK. Thanks, wabid! I'll try that one for now. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try the others.

So once I install AnyDVD, do I re-rip the Buffy disc from scratch?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Done annnnnd . . . done.

Well, actually, I just started the process. But it was more fun to say that way. :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All righty. So I let AnyDVD rip the disc overnight.

My best guess at my next step was to run it through PGCDemux to get rid of the subtitles. I created a new folder, but PGCDemux would only let me select one file to demux at a time. OK, I put the first one in, and the program demuxed it in a couple of seconds. Then I tried to demux the next file, and the program told me that the current files in that folder would be overwritten if I continued.

I have twenty-two video files in that folder. Do I seriously have to create a new folder for every single one of them?? If that's how you all do it, that's fine. But I can't help but think that there's something wrong here.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You find the VTS that matches the length of your movie and demux that.

Mode: by PGC (check the radio button)
Domain: Titles (check the radio button)

That's all you have to do.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, we're on the right track.

But I'm looking at the files in Any Video Converter now to determine the length. (I'm not actually converting yet; I'm just looking at them in this program because it's the only way I know how to see the running time of the files.)

Several of the files are 2 minutes or less. However, once I get to VTS_05_1, the next seven files all have a running length of about 15 minutes. And that's it. There's none that says 1 hour and 25 minutes. So what should I be looking for here?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't look at the files in Video Converter to determine the length. You open them one by one in PGCDemux, and when you find the one that gives you the right length, you demux it. When I told you to find the VTS that matches the runtime of your movie, I assumed that you understood that you had to use the program that was being discussed to do so i.e. PGCDemux.

29e20pv.png

Here's an example. It's Star Trek II, which happened to be on my hard drive. I selected each file in turn until I found the one that gave the correct runtime of 1 hr, 52 min. See the red ring. This happened to be VTS_02_0.IFO, but it could have been any of them.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I already suggested installing http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en. It will come in handy, including finding file lengths.

VLC will open .ifo files and let you preview if you have the right stream.

The filenames should explain everything. VTS_0X_Y.VOB, the X indicated the stream and the y indicates the parts of a split file. The entire film should have the same X, the other ones are menus and extras. You should be able to figure out which stream is the full movie by looking at the file names alone (the set with the most files.)

There is a chance you are opening the wrong ifo file. Open the ifo that corresponds to the set with the most vob parts.

Also PgcDemux WILL give you a video with no sound, and a separate audio track. If you are looking for a single mpeg file with both streams, vobmerge is the tool you want, or could even use "copy /b" in the command prompt.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
When I told you to find the VTS that matches the runtime of your movie, I assumed that you understood that you had to use the program that was being discussed to do so i.e. PGCDemux.

Never underestimate my naivete! Neverrrrrrrr! ;) But, seriously, thanks. I've been so overwhelmed with all the different suggestions being thrown at me that if you hadn't circled that thing, I may never have found it!

So, now, do I need to run all of them through Any Video Converter, or just that one file?

EDITED TO ADD: Okay, I just tried to run it through AVC anyway while I was waiting for a response. Once again I got, "This file will not contain sound." Grrrr! Why? What do I do now???

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
So, now, do I need to run all of them through Any Video Converter, or just that one file?

You don't need to run anything through Any Video Converter. Where did you get the idea that you need to use this program?

You have separate video and audio files that you load into your editing program separately. If you want to edit video and audio together, there are ways of achieving that, but it is not necessary. What is your editing program anyway?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
You don't need to run anything through Any Video Converter. Where did you get the idea that you need to use this program?

Well, all I've done at this point is ripped the disc with AnyDVD, and got rid of the subtitles with PGCDemux. As far as I knew, I didn't yet have an editable file. I thought I was still working with a VTS file or something along those lines.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Well, all I've done at this point is ripped the disc with AnyDVD, and got rid of the subtitles with PGCDemux. As far as I knew, I didn't yet have an editable file.

You do, more or less, if you are using Womble. If you are using something else, such as Vegas or Premiere, then I advise you to make a lossless AVI, but you don't need Any Video Converter for that. You use DGIndex, Avisynth and Virtualdub to do it properly. See my post in this thread for starters.

Is your source NTSC?

Top Bottom