• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Brian DePalma’s PHANTOM, The Swan Song Edit by Dr Saperstein

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
_front-134029387850.jpg

Fanedit Name: Brian DePalma's Phantom, the Swan Song Edit
Faneditor Name: Dr. Sapirstein
Original Movie Title: Phantom of the Paradise
Genre: Drama, Mystery

Fanedit Type: Extended Edition
Original Release Date: 1974
Fanedit Release Date: October 2008
Original Running Time: 91 minutes
Fanedit Running Time: 92 minutes
Time Added: 1 minutes

Brief Synopsis:
This restores all the uncut original scenes, as well as the “Swan Song” logos as they were meant to be seen before the film had to be optically modified right before its release due to a lawsuit with Led Zeppelin.

Intention:
My goal was to restore all the uncut original scenes, as well as the “Swan Song” logos as they were meant to be seen before the film had to be optically modified right before its release due to a lawsuit with Led Zeppelin (all the “Swan Song” logos throughout the film had to be replaced with the infamous “dead bird” one, and some scenes had to be trimmed or deleted). The original film material seemed to be lost forever, until the owner of the amazing Swan Archive website acquired some of the original 35mm camera negatives, had them digitized and previewed some of the footage on his website. Thanks to his generosity, I was able to re-edit the film the way it was meant to be seen, and to reinsert the original “PHANTOM” title, as well as the missing gore shot of Winslow escaping the warehouse. Note that despite the digital corrections used, the quality between the film and the extended/unseen bits greatly varies: the newly added parts aren’t perfect due to the source’s quality (10fps .flv files). Therefore, this version of “Phantom” is mostly recommended for completists and fans of this amazing film. I hope you’ll enjoy it!

Cuts and Additions:
00:01:42 – Original “BRIAN DEPALMA’S PHANTOM” title restored in place of the “Phantom Of The Paradise” one.
00:03:06 – Extended shot of Winslow in front of the Majestic with “Swan Song” title.
00:11:56 – Swan Song title reinserted on the transitory “Death Records” logo.
00:12:10 – Extended shot of Winslow meeting the greasers in the Hallway leading to Swan’s office (mute scene).
00:12:58 – Building plaque at the door of Swan’s building corrected with the original “Swan Song Enterprise” plaque.
00:24:49 – Missing gore shot of Winslow’s face reinserted along with his escape from the warehouse (bad audio).
00:45:54 – Aerodrome scene: All the “Dead Bird” logos have been replaced with the original “Swan Song” logos (shaky at times due to the forced zoom-in).

+ ALL THE WAY THROUGH: I have replaced the DVD audio mix with the original audio mix from the original US Laserdisc (re-synched and remastered), which is more dynamic and truer to the film’s original version.

Release Information
NTSC DVD-5

Special Features
- 35 minutes of unseen footage & alternate takes [mute] taken from the 35mm camera negatives that were recently discovered and shared by the amazing Swan Archive website.
- 4 TV spots.
- Animated menu.

I would be very grateful and excited to be able to watch this edit. I have been a huge fan since I first saw it in theaters in grade 5!

I have both DVD and the French blu-ray versions.

Thanks very much.

John

Creox said:
I would be very grateful and excited to be able to watch this edit.

Send a PM to Dr.Sapirstein and ask him, he's the editor for it.

I tried but i got the reply there was no such recipient. I also sent a message to Qr in the edits forum page.

I got the PM but didn't respond because I've never seen it nor have I ever downloaded it. No idea where it is. Not sure why someone would randomly PM me about an edit I had nothing to do with.

Probably because you started the thread. Also I was pointing out the typo.

TV's Frink said:
Probably because you started the thread. Also I was pointing out the typo.

Ah. I suppose that makes sense.

Any chance of redoing this to fix the foibles, such as the floating Swan Song logo on the podium?

Back
Top Bottom