• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek PHASE II RELAUNCH

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice, can't wait! Kudos to Cawley on this move. It takes a lot to step down from the leading role of a very personal project of yours and consider someone else as a better fit. Looking forward to see eventually how the new guy will hold up

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds (and looks) like a good decision. The series is only going to get stronger. :) (This plus isn't their new Spock actor Zach Quinto's brother?)

Also interested to see how "Star Trek Continues" turns out. (The one with Chris Doohan playing Scotty and Grant Imahara as Sulu.)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very interesting. On the one hand, I'm actually a bit sorry to see Cawley step down. I didn't much care for him at first, but he grew on me as Kirk, and I think he eventually made the role his own. On the other, this does seem like a good decision in terms of bringing the acting up to the same level as the effects, design, and direction.

I also can't help thinking that on some level, this could be a way of addressing the "professional actor" and "our guy looks more like Kirk" angles that Star Trek Continues brings to the table. Now "the odds will be even," to quote Spock...I'm interested in both, and I think this could raise the interest level in fans in general.

I can only speculate, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new McCoy too...John Kelley is a doctor, not an actor (yeah, I know, but it's true).

Oh, and UA: my understanding isn't that he's really Quinto's brother; it's just that they both were surprised at how much alike they looked when he served as Quinto's stand-in for the film (not sure if you were being serious or not) :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the demo reel of the new actor cast as Kirk....

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. That's dedication. If I had, say, my own continuing Star Wars production, one of the biggest kicks for me would be getting to play Luke Skywalker or some other Jedi myself. Since Cawley technically doesn't have to answer to anybody, it just shows that no one cares more than him about making the best production possible - even if it means removing himself as the star. Massive props to him.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Oh, and UA: my understanding isn't that he's really Quinto's brother; it's just that they both were surprised at how much alike they looked when he served as Quinto's stand-in for the film (not sure if you were being serious or not) :)
I must have misunderstood a casual reference to it at some point and just went with it. Thanks for the correction! :oops:

[Quick IMDb/Google search later]

So Brandon Stacy was Zach's double on ST11, and is playing Spock in Phase II...
So who is the guy playing the vaguely Spock-lookin' Romulan? (Voice supplied by Wil Wheaton.)

Is this just a nobody?

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been a supporter of this project since BEFORE Come What May came out, and I don't plan on stopping now!

It is a smart move considering James has WILD WILD WEST in the works and he's touring as Elvis to pay for everything, but at least he's continuing as Senior EP and continuing to present seasons 4 and 5 of TOS, plus bringing in PHASE II elements and moving towards TMP. Hopefully this will give James more breathing space to concentrate on BTS stuff. They try to do a September shoot too, but alas timing rarely works out.

Brandon Stacey and John Kelley are perfect in their roles, I think maybe getting an experienced TV/FILM actor will raise the bar considerably. Yes, most of the cast has been replaced, but remember they shoot an episode a year, so actors get older and being a voluntary projects, situations change.

I'm going nowhere - the idea of change gets me so excited.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know John Kelly was replaced for one of the upcoming episodes, though I am unclear if this was a one time event or permanent? I really enjoy his interpretation of McCoy, while not as cranky he brings a certain warmth and charm to the role.

Also, Brandon Stacy played one of the big villains ( the evil Betazed guy) in the later seasons of HIDDEN FRONTIER.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I really enjoy his interpretation of McCoy, while not as cranky he brings a certain warmth and charm to the role.

+1, i like his version of McCoy.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I know John Kelly was replaced for one of the upcoming episodes, though I am unclear if this was a one time event or permanent?

Well I read today over on the Trek forum, John Kelly was unavailable for the filming of the last episode "MIND-SIFTER", so another actor plays McCoy.

But good news, Kelly returns in the following (and currently filming) episode.;-)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like an interesting choice, and I hope she gets to show off her stage combat training at some point; it would be good to have Uhura be in the thick of things for a change.

I also note on her resume that she "can Pogo-Stick with no hands." I have no idea how that would be a useful skill in ST, but it sounds like something worth seeing! :lol:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting. The article says that they "needed to recast," so it sounds like the previous actress jumped ship to the other production, as opposed to Phase II hiring a new actress, so the last one just looked elsewhere for an acting gig.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
James Crawley released a very rough clip (no sound or video work done) of the upcoming episode "BREAD AND SAVAGERY" featuring the new KIRK....

Looks good to me!;-)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crawley and Company continue forward with their relaunch with their latest vignette.

We get a great look at the new Kirk, I spotted two characters from the Animated Series, new nacelles, new torpedo launcher and great use of the James Horner Khan score!

Enjoy!!

:)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Definitely promising. I wonder whether, somewhere down the line, someone will create a hybrid episode of this and Star Trek Continues, taking the best characters/actors from each, not unlike what Mollo did with Star Trek: Bugs.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tumblr_lzab0q61aJ1qcekewo1_500.gif

They even used Ralph McQuarrie's space dock concept!
0004-Star-Trek-04.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Trailer for the upcoming ORIGINS THE PROTRACTED MAN...

Top Bottom