• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Have you guys heard the Blade Runner news yet?

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just stumbled across this link in another forum:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ ... ounce.html

I've been camping out philipkdick.com for almost a year now, ever since I heard rumors of the Final Cut. The best part is that it comes with all the previous versions in its very first release. (if only Lucas had done that, there wouldn't be any controversy over the Special Editions because we'd all still be watching whichever one we prefer)

Now what is new here is that it isn't just the three previously released versions, the European cut, the US theatrical cut, and the Director's Cut. A restored version of the workprint cut is also being included (although I've heard rumors that there were two, so I'm not sure how that works out - did one of them end up becoming the Director's Cut that didn't involve the director's final approval?)

But either way, I'm very excited about the DVD release, though disappointed by the lack of a real theatrical run for the Final Cut during Blade Runner's 25th Anniversary. I was hoping to see it in theaters myself, but I don't live in either of the cities where they're planning on showing it.

This "new and improved special effects" bit worries me slightly, but after seeing Black Hawk Down, I'm confident that they'll fit in or be cut out. There weren't many visual problems with the film the first time.

Zebedee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have to say it It looks beautiful!!

bladerunner5discultimatedvd.jpg

Already preordered mine at amazon.

Sprug's decapitated head

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That set looks great and all, and i've been waiting for it for a very long time and it is exciting -- but what is it with the shitty digipak packaging? I HATE cardboard DVD cases, they fall apart if i even look at them. And i'm the kind of person that is very protective and takes care of all my DVD's (i won't even let people borrow them). So that 5 disc foldout digipak BS is very depressing to me. The 5 disc set of Dust Devil is in one armaray DVD case, so any DVD sets being released in a foldout case from now on is unacceptable. I think i'll be writing the company about this, because if the casing doesn't change, i won't be buying it. I mean, for $80 they had better include a DVD case that's at least made of plastic! I refuse to own any more digipaks as they're garbage (Robocop trilogy and The Punisher extended cut come to mind) I find this to be a cheap slap in the face. :(

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow!!!!! Two awesome news in a day!!!!! :grin:

Ps. I told you, killbillme! ;)

ReverendBeastly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Umm... did you miss in that Digital Bits article that said it'd have a limited theatrical run in New York and LA starting in October?

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally a date!!! October this year! :)

I'm game. I only wish they will also release a more "normal" version instead of that case version. First I think this case version will cost a lot of money, and I really don't need all these cards etc, I just want the DVD's, nothing more. And second a case will require more space in my DVD rack, which right now I don't have. Just give me a standard release with an amaray case with all those DVD discs.

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
Maybe you should just be more careful with your stuff? ;)

Yeah man. half the dvd's I own are in cardboard packaging and I've never had a problem.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
T-HOPE said:
I'm game. I only wish they will also release a more "normal" version instead of that case version. First I think this case version will cost a lot of money, and I really don't need all these cards etc, I just want the DVD's, nothing more.

The big baddy will cost around 80 $ which is not cheap but I think I?ll get a hard on if i stare longer than 10 seconds on it...

:)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
80 bucks is nuthin'

People whine too much when it comes to DVDs these days. Anyone here who was a laserdisc guy will know what I mean.

I'd pay a helluva lot more than $80 for that case set. :D

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
$80 thats like ?35-$40 in real money yeah ;)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldn't know...I'm an Aussie, so it's even higher. 'Bout $100-120 I'd reckon.

December can't come fast enough, that's all I know. :)

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
GyRo567 said:
The best part is that it comes with all the previous versions in its very first release.
No, the 2006 release was the "first release", the plan being to put that on the market and bring the final cut over a year later in 2007 after a limited theatrical run most of us won't appreciate. So they're forcing fans to double-dip (I didn't buy the 2006 DVD because i'm waiting for the final cut). Though I understand they probably wanted to work out market demand using the 2006 release, I am annoyed that it's taken so long - I mean it seems excessively long to me (then again I have been waiting since 2005 or whenever their plan was officially announced which was a very long time before even the 2006 DVD!!).
Uncanny Antman said:
I wouldn't know...I'm an Aussie, so it's even higher. 'Bout $100-120 I'd reckon.

December can't come fast enough, that's all I know. :)
You're kidding right? our DVD's cost much less then R1!
T-HOPE said:
I'm game. I only wish they will also release a more "normal" version instead of that case version.
There is - it's the 4-disc one. If you're not interested in the case and everything else that goes with it, I don't see why you'd want the workprint disc anyway!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dude learn to quote properly that last post is a mess.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Daniel said:
Well, I am interested in the workprint, and in all the other discs. But in a large case that does not fit on my DVD racks anymore, together with all these cards etc. I just want the DVD discs, and not the rest.

I really hope they will release some kind of 5 discs set (I see on the pic that there a 5 discs in the case) in some kind of amaray keepcase.

I'm a fan of the blade runner, that's why I want all those discs. I'm not such a big fan that I want a case and all those cards.

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's three versions. The 2-disc set I am sure will be in an armary case.

I don't mind cardboard packaging. It think it LOOKS great, but does degrade. My Memento LE looks like somebody put it through the washing machine. But damn, it just looks so sweet.

The case edition is supposed to have an MSRP of $78.92 So 60-65 bucks actual price, probably. Not too bad. I think I will take the plunge.

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, the 2006 release was the "first release", the plan being to put that on the market and bring the final cut over a year later in 2007 after a limited theatrical run most of us won't appreciate. So they're forcing fans to double-dip (I didn't buy the 2006 DVD because i'm waiting for the final cut). Though I understand they probably wanted to work out market demand using the 2006 release, I am annoyed that it's taken so long - I mean it seems excessively long to me (then again I have been waiting since 2005 or whenever their plan was officially announced which was a very long time before even the 2006 DVD!!).

While I honestly didn't think about that, I think it's worth noting that if you take that as applying only to the Final Cut, then it's fully accurate. Afterall, the director himself had little to do with the Director's Cut.

The only part I'm still disappointed about is the fact that the 5th DVD doesn't come in a standard case without all the other crap. Frankly, I find the extra stuff silly. And I suppose I also kinda hope that the 5th DVD sucks, so that I won't feel like I'm missing anything when I get the 4 DVD set.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Daniel said:
You're kidding right? our DVD's cost much less then R1

Yeah, but I ain't going R4 for Blade Runner. I'll be importing the R1.

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
Yeah, but I ain't going R4 for Blade Runner. I'll be importing the R1.
For what purpose (assuming the R4 is the same but PAL)?

Top Bottom