• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vinyl Collections

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With CD's & mp3's being v.popular formats, I'm curious to know if anyone here has a Vinyl collection & what their opinions are on how they sound.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i still have a vinyl collection. i occasianally still buy vinyl. I currently dont have a working turntable, but i really enjoy the sound of vinyl. i also hate mp3s

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vinyl's do sound better IMO. It's sometimes difficult to listen to new rock albums now cause they're so heavily compressed by digital equipment. Where as I can listen to an old Who record that's just as heavy & it doesn't do my ears in at all.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah, i love listening to sabbath on the turntable, but i also enjoy some of my newer ones one there too. At the Drive-In sounds great on vinyl!

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
my vynil collection is still in my living room although my turntable is in the cellar for years now. They still look so nice and there goes nothing over this neat format. cover artwork always looked better on vynil...

and there are these great little treasures which are impossible to get on cd. for example this one:

oldskullfb1.jpg

HC/Punk done by 8 year olds. it?s a classic...

:)

YourMamaVideo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Old Skull, man i haven't thought about them in years....wow....go heinrich.

i love vinyl.....it sounds the best.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i have a 300+ LP vinyl collection

i also have a lot of digital music (mp3, flac, mpc)

if done right, mp3's will sound as good as a CD. (that is the whole point)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
joebshmoe said:
if done right, mp3's will sound as good as a CD. (that is the whole point)

i think mp3's always show some signs of compression. if i have music in digital format, it is only a temp thing, and usually always flac

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
many people would agree with you :)

that being said, scientifically (ABX) many formats can attain compression that is not "perceivably different" - i.e. sounds the same.

check hydrogenaudio.org

(and i have ~100 GB in mpc, ~50 GB in mp3 and ~200 GB in lossless flac/shn/wv)

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First of all, even a really, really high quality, maxed out bitrate MP3 will still sound horrible to the trained ear. It's just a bad format. .WAV is better, but it's about as clunky as just carrying around your CDs anyway, because you'll even run out of HDD space if you keep it all virtual.

Along those lines, there really isn't any reason to go with CDs when LPs are there in the same album format. Analog does sound better than digital. It's more natural, and even though it won't last forever in that level of quality, it's better while it lasts.

Personally, I have about 35 albums (about a quarter are 2 LP sets) and I also have my dad's LPs & grandparent's 78's, the latter of which I've never listened to.

The only CDs I have are game soundtracks and one movie soundtrack.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
unfortunately i have to say that reality differs from your opinion.

and "WAV" is not a good format.

vinyl is not a better format than cd.

sorry.

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You better have some evidence if you expect me to do anything more than laugh if you simply say "sorry" and tell me things I've actually heard somehow don't exist as superior formats.

Take a CD (undeniably a better format than .MP3) and try this out:
Rip a song to .WAV
Rip it to .MP3

Listen to them and compare them.
Then convert the .WAV to .MP3 and the .MP3 to .WAV and see which one retains exact quality.

You should also try to find some newly sealed vinyl from the 1980s or early 90s to see how much better it is when well preserved. The sound is so much warmer, and apart from the overall better feel of it, there certainly aren't any disadvantages if you don't neglect the records.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
no i get it - you just don't know.

i'm not about to change your mind if your "evidence" is pure speculation.

forget i said anything.

if you actually want to learn about audio compression you'll find a way.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i can see this is turning into an argument on who thinks they know more on audio formats and compression. this argument will always rage on until the end of time no matter what forum you are in or where you are. In one corner there are the people who swear by their analog lossless formats, and others who swear technology can save the day and no one can tell that audio is compressed. i leave this debate to the rest of you

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
true TC.

anyway, fuck this modern dvd mpegII shit. I want my VCR back!!!!!!

;-)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
haha. i still use my vcr at times. that thing irritates me now that i have the luxary of chapter selection and such with dvds. but i will continue to use that precious gem.

But anyway, enough hijacking!!! :D I think I need to break down and finally get a new turntable. I want to give some of my LPs a spin :)

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i just broke out my turntable after 3 years of it collecting dust.

my wife's boss is a big blues fan also and we are "sharing" records each week :)

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The nicest suprise I had with vinyl's is when I bought The Beatles Red & Blue Albums. Man dad whenever he heard my Beatles cd's kept saying they didn't sound right, I of course knew better & dismissed him. Until I heard the old vynyls & realised they were much quicker, the pitch slightly higher & the songs were a lot better for it.

Anyway to hell with VCR'S & VHS... bring back BETAMAX!!!

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
FatherMerrin said:
Anyway to hell with VCR'S & VHS... bring back BETAMAX!!!

betamax was great!

my uncle had a video2000. you could use both sides of the tapes with a total length of 8 hours! but betamax had the greatest quality...

Top Bottom