• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

BladeRunner391's Movie Reviews

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I thought I would start this thread and post some of my movie reviews from my Rotten Tomatoes account.

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Francis Ford Coppola once said that,"My film is not about Vietnam, it is Vietnam". Coppola disappeared in the Philippines and came back with Apocalypse Now, one of cinema's most haunting experiences. His masterpiece features surrealistic and symbolic sequences detailing the madness, confusion, and horrors of war unlike any other film before it. Although the film tells a good, thought provoking story, the script overall is incohesive, and the film suffers from a muddled, episodic middle section. Much of the film and its symbolism was rather obscure, but these are just minor complaints I have with the film. The controversial film is probably the greatest war film ever made, a long journey into the heart of darkness in all of us.

ApocalypseNownew.jpg

Apocalypse Now is set in the Vietnam war, and follows Captain Willard (Sheen) who is assigned to kill former special forces member Colonel Kurtz (Brando), who has gone insane and commands an army of native warriors deep in the jungle and is worshipped like a god. Willard must travel by boat and proceed down the nung river into Cambodia, alongside a four man crew. They are: stoned out Lance (Bottoms) Mr. Clean (Fishburne) Chief (Hall) and Chef (Forrest. All of them are unaware of the true purpose of Willard's mission and grow more and more mistrustful of him. Early on their voyage, they meet up with the film's most memorable character: Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore (Duvall), a bloodthirsty surfing fanatic who relishes in the chaos of war. In the movie's most famous scene, Kilgore's men attack a Viet-Cong controlled coastal town while Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" plays over their loudspeakers. The contrast bestween the magnificence of Wagner's music and the horrific images shown is rather powerful.

ApocalypseNow_2.jpg

After the assualt, Willard is clear to get back to his mission. At this point, the film slowed up and became way to episodic for my tastes, featuring a long search for mangos, a USO show featuring the playboy playmates, a nighmarish sampan attack, a hallucinatory venture to the Do-Lung bridge, and two ambushes resulting in Mr. Clean's and Chief's deaths. The film regains focus once they arrive at Kurtz's camp (Symbolic of the gates of Hell). Kurtz is an enigmatic figure, and we are left to wonder if he is truly insane or not. Kurtz, in a major monologue, meditates on life and death and praises the Viet Cong's ruthlesness and determination, stating that, "You have to have men who are moral, and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling, without passion, without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us". WIllard ends up agreeing and identifying with the Colonel, but in the film's haunting ending, butchers Kurtz with a machete, cross cut with the sacrificial slaughter of a real water buffalo (Animal lovers beware). Willard must then decide to take Kurtz's place, which is what Kurtz had in mind all along, or resist the tempation.

apocalypsenow.jpg

Apocalypse Now is a technical triumph, visually dazzling and well researched, and the film's battle scenes are among the best you'll ever see. The acting was top notch throughout, and the performances by Martin Sheen, Robert Duvall, and Marlon Brando in particular were oscar worthy. The film suffered a troubled production, with hurricanes destroying sets, Sheen suffering a heart attack, daily script rewrites, Brando arriving on set overweight, etc. But I think that all of this actually contributed to the film's dark and chaotic tone and feel. I have major problems with the script though. As I've said, the first and third acts were amazing, but the second lacked focus and good pacing. Some of the episodes, particularly the Do Lung bridge scene, were a bit too weird for my taste, but that's just my opinion. I loved the music from Wagner and the Doors, but I was very annoyed by the official score, except for one or two pieces of music. The film was also overlong, and I think it could be shortened by ten or twenty minutes. The ending was baffling, but I admit it rendered me speechless becuase of its power. Again, these are all minor complaints, and most people who see the film are not bothered by the stuff I mentioned.

ApocalypseNow1979.jpg

Overall, Apocalypse Now is visually striking, but excessive and unfocused. The film is often ranked among the greatest movies of all time, and I fully agree. The film has flaws, but otherwise it is a great watch, if you can handle it. Coppola's film is one of the most haunting and unpleasant films a guy can watch, and it will forever affect you and your viewpoint on war, civilization, and humanity. I give Apocalypse Now a rating of 90%, and I recommend it to people ages 16 and up.

Suggested MPAA rating: Rated R for strong violent content, distubing images, language, and brief nudity.

Directed by Francis Ford Coppola
Produced by Francis Ford Coppola
Written by: John Milius
Francis Ford Coppola
Michael Herr (narration)
Based on: Heart of Darkness by
Joseph Conrad (uncredited)
Starring: Marlon Brando
Robert Duvall
Martin Sheen
Frederic Forrest
Albert Hall
Sam Bottoms
Laurence Fishburne
Dennis Hopper
Music by: Carmine Coppola
Francis Ford Coppola
Cinematography: Vittorio Storaro
Editing by: Richard Marks
Walter Murch
Gerald B. Greenberg
Lisa Fruchtman
Studio: Zoetrope Studios
Distributed by: United Artists
Release date(s): August 15, 1979 (1979-08-15) (Original)
August 3, 2001 (2001-08-03) (Redux)
Running time: 153 minutes
203 minutes (Redux)
Language: English
Budget: $31.5 million
Box office: $78,784,010 (1979)
$83,471,511 (2002)

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Incorrect. Apocalypse Now is 100% and nothing less.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Incorrect. Apocalypse Now is 100% and nothing less.

Unless we're talking about Redux. That whole plantation scene just drags on for way too long.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Interesting to bring that up. I read an interesting little article about Director's Cuts that weaken the original. #1 on the list is Apocalypse Now.

Via Page 2: http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-...SS&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_source=channel_film
I read the same article, and what I thought was interesting was that they had the day before made a list of Director's Cuts that improve the original, and Apocalypse Now Redux was #1 on that list too. (Oddly enough I've yet to watch the redux even though I own it.)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
I read the same article, and what I thought was interesting was that they had the day before made a list of Director's Cuts that improve the original, and Apocalypse Now Redux was #1 on that list too. (Oddly enough I've yet to watch the redux even though I own it.)

:lol: Point fail.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Regular version FTW, redux = boo!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That sounds like a good edit, just add the extra boobs ;)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coppola did that already. Go to approx the hour and half mark and then the 2 hr 15 min mark.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Regular version FTW, redux = boo!

This. Don't get me wrong, Redux is still a good movie because at its core it's still Apocalypse Now, but I felt that the plantation scene was way too long and dragged the movie down, and the Playboy Bunny scenes were stupid and unnecessary.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
This. Don't get me wrong, Redux is still a good movie because at its core it's still Apocalypse Now, but I felt that the plantation scene was way too long and dragged the movie down, and the Playboy Bunny scenes were stupid and unnecessary.

Concur. And what the AV Club article says I agree with:

Other moments, like Martin Sheen’s cold-blooded killer goofing around on a surfboard swiped from Robert Duvall, do active violence to the movie’s carefully sustained tone...

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe someone on the site should recut the Redux version, removing the French Plantation scene and the playboy playmate stuff added in, but maybe keeping the extra river and Brando footage.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BladeRunner391 said:
Maybe someone on the site should recut the Redux version, removing the French Plantation scene and the playboy playmate stuff added in, but maybe keeping the extra river and Brando footage.

Don`t forget the extra boobs.

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stanley Kubrick said of the film, "You're free to speculate as you wish about the philosophical and allegorical meaning of the film-and such speculation is one indication that it has succeeded in gripping the audience at a deep level-but I don't want to spell out a verbal road map for 2001 that every viewer will feel obligated to pursue or else fear he's missed the point". As such, we are left to fend for ourselves in our quest to unravel this trandescent film. 2001 is essentially a non-verbal experience, with about 40 minutes of dialogue in a 148 minute movie, and alienates many modern viewers by its slow pace. The film, at least on the simplest level, is about the evolution of mankind and his place in the universe, as well as technological enslavement. Kubrick's masterpiece is divided into four acts, linked by music, images, and a black monolith.

2001SpaceOdyssey009-800x377.jpg

The film's first act details the dawn of man. We view beautiful shots of the African desert before we see a group of apes struggling to survive. One of them is killed in a sudden surprise attack by a leopard, and the rest of the group abandons their small water hole when a bigger group of apes scares them off. They take refuge in a small exposed rock crater. In a shocking scene, a huge black monolith has appeared overnight and the apes gather around it and make contact with it, set to Mozart's Requiem. Later, one ape suddenly discovers how a bone can be used as both a tool and a weapon, and soon the group is thriving. Did the Monolith somehow advance the evolution of the apes? Soon after this, they retake their water hole from the other group of apes with their new weapons. One ape triumphantly throws his bone in the air, and, in the most famous match cut in cinematic history, the scene shifts from the falling bone to a nuclear weapon orbiting Earth millions of years later.

MatchCut.JPG

This is the only act in the film without a title card, suggesting that humans are the same agressive animals as the apes. We view multiple satellites and such around Earth, before we see a dazzling space station, and a small shuttle traveling towards it, set to the Blue Danube Waltz. This goes on for about five minutes and is probably my favorite scene from the film. On the space station, we see Dr. Haywood Floyd, who is traveling to Clavius, a US moon outpost. Before departing, he meets up with some Russian scientists who telll him they have lost all contact with Clavius base and that no one has been able to get inside for the past ten days. They reveal their might be an epidemic at the base, but Floyd refuses to discuss the matter any further. The Blue Danube Waltz repeats as he travels to Clavius. On the base, he gives a briefing to the "council" and reveals that the epidemic is merely a cover story in order to maintain absolute secrecy, and congratulates them on their discovery. Floyd, along with a few other members of the council, travels by shuttle to an excavation site, where it turns out that the "discovery" is actually another monolith, buried on the moon four million years ago. In a striking image, he reaches out and touches it, again suggesting the connection between apes and humans. One photographer lets them pose for a photo, and while doing so they hear an ear piercing radio signal coming from the Monolith.

2001-aso-moon-monolith.jpg

18 months later, the Discovery One is on a scientific voyage to Jupiter. The ship is operated by two pilots: Dave Bowman and Frank Poole, and the iconic HAL9000 computer, who is incapable of error and seems to have real genuine emotions. The three other scientists are in hibernation and are to be awaken upon their arrival at Jupiter. Bowman talks with HAL, who reveals that an AE-35 unit will fail in about 24 hours. In a tense scene, Bowman goes into space to retrieve the faulty unit. Back inside, they find nothing wrong with it, suggesting that HAL is going nuts, or planning to kill the crew. HAL suggests putting the unit back in its place and wait for it to fail, in order to determine the cause. Bowman and Poole discuss the matter in the privacy of a EVA pod, and decide to deactivate HAL if the unit doesn't fail. HAL, however, can read their lips and decides to act. Once Poole is replacing the unit in a spacewalk, HAL kills him by severing his oxygen tank. Bowman, not grabbing his helmet, activates an EVA pod and retrieves Poole's body, but not before HAL kills the scientists by terminating their life functions. HAl denies Bowman access to the ship, and Bowman decides his only way of surviving his going through the emergency airlock. He releases Poole's body into the void and shoots himslef out of the pod into the airlock, very quickly shutting the emergency hatch. He then moves through the ship and deactivates HAL, who expresses his pain and sings "Dasiy Bell". Afterwords, a pre recorded briefing from Floyd pops up, explaining that the Monolith's radio signal was aimed at Jupiter and they sent the Discovery One to investigate.

hal_brain_room605jpg.jpg

EYE: People are intrigued not only by the implications but the essence of the ending. Could you give us your own interpretation?

KUBRICK: I don't want to because I think that the power of the ending is based on the subconscious emotional reaction of the audience, which has a delayed effect. To be specific about it, certainly to be specific about what it's supposed to mean, spoils people's pleasure and denies them their own emotional reactions.

EYE: Can you be general about what you intended?

KUBRICK: Well, I can tell you what literally, at the lowest level of plot, happens. Bowman is drawn into a stargate. He is taken into another dimension of time and space, into the presence of godlike entities who have transcended matter and who are now creatures of pure energy. They provide an environment for him, a human zoo, if you like. They study him. His life passes before him. He sees himself age in what seems just a matter of moments, he dies, and he's reborn, transfigured, enhanced, a superbeing. I don't believe that anyone is terribly far from understanding it. What people sometimes mean is that they want some confirmation of what they've seen happen, and what they think. Some people who are used to the conventions of realistic theater and the three-act play are surprised when a new form is presented to them, no matter how intensely they react to it, and no matter how much pleasure they get from it.

EYE: Bowman, after this incredible experience, winds up in an eighteenth-century French bedroom. That really flips a lot of people out. Can you tell us how you conceived of this bedroom?

KUBRICK: Well, again, this gets into the area of imagination and artistic processes, whatever they are. The room is made from his own memories and dreams. It could have been anything that you could possibly imagine. This just seemed to be the most interesting room to have. (Agel, The Making of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eye Magazine Interview, Modern Library, pp. 248-49)

Photo-5-2001-2.jpg

2001: A Space Odyssey is my favorite film and a work of art. I seriously can't find anything wrong with the movie. For those who criticize the acting as bland, it's because Kubrick was showing that humanity has been dehumanized by technology. Again, the special effects and classical soundtrack is superb. The production design for the film is among the best, featuring some of the largest and most creative sets ever built for a motion picture. The epic screenplay is perfect, leaving much of the film open to interpretation. It makes no sense but it's something to think about and discuss with your friends. Many people today dismiss 2001 today as a boring piece of crap, but not once in its 148 minutes did the film ever even begin to bore me. You must come into the film with an open mind and lots of patience, or it will be an agonizing experience.

a_space_odyssey_discovery.jpg

2001: A Space Odyssey is hands down the greatest science fiction movie of all time. Like I said, the pacing will turn off many viewers, but for those who have the patience to enjoy the movie, then you are in for treat. I give 2001: A Space Odyssey a 100% rating, and I recommend it to people ages 13 and up.

Suggested MPAA rating: Rated PG-13 for mature thematic material, some intense images, and mild language.

Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Produced by: Stanley Kubrick
Screenplay by: Stanley Kubrick
Arthur C. Clarke
Based on: "The Sentinel"
a short story by
Arthur C. Clarke
Starring: Keir Dullea
Gary Lockwood
William Sylvester
Douglas Rain (voice)
Cinematography: Geoffrey Unsworth
Editing by: Ray Lovejoy
Distributed by: MGM (original)
Warner Bros. (DVD)
Release date: April 2, 1968 (1968-04-02) (Premiere)
April 4, 1968 (1968-04-04) (Theatrical)
Running time: 161 minutes (Premiere)
142 minutes (Theatrical)
Language: English
Budget: $10.5 million
Box office: $190,000,000

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice review. Just want to not that it's rated G, not PG-13.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I need to see this one again because when I watched it I was bored to death by it. Only seen it once though and it was years ago.

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Nice review. Just want to not that it's rated G, not PG-13.

I know, that's why it says "suggested" MPAA rating. :)

Frantic Canadian said:
I think I need to see this one again because when I watched it I was bored to death by it. Only seen it once though and it was years ago.

WATCH IT!

Top Bottom