• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Am I remembering this scene wrong?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, while playing around with the footage from RotS, specifically the duel on Mustafar, I kept waiting for a moment that I really enjoyed: the moment where a hacked-off Obi-Wan just outright punches Anakin in the face.

I enjoyed the moment because, like everyone else, I had suffered through Anakin's whining for too long by this point, and because it was a rare moment in the duel that didn't feel overly choreographed. In the middle of all this "dancing" and jumping around, finally Obi-Wan seems like he's actually fighting for his life. Desperate to get Anakin off of him, he just hauls off and cold-cocks his padawan in the face.

It had been a while since I saw it, and I was wondering if the moment would now read as silly to me instead of cool. So I waited for it . . . and it never happened.

Now, here's the thing. As much as I didn't like RotS even when it came out, all of my friends knew me as "the Star Wars guy," so everyone wanted to see the movie with me. I saw the movie about 5 times in a month. So it's not like I saw it once seven years ago, forgot how the duel went, and then saw it again this year. I could swear that I saw the scene multiple times in the theater, and even discussed how much I liked it with them.

But we all have our gaps in memory. Many people still insist that they saw the Biggs footage in 1977, when in fact they're thinking of the radio dramatization, combined with the novelization. That footage was never in the released footage of the movie.

But then we have modern George Lucas's propensity for changing things around.

So, was this in the theatrical version and then George took it out? Or am I crazy / hallucinating / remembering an usually vivid dream?

(I don't reference RotS in the title of this thread because I think that people might want to talk about other things that they thought they remembered, only to go back and check and find out that it was different.)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only edit made to ROTS on home release was the wipe. Perhaps you saw it in some of the promotional/BTS footage?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Or maybe you have it reversed in your mind, as it is Anakin who nails Obi in the face.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe you're thinking of what happens at 1:30 of this clip:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wabid: Really? I don't remember that either. Man, my memory is going in my old age. LOL!

Antman: Good call. I did do some research into the home video release, and Wookiepedia did mention the wipe but nothing else.

Frink: I'm sure you're right, but when does Anakin hit Obi-Wan? I couldn't find any trace of either of them punching the other in the fight.

Hebrides: Yeah, that might be it, although I saw that behind-the-scenes footage well after I saw the movies. Still, that's the most likely candidate for what got confused in my memory.

Ironic that the casual friendly embrace between Ewan and Hayden at the end of their practice is far warmer than anything that we saw between the two characters onscreen - characters that were supposedly lifelong friends.

Nomarch: I had a hunch that someone was going to go there. :p LOL!

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only thing I'm remembering now is how much I hate seeing Lucas' face.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, reave, what you're saying is that you'd like to punch George Lucas in the face? :p

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Frink: I'm sure you're right, but when does Anakin hit Obi-Wan? I couldn't find any trace of either of them punching the other in the fight.
Sorry Tom, turns out it was a kick I was thinking of.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, yes. I remember the kick. That makes more sense.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Incidentally, I don't think Maul punched Qui-Gon either. He hit him in the face with his saber handle.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sith sense of humor.

Farlander

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It also could be related to SW:EpIII Video Game. Lots of promo material during the time when EpIII was released, and there are punching and kicking animations in the game (plus all the lightsaber duels from the movie are extended in the game)

Top Bottom