• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek PHASE II RELAUNCH

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic! I'll make sure I download them while I can. I'll probably stitch together the two halves of The Protracted Man and fix the aspect ratio.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bob's last two posts had me going down the rabbit hole of reading about this series. It seems very interesting, I may have to check it out at some point.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad I downloaded them. They're gone from YouTube now.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I downloaded the .mp4 files from YouTube, but they're all kinds of messed up. Parts 1 and 2 of "The Protracted Man" don't split between scenes, but right in the middle of a line of dialogue, and it looks like a couple of frames got dropped between the end of Part 1 and the start of Part 2. Additionally, aspect ratio of both parts is not correct. They appear to have been filmed at 16:9, but both videos have been rendered at low quality 854x480 resolution, with the actual video content condensed to a 640x480 area in the middle and black bars on either side. This isn't too big of a deal, because I can crop and zoom in Vegas (changing the 854 width to 640, marking Maintain Aspect Ratio as "No", and marking Stretch to Fill the Frame as "Yes"). Then I just need to set the frame size of the output to 640x480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.33, which should give me just the 640x480 section of the original video I want, but displaying it at the correct 16:9 ratio. Unfortunately, this means that the final image quality is even worse than what I'm starting with. But the REALLY BIG problem is that Vegas says Part 1 has a frame rate of 29.00 fps and Part 2 has a frame rate of 29.970. I think it probably should have all been at 29.97, but I'm not sure what I can do to fix the frame rate in the first part so that it doesn't come out jittery or slowed down by 3%.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update: I was able to get the framerates fixed, crop the videos, fix the aspect ratios, and concatenate the two pieces of "The Protracted Man. I've got it uploaded to Google Drive if anybody wants a link.

The folder also contains the two original halves of the video that I was working with and a copy of the other missing episode "Torment of Destiny" that I snagged before it was removed from YouTube. Quality of that video is also not great, but it's all that was ever available, and something is better than nothing.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update: I found both halves of "The Protracted Man" on Dailymotion. Here they are just the 640x480 portion of the video (without the letterboxing at 854x480), but they're still the wrong aspect ratio, the framerate on Part 1 is still 29 fps instead of 29.97 fps. And of course, the missing soundtrack and special effects are still missing. I was hoping I could remux everything, but the end result isn't any better than what I've already done.

[video=dailymotion]

[video=dailymotion]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STARSHIP FARRAGUT is returning!

After nearly 5 years of waiting, the fan series finale movie HOMECOMING is being released this week.
Also, the producers have announced a sequel project called FARRAGUT FORWARD, set during the TWOK movie era.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazing!

I love the movie era more than TOS. Farragut has 6 full length episodes, 2 animated episodes, a comic and a few shorts, so you’re going into Forward with a rich history that makes it even more rewarding.

Apart from Phase II, which lets be honest only lasted from Blood and Fire to Kitumba, this is the first long-running fan series to take their characters from one era to another

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apart from Phase II, which lets be honest only lasted from Blood and Fire to Kitumba,

Sorry, a bit confused.... do you not consider the New Voyages episodes as part of the same series?

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, a bit confused.... do you not consider the New Voyages episodes as part of the same series?
Aaah yes I do of course, sorry, I meant the 'reboot' plan lasted a few episodes before Cawley decided he wanted to be faithful to TOS again, back to NV then closed down

I preferred the new approach to the faithful! Controversially on DVD I did NV, PII and rival series CON (more popular but I preferred Cawley's, though I'm glad they finally gave us an ending!) as one season (my DVD collection so I can do what I bloody like lol! Plus I ignore stardates, too technical for me), with one having to overlook diferences:

0. No Win Scenario
1. In Harm's Way
2. Center Seat
3. You've Got The Conn
4. Happy Birthday Scotty!
5. Pilgrim of Eternity
6. Lolani
7. The White Iris
8. Divided We Stand
9. Come Not Between The Dragons
10. Embracing the Winds
11. To Serve All My Days
12. World Enough and Time
13. Blood and Fire: The Movie
14. Enemy: Starfleet!
15. Come What May
16. The Child
17. Kitumba
18. Going Boldly
19. The Holiest Thing
20. Origins: The Protracted Man
21. Torment of Destiny
22. Still Treads The Shadow
23. What Ships Are For
24&25. To Boldly Go (Parts 1&2)

Yes there are others like Mind-Sifter and Fairest of Them All but they were explicitlly set during TOS. As you can see both shows gave us a season's worth of Star Trek all together! If that's season 5, Season 4 can be either TAS or those video games the cast voiced in the 90s! :p

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aaah yes I do of course, sorry, I meant the 'reboot' plan lasted a few episodes before Cawley decided he wanted to be faithful to TOS again, back to NV then closed down

I preferred the new approach to the faithful! Controversially on DVD I did NV, PII and rival series CON (more popular but I preferred Cawley's, though I'm glad they finally gave us an ending!) as one season (my DVD collection so I can do what I bloody like lol! Plus I ignore stardates, too technical for me), with one having to overlook diferences:

Thanks for clearing that up.

And I agree with you completely on all counts. I too preferred Cawley's original intent of moving towards the the Lost Years with glorious 16x9 cinematics.
And while CON may have had consistently better soundstage values, I thought NV/P2 had bolder, stronger, better storytelling. And I always enjoyed Cawley's interpretation of Kirk.

I love your blending of both series into one single season! Might be time for me to rebuild my collection and steal your idea! Ha!

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m glad that some of the Phase ii ideas managed to be brought to life. It’s one of those abandoned projects that you half believe exists, it’s so well documented!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
0. No Win Scenario
1. In Harm's Way
2. Center Seat
3. You've Got The Conn
4. Happy Birthday Scotty!
5. Pilgrim of Eternity
6. Lolani
7. The White Iris
8. Divided We Stand
9. Come Not Between The Dragons
10. Embracing the Winds
11. To Serve All My Days
12. World Enough and Time
13. Blood and Fire: The Movie
14. Enemy: Starfleet!
15. Come What May
16. The Child
17. Kitumba
18. Going Boldly
19. The Holiest Thing
20. Origins: The Protracted Man
21. Torment of Destiny
22. Still Treads The Shadow
23. What Ships Are For
24&25. To Boldly Go (Parts 1&2)

Yes there are others like Mind-Sifter and Fairest of Them All but they were explicitlly set during TOS. As you can see both shows gave us a season's worth of Star Trek all together! If that's season 5, Season 4 can be either TAS or those video games the cast voiced in the 90s! :p
How did you chose the order of your episodes? I would consider "my" version of the timeline to be TOS, TAS, IDW's Year Four comics, Phase II, IDW's Year Five comics, Continues, then the movies.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How did you chose the order of your episodes? I would consider "my" version of the timeline to be TOS, TAS, IDW's Year Four comics, Phase II, IDW's Year Five comics, Continues, then the movies.
Good question - I don't do stardates, they are totally ignored! When they're set, promotions (hence Come What May is so far down the list - Chekov is in red), it is hard as CON was a lot more restricted in moving forward, trying to be TOS as possible. NV/PII was a bit freer in putting things in from the movies and later shows.

No Win Scenario is set before anything and I've put In Harm's Way second, I've then gone CON for about haf a dozen episodes, then TSAMD taking to the end of Nv/PII, then the last four CON, so its really a CON sandwich with PII/NV in the middle.

And bare in mind that was 'the second draft' hence why Come What May is where it is - you point something out and I rethink everything lol, turn upside down to see what I see from another angle etc etc (did I miss this? Did I overlook that?) My brain overworks, Im not saying Im a genius by any stretch of the imagination! Like I say it's never going to be 100% consistent and you have to overlook things with two production groups with two approaches.

After NV it's like time rewinds because of TBG because it's more TOSey with little hints towards the films in the last couple of episodes. I know the final story has been done multiple times in comics and books but it's great to finally have that finale on screen, prepping for TMP

AlphaPrime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Starship Farragut is my favorite Star Trek fan film series. Feels likes a proper continuation of the original series.

Top Bottom