• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: The Legacy's End

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BSG:  PROMISED LAND
Update:  February 12, 2020 -- now available on VIMEO:
password:  BSG
:D

David Kerin returns to bring us the final chapters in the original epic Battlestar Galactica saga!
Finally the classic series has a finale that it deserves!!!!

JUDGEMENT DAY:

Fanedit Name: Battlestar Galactica: Judgement Day

Brief Synopsis:
Starbuck is marooned on a desolate, inhospitable planet.
His only companions are a mysterious pregnant woman and a damaged Cylon.
Now Starbuck must face his ultimate test of courage and self-sacrifice!

Faneditor Name: David Kerin
Original Film Name: Galactica 1980 – The Return of Starbuck
Studio Name: Universal Studios
Genre: Science Fiction
Fanedit Type: True Fan Edit
Original Running Time: 45:00
Original Release Date: 1980
Fanedit Running Time: 47:14
Fanedit Release Date: June 2012
Amount of time cut.: Added 2:14
Intention: To take the final, and only acceptable, episode of Galactica 1980, and remove all aspect of that show to make it fit into the timeline of the original series.

CUT LIST: Dr. Zee’s narration bookends to the episode. Dr. Zee’s narration throughout the episode.

Technical Info: This was actually created many years ago, but only released on this DVD now (June 2012). At the time the only decent released source was a VHS copy under Goodtimes Home Video Brand (purchased at Suncoast Video). Thus the poor quality of the video compared to today’s DVD releases. I would like to go back one day and redo this off the DVD release, but time and other projects keep pushing that to the back burner. So while the quality is not great, it does tell the story.

Special Notes: The opening shots include new CGI Viper shots that I build and animated, based on the designs from the Tom DeSanto Battlestar Galactica film that did not make it into production. I used a few voice clips from the episode Hand of God to fill out the conversation between Starbuck and Boomer during this flight. The new FX sequences were all created by me.

PROMISED LAND

Fanedit Name: Battlestar Galactica: The Promised Land
Brief Synopsis:
After nearly a generation lost in the dark wilderness of space the rag tag fleet has finally found the planet Earth! But the legendary lost 13th Colony is not the sanctuary they had hoped for and with a Cylon Armada closing in, Adama must lead the Galactica in one last battle to save the future of humanity!

Faneditor Name: David Kerin
Original Film Name: Galactica 1980
Studio Name: Universal Studios
Genre: Science Fiction
Fanedit Type: True Fan Edit
Original Running Time: 2:15:00 (for pilot of G:1980 – rough estimate as I take parts from different episodes.)
Original Release Date: 1980
Fanedit Running Time: 38:13
Fanedit Release Date: June 2012
Amount of time cut.: 1:35:00 (extreme rough estimate as it is pieced from numerous episodes)
Intention: To take the much disliked (outright hated) Galactica 1980, and see if it can be re-edited in some way to make it a more satisfying ending to the original Glen A. Larson Battlestar Galactica series.

CUT LIST: Jamie Hamilton, flying motorcycles, invisible Vipers, time travel, Doctor Mortinson, and anything with them riding the bikes around on Earth. All aspects of Super Scouts. All aspects of human Cylons. Limited amount of Dr. Zee with an attempt to give Adama back more of his authority, and not simply listening to Zee for every move.

Technical Info: Original Source from Galactica 1980 DVD set. Uses clips from Galactica 1980, Battlestar Galactica, Battlestar Galactica 2003 video game, Godzilla Final Wars, Independence Day, Gamera the Revenge of Iris, Farscape, V, V The Final Battle, Star Trek 5, and Spacetelescope.org. Additional cgi effects and compositing done by David Kerin. CGI Battlestar model created by Ray Folk.

Special Notes: This is more than an edit of one particular episode of the series, but a mixing of bits and pieces from various episodes from Battlestar Galactica and Galactica 1980 to attempt to build a cohesive story that gives us a satisfactory ending to the series.

bsglegacysenddavidkerin.jpg

DVD artwork by the Colonial Warrior known only as Rogue-theX.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wicked dvd! I really liked it, this is one hell of an action packed conclusion. 8.5/10 overall.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BB, you're a nostalgia machine! :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
BB, you're a nostalgia machine! :)

Well I can not take any credit for this particular edit, while I was one of many collaborators, this vision and magic is the brainchild of David.

But yes, I do have a great fondness for the adventure and sci-fi shows of the 1970s and 80s. As I have stated before, the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is my Star Wars. For me, this show is pure magic. Yes, some elements of the show are bit dated or cheesy, but the core concepts and iconic characters are timeless.

A brief recap, BSG created by Glen A. Larson, was originally intended to be a series of television movies, not a weekly series. The first three movies were all mapped out and in various stages of production -- Saga of a Starworld (the 3 hour pilot), Lost Planet of the Gods and Gun on Ice Planet Zero. However, the early reviews of the pilot and then extraordinary ratings on premiere night caused the network to change gears and order BSG immediately as a weekly series. This of course left the production team scrambling for scripts and special effects. So yes, some true stinkers were produced that first and only season (The Young Lords) but also some incredible gems were produced too -- The Living Legend, War of the Gods, The Hand of God. Also, there were some very unique elements to this show that was still pretty much unheard of 70s adventure shows -- large recurring supporting cast, serialized storylines, incredible production values -- things that we take for granted today, BSG was one of the first to do it seriously.

Unfortunately due to internal network politics and Galactica's expensive budget (it was easily the most expensive show on tv at the time), the show was not renewed for a second season though everyone had expected it to return. But very quickly, the network realized what ratings gold they had because every other show they put in to replace it bombed. So the network did something unheard of, they asked Larson to bring back Galactica, though under very strict conditions -- a child friendly early time slot (ie no sex or violence, but educational tidbits inserted into the stories) and a slashed budget.

Why Larson accepted this offer, I have no idea. Most of the writers, producers and actors from BSG were unavailable or uninterested in returning, so Larson came up with the idea of setting the story a generation later with the Galactica finding Earth. It could have been an interesting idea, ripe with potential stories but what was produced was a complete unwatchable mess. Some the worst episodes of television ever created. The show was dumbed down to the point where even I a 10 year old felt insulted. ADAMA (the only real returning character) was diluted into a weak shadow of his former self looking to DR. ZEE (a kid genius) for constant instruction and support. The new actors playing Troy (Boxey all grown up) and Dillon were more boring than watching paint dry. And worst offender of all, the show made no attempt to adhere to its own wonderful mythology.

Fans of the original series immediately abandoned the sequel show, and it was quickly axed after 10 episodes. Though there was one small gem produced, the final episode RETURN OF STARBUCK. It is the only episode most BSG fans will acknowledge, otherwise G80 is just a very bad dream.

So it even more amazing in my opinion David was able to craft a story out of the garbage that makes up the G80 series. A story that is not only coherent with a definite beginning, middle and end, but that honors the mythology of the original series too. Even more extraordinary, he was able to salvage Adama and re-establish him as a figure of hope and authority, while making Zee a more interesting and vital character.

It is a fantastic piece of editing and narration.

For me, this is canon. This is the final lost chapters of the Battlestar Galactica saga.

:)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hhmmmm....

is it JUDGEMENT
or
JUDGMENT...?

I find both spellings used.:-o

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And we spell it COLOR, not COLOUR. Take that. :canada:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
And we spell it COLOR, not COLOUR. Take that. :canada:

He shoots! He scores!!!!

oh yeah, we OWN hockey!!!!

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Well I am Canadian, so that explains everything.:canada:
Hey, speak for yourself, pally! ;) I started spelling everything the American way on purpose back in grade 7 or 8 to see if my teachers would correct it and they never did. Haha. I also started printing everything around that time too and they never said anything, possibly because it was so much better than my horrible handwriting.

Anyway, you know what? I wanna see this...pronto!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin said:
Hey, speak for yourself, pally! ;) I started spelling everything the American way on purpose back in grade 7 or 8 to see if my teachers would correct it and they never did. Haha.
Well, we call it 7th or 8th grade, so there. ;)

kane1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This might be a stupid question, but in what order should I watch these BSG edits?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1: Judgement day
2: Promised land

kane1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And the others? I know Saga of Star World comes first and this one comes last, but I'm unsure of the ones in-between. Thanks ;-)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kane1138 said:
And the others? I know Saga of Star World comes first and this one comes last, but I'm unsure of the ones in-between. Thanks ;-)

Order to watch the David Kerin BSG edits are:

SAGA OF A STARWORLD
THE TOMBS OF KOBOL
THE LIVING LEGEND
THE WAR OF THE GODS
EXPERIMENT IN TERRA/THE HAND OF GOD
JUDGEMENT DAY
THE PROMISED LAND

.... though I do not know how many of these edits are still available...??? ;-)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You are welcome.

If you are a BSG fan,
maybe check out a little fan edit call BSG The Second Coming. (... ain't I stinker?!!!:p)

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've tried to find this, but I can't,. Or am I blind?

Top Bottom