• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Article: DUNE: THE ALTERNATIVE EDITION REDUX by SPICEDIVER

gloomfrost

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well this is my first review ever of a fan edit, and what a way to begin. I don't care what anyone says i really liked Dune, the original cut. In fact i saw the film before i read the book. Yes the book is far superior but with a writer like Frank Herbert how could you translate the book into a film. If you had an unlimited budget and 4 films totaling 12 hours total, your still not even close.

With that said this edit is now the standard for how i see Dune as directed by David Lynch.

The four Book format splits up the film very nicely and the quotes from the Book Dune just lend an aura of class and refinement as well as respect for the book.

The audio work is superb, the music selection and presence is not overdone and different music in different scenes fit much more with the action on screen. The dialog isolation from the music and the remix is really studio level audio editing.I really liked the music selection for the water of life scene when the little maker is creating the water of life.

As someone said on the forum thread, the ending, just brilliant.

The only 2 negatives are the scene with The Reverend Mother and Jessica in her quarters and the last scene she says "He's here" and the next shot Paul is sleeping. The second is a minor thing, but i really liked when we first see Paul's eyes have changed to Blue is when he has called and ridding a worm for the first time as the leader we see his eyes changed to blue, this scene is removed.

Two very small complaints that i can live with, the experience as a whole is just so fantastic.

Thanks SPICEDIVER i really do think David Lynch and Frank Herbert would be proud :)

Top Bottom