• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

.nzb files

able_english

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am trying to learn how to use .nzb files to view fan-edits but am having problems...

Software:
Mac OS 10.5.5
Sabnzbd+
Binreader
Giganews (paid account- trial for 14 days)
Jdownloader
Firefox (if I use safari it automatically adds a .webloc or .xml extension to .nbz files i try to download to the desktop)

Things I've done:
- Found .nbz file (L8's DotE)
- used firefox to download link to desktop

Attempt 1:
- opened .nbz file with sabnzb+
- file begins to download
- nothing appears in temporary download folder (not incomplete nor complete)
- file completes its download
- when highlighting file in sabnzbd+ a message states "1411 articles missing"
- no files are automatically unpacked and nothing appears to have been downloaded to 'download folder'
- error message ("download failed- not in servers retention")

Possible Solution 1:
- messaged Q2 and he suggests that the account in use does not have access to files older than 'X' amount of days.
- Q2 also suggests I move to 'NewsDemon'.
- Can anyone second Q2's advice?

Attempt 2:
- opened .nbz file with binreader
- files begin to download
- there are 84 .rar files and 14 .par2 files
- each file upon completion states "finished incomplete"
- no files appear in download (complete or incomplete) folder
- all files downloaded state "finished incomplete"
- cannot open any file that was supposedly downloaded
- no files are automatically unpacked or repaired using the .par2 files
- click on folder entitled 'downloads' in that navigation bar of binreader and no files are there at all

Possible Solution 2:
- Same as Q2's original advice. Assumption is that the files are older than I can access with current account.

Attempt 3:
- using .dlc to download using Jdownloader
- use first .dlc file in the subfolder (there are 4)
- files open and begin to download .rar files (33 parts are all .rar - there are 0 .par2 files)
- rapidshare begins to download at 30 kbps (download will take [at current] 1 day 3 hours, 41 minutes...)

Question for Attempt 3: 1.) Do I need to download all four files to complete the process?

I've searched for tutorials and troubleshooting guides to try and solve this on my own, but have had no such luck. Has anyone else using a mac been through this process? If anyone here could help I would appreciate it.

The reason you won't find much help tutorial wise is that they assume that you already have a half decent news provider which you don't; get one and your problems will disappear. Listen to Q2 he knows what he's talking about.

The reason you don't have any PAR files to download via Rapidshare is that it's a direct download locker and nothing whatsoever to do with usenet so you don't need them.

If there's 4 DLC files that means there's probably 4 different version of the edit, pick the one that suits you the best and then download every single file from that particular dlc. Using rapidshare as a free user will take forever and since there aren't many edits on rapidshare anymore it would be a bit of a waste of time and money to buy a premium account.

If you want to download edits then, thanks to the current climate, usenet or torrent are the best conduits.

GIYF.

Google Is Your Friend

Back
Top Bottom